Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Traction and Treadwear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Traction and Treadwear!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm in the market for some new tires. I want traction but I don't sh*t cash so no DR's for me. If you wouldn't mind, post the tires you've had and the treadwear rating vs. how long they have lasted. I would have put this in Wheels & tires but no one looks there, we all know that.

For example, my OE Goodyear Eagle GS tires have worn themselves ragged at 25,xxx miles and are dry rotted to boot. They are 300 treadwear.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my Good Year Eagle F1 275's don't know the tread wear rating, but they are pretty sticky and they are not cracking or anything, they look brand new, I've had them for about 5 months and put about 4,000 miles on them.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

On cars like ours the life of the tire if determined more by your right foot than how soft the rubber compund is. The more aggressive you drive, the shorter the tires last. I bought my BFGs from Tirerack.com for a great price and had them mounted locally. Their website even has a few dozen reviews on just about every tire they carry. It helped me make up my mind.

Re'
Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

i got some used new fusions
they are cheap
the dont hook up at the track or the street
but ive had em for over 3 years, ohh id say 20+ thousand miles
and still lotsa tread left
Old 02-04-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have found that the Goodyears that came on the car original equipment track the straightest and truest while kumho and bfg do not track and handle as well. I was astonished to feel the difference when trying some different tires out. I was amazed I could actually notice a difference, but the Kumho ecsta or whatever its called and bfg gforce both kind of "walked" while driving. Put the goodyears on, walking gone and handling is better. Very amazing.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

nitto dr's on the rear, 555's on the front. you will get 30k from the 555's on the front, and probably 10-12k from the drag radials on the rear if you dont just literally abuse them. they dont hook like m/t's but they last 2x as long.

i have had my car for 4 years and have not had more than 1 set of the same kind of tire. dunlop, kuhmo, nitto, firestone, goodyear, bfg.. i've ran them all. i liked the nitto's the best.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

x's 2 on the Nitto Dr's on the back and regular tires up front. The nitto dr's are not too expensive and you get the added performance.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
On cars like ours the life of the tire if determined more by your right foot than how soft the rubber compund is. The more aggressive you drive, the shorter the tires last. I bought my BFGs from Tirerack.com for a great price and had them mounted locally. Their website even has a few dozen reviews on just about every tire they carry. It helped me make up my mind.

Re'

I am fully aware of all of this, I have spent my fair share of time on TireRack and Discount/Americas Tire Co. websites in the past. Just looking for F-body specific tire information.
And 1 could do a 1 mile long burnout on 500 treadwear tires and then they would be useless, I understand that, just looking for miles expected.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said.. go with a nitto dr, dont abuse it, you get 10-12k out of them before they are even below spec. probably 15k bare, but i would not recommend that. they still hooked better than regular street tires almost bald so if you play at all, that is the tire you need to run. it's simply the best all around street tire for this car, period.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
like i said.. go with a nitto dr, dont abuse it, you get 10-12k out of them before they are even below spec. probably 15k bare, but i would not recommend that. they still hooked better than regular street tires almost bald so if you play at all, that is the tire you need to run. it's simply the best all around street tire for this car, period.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id go with Nitto NT555s in 275/40-17s in the front, and 285/40-17 in the rear. They arent DRs, so they should last you quite a while.. I had this setup for approx. 2 years, and they still had tread on them.