General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start intermittently

My formula is appearing to have battery issues - but the catch is that the battery and charging system on my car continues to check out fine.

About 5 times in the last 3 years my car hasn't wanted to start.
I had bought the battery from Walmart and have taken it back there since it still has a warranty. Walmart has replaced it 2-3 times.

This last time someone "competent" enough to run the battery testing machine was working so they load tested it and whatever. They told me the battery was fine. I took it to Advance Auto and the load tested the car and charging system it checked out fine.

So where is this issue coming from?

Nearly every time it has been an issue I have been out and about running errands and after getting out of the car for a short time and trying to restart it I get the no starting condition. Turning the key just gets my rapid clicking noises.

My volt gauge reads a touch under 14, and I have verified that (at least the car is working correctly) the gauge and the actual voltage do match.

When I jump start the car, it is literally ready to start as soon as I touch the cable to the posts, I do not need to jump it for seconds, minutes or hours.

My big issue is this - "crappy" Walmart battery aside, what would be the odds of getting 4 bad batteries on a row?

I am hesitant to put money into a battery and have it not be the real issue.

Could this issue be the starter?
I have had starter issues with other cars and usually it's a "bzzzz" sound of the starter not engaging (or meshing) to the engine. This is NOT the same.

The starter solenoid?
I know nothing of this.

The ignition?
I have jiggled my ignition switch when I have this no start condition, but it didn't help.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

voltage regulator
Old 02-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Isn't that internal to the alternator on our cars?
AT least I thought it was for my 94 Formula.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

check wiring at the starter, and the regulator is integrated into the back of the alternator. also the wiring at the battary can cause this problem also.