Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Temp Guage Install ERROR!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water Temp Guage Install ERROR!!

I bought a bunch of gauges water temp, air fuel, ect so i decided to install the water temp first. I decided to use the plug on the block behind the starter. So i drained the coolant out of the radiator and me being an idiot Took out the plug and coolant came rushing out everywhere. It looked like someone just got murdered on my garage floor. lol. How should i have drained the coolant out before hand?? Do i just put new coolant back in to the radiator and let it cycle through or what. Also does Teflon tape make a good sealant for the sending unit adapter??

Someone please help me
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you talking about the plug in the passenger side head,this would be where you would put in the new sensor.Just pull out the old plug and screw in the new one.I used teflon tape on mine 3-4 years ago and it has always worked ok.Fill up your radiator and while engine is running there is a small hose on driver side of throtle body that runs behind TB,pull it off to let air escape from inside heads.Air gets traped some times in the heads this will bleed it out.Do it a couple times with motor running untill it flows steady coolant and no air.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
Are you talking about the plug in the passenger side head,this would be where you would put in the new sensor.Just pull out the old plug and screw in the new one.I used teflon tape on mine 3-4 years ago and it has always worked ok.Fill up your radiator and while engine is running there is a small hose on driver side of throtle body that runs behind TB,pull it off to let air escape from inside heads.Air gets traped some times in the heads this will bleed it out.Do it a couple times with motor running untill it flows steady coolant and no air.
No, I am talking about the drain plug on the block located behind the starter. The one that is removable with a 8mm HEX.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

The plug you pulled out is the plug you use to drain the coolant out of the motor. Typically people put the coolant sensor in the passenger side head, not the drain.