Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny fluid in the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid in the engine?

I've had a bit of a ticking near my passenger side valve cover thats gets worse as you rev between 1 and 2k and goes away it seems at 2.5k or so. My mechanic told me to try putting auto trans fluid into the motor about 500 miles beofre time to change it. Then just drain and fill it as normal when I change it. Anyone ever heard of this? And if so, do you think it will hurt it to be almost a quart over the line on the dipstick for 500 miles? I was worried there'd be too much pressure or that the trans fluid won;t mix well with my fully synthetic oil... Or that I'd need to flush the motor after doing that. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know if it would help but if you are worried about being a quart over full why not just drain a quart of oil out before you pour the transmission fluid in?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Synthetic oils usually do a good job at keeping things clean, but rather than ATF give Marvel mystery oil a try, and never ever ever ever overfill your crankcase, unless you like the idea of leaks. So before you add a half quart of marvel, drain a half quart out(just back your drain plug out and then hold it close to the pan, do not pull it away from the pan or you will have a mess, and probably end up just draining the pan).
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

I think I may just have to try that Marvel Mystery Oil. Anyone on here had good experiences with it? Bad ones? I'm wondering also if it the ticking might be because of the cold temperature outside this time of year. It goes about 80% or so away when the car is at temperature...
Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Exh leak??
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smgbad
I think I may just have to try that Marvel Mystery Oil. Anyone on here had good experiences with it? Bad ones? I'm wondering also if it the ticking might be because of the cold temperature outside this time of year. It goes about 80% or so away when the car is at temperature...
Can you take a clip of the tick? I dunno about the Gen III/IV engines but i know a tick on a cold start is pretty normal in SBCs and LT1s. Mine ticks quite a lot if i start it up when its really cold out, but then is stops completely shortly after. If its very loud though it might be something else.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you still have the A.I.R pump in place, the "check valves" go out from time to time causing this noise.

Also wouldn't hurt to pull the valve cover on that side and check the pushrods. Ever had any serious mis shifts?

I would diagnose the problem before guessing and throwing ATF in there. But FWIW, I use ATF from time to time as an engine flush, works great. I would never use it to try and get rid of a ticking noise however.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

This is where my lack of experience in internal engine components comes into play hardcore... It's aembarrassing to admit this, but I still have never seen a pushrod, nor know what I'd be looking for under the valve cover. Do you have to remove the engine at all to get the valve cover off?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

i overfill my crank case regularly...5.5 quarts is what the manual says but i always use 6, it always puts my about 1/4 inch above the hash marks on the dipstick and no trouble to speak of. unless you spring a leak from the rear main seal it shouldnt leak at all. if you grossly overfill it it might smoke but as long as the pickup is totally submerged, oil pressure will always be the same. the only thing adding extra fluid might do is cause excessive drag on the crank.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you do not have the proper tools, and basic know-how skills then I would NOT recommend trying to pull the pushrods yourself. You can damage your engine and cost yourself a lot of money not knowing what you're doing.

What location are you in? Maybe somebody near you would be willing to lend a hand.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

I'm in Raleigh, NC. I think I may add a 1/2 quart of trans fluid and drive it for a day or two, then change the oil and filter. But I agree that I shouldn't mess with any kind of engine internals until I have someone there who's been there before.
Any takers in the area? lol
Old 02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

X2 for marvel mystery oil and sea foam is just as good!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I've heard of using ATF. Actually i would probably drain 1qt. oil and then add a quart of ATF. Driving it 500 miles wont do it any harm. As like oil, ATF also acts like a conditioner/cleaner so it may help some of the ticking noise. If there is sludge in the engine it can help remove some of it.

Its not really a solution on getting the ticking noise gone, but wouldnt hurt in your case.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

LS1 pan can hold 6 qts no problem. They can actually manage with a little over 6. Spec. only calls for 5.5...

As above, internal engine "ticking" could be caused by quite a few things. ATF isn't the solution in this case.