General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water-temp guage coolent spill!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water-temp guage coolent spill!

I bought a bunch of gauges water temp, air fuel, ect so i decided to install the water temp first. I decided to use the plug on the block behind the starter. So i drained the coolant out of the radiator and me being an idiot Took out the plug and coolant came rushing out everywhere. It looked like someone just got murdered on my garage floor. lol. How should i have drained the coolant out before hand?? Do i just put new coolant back in to the radiator and let it cycle through or what. Also does Teflon tape make a good sealant for the sending unit adapter??

Someone please help me
Old 02-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

The sending unit adapter on the back of the passenger side head?

I didn't do anything with coolant, just removed the plug and installed the sender with some ARP teflon paste on the threads. A few drips of coolant came out with the plug out. Not enough to fill a paint can cap 1/4 full.

That plug you removed is the block drain, it's there because all the coolant doesn't come out using the radiator drain.
To refill it just put the proper amount of coolant and water back in and run it until the thermostat opens, I usually get air stuck behind the thermostat and it gets real hot before eventually purging out.
Same thing as your other thread in ext engine.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM you back, Good Luck and I hope it works out.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Best way to drain all the coollant out of the block and everywhere else is to take the t-stat out and rebolt the housing back on. Take the "entire" drain valve off the bottom of the radiator so it pours out faster, let the radiator completely drain, then start the engine and let it run with a water hose in the radiator fill cap. Let it run until the water coming out is clear. When it runs clear take the hose out and let the engine run for about 30 more seconds "without" the hose in there. You just cleaned the entire block and cooling system. Put the t-stat back in. Put he drain plug back on.

Fill it back up with coolant/water...your done.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Best way to drain all the coollant out of the block and everywhere else is to take the t-stat out and rebolt the housing back on. Take the "entire" drain valve off the bottom of the radiator so it pours out faster, let the radiator completely drain, then start the engine and let it run with a water hose in the radiator fill cap. Let it run until the water coming out is clear. When it runs clear take the hose out and let the engine run for about 30 more seconds "without" the hose in there. You just cleaned the entire block and cooling system. Put the t-stat back in. Put he drain plug back on.

Fill it back up with coolant/water...your done.
Thank you very much Exactly what i needed to know!!

Search this Thread