LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

header install question????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header install question????

ok here is my question. i just ordered pacesetter longtubes and ORY. my question is what is an estimated time period for the install. i do all the work and i am pretty good with my hands and work on cars in my spare time. how much time is it going to take roughly to get the old stuff out and new stuff in?? also to block off the egr hole since i got race style headers i was just going to use a adjustable freeze plug.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends as there is guys here that have done swaps in a couple of hours and guys that say it took all day or a weekend. Since you have never taken the stocker manifolds off (I presume) then you might run it issues with rusted or hard to remove header bolts. My suggestion is blast them all with a good coat of PB Blaster or a penetrating lube the night before you do the install as it might help em' when it comes to removal. Also, as to the EGR, if you are fully removing this then you need the block off plates that go on the back of the intake and assuming your new headers don't have the air tubes you won't need freeze plugs. Do a seach you will find ton's of explinations on this and the block off plates. Good luck and make sure to also buy a 12 pac of beer and some good mech gloves as you are prob gonna get frustrated and also get the infamous fbody bloody knuckles.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Launching!

yeh i saw about the block off plates when i ordered the headers and i was reading on here and everyone says that i dont need the block off plates if i got the race headers. so apparently i dont need them. and i acctually have read on here the to block off the hole in the intake from egr valve people use a adjustable freeze plug.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96formulabird
yeh i saw about the block off plates when i ordered the headers and i was reading on here and everyone says that i dont need the block off plates if i got the race headers. so apparently i dont need them. and i acctually have read on here the to block off the hole in the intake from egr valve people use a adjustable freeze plug.
LOL. No such thing as an adjustable freeze plug.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

You have to have the block off plates. I just made my own. It will probably take you all weekend to do the install.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by halucinator
LOL. No such thing as an adjustable freeze plug.
There is an adjustable plug, it's probably not called a freeze plug, but it does exist, you can find it in the plumbing section of a hardware store. But I would still use block off plates. I just left my EGR there unconnected, and I cut the EGR tube about 2" from the flange, bent it over itself and filled it with RTV. Works well so far. Just get a nice write up and take your time...next time around you'll probably finish the job in half the time.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Launching!

ok yeh i thought it was a freeze plug but maybe i read it wrong. well after i put the headers and everything on, im going too maryland f-body in baltimore and im going to get jason there to tune out my rear o2's and egr and air. he said he would take care of everything so my car would be running good. but thats besides the point. idk what im going to do with the egr wether i will get the block off plates or not. i might just do what some of u said and leave it there and just plug up the pipe running to it. im not 100% sure yet cause i dont have the headers yet....
Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you delete the AIR and EGR, what are you gonna do about the holes in the manifold?

You will need block off plates
Old 02-05-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by whytryz28
If you delete the AIR and EGR, what are you gonna do about the holes in the manifold?

You will need block off plates
If you read his first post, he said he going to get race style headers.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

My friend and i did pacesetter longtubes for his 98 ta. It was a cool set of headers it came with everything for the egr, and even O2 extentions. But it tooks us all weekend to install them cuz it was our first time, and we didnt have all the cool tools to make it fast and easy. Just good ol'elbow grease.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Took me a total of about 18 hours over 2 days with my friend.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If you read his first post, he said he going to get race style headers.
He's talking about the holes in the intake manifold for the EGR (not so much the AIR system).
Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
He's talking about the holes in the intake manifold for the EGR (not so much the AIR system).
Doh! x2.

I thought he said manifolds...the holes in the intake manifold had already been discussed prior.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for someone without a lift,a header job will definately take all day with most people. there are some that will take longer(circumstances prevail).

i have done an Lt1 and an Ls1 in the same day start to finish. that was 8am to 6pm almost non-stop....

the best way to save time is having all needed tools near you,look at the parts being removed and installed gather your tools,undo your battery first the y-pipe,starter,pull the alternator off and out of the way then remove the manifolds,if you are reusing the egr air tube attatch this while the header is loose do not tighten it yet!wait till the job is close to being done.....
obviously there is more but you should have a good idea.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Teching In

i did mine in about 21 hrs not stright but bout 3hrs a day for 7 days
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, the hardest part was getting the old manifolds out. Depending on the header brand, install was easy. I've done MACs, JHs and LPPs, and all were fairly easy. Each one was around 4 to 6 hours with the most time-consuming part being getting the bolts in.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Launching!

ok guys thanks for the input. i think im just going to wait to see what happens. once i get them i will start putting them in and will figure out all the egr and air stuff once i get started in the project. but thanks to everyone for all the helpfull info i was just curious how long roughly people have taken on the install. i will post up a new thread as i install them or after so to keep everyone up to date on how it went. can never have to many header install threads as long it is step by step sort of....lol
Old 02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Half a day easy if you can turn wrenches,and no broke bolts!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Launching!

clwz28 well i can def turn wrenches i worked at a garage while i was in highschool and i have been out for two years and now i just work on cars in my spare time lol. but i have worked on a few lt-1's including my own and know how much of a pain in the a$$ it can be, but yeh hopefully it does take what u said a half day or so and yeh hopefully no broken bolts. lol broken bolts suck and def on manifolds where the bolts break in the head. They def suck big time....
Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

pb blaster helps alot for rusted nuts and bolts, keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: header install question????