Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" F-BODIES come on in! I figured out the driveline vibration!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" F-BODIES come on in! I figured out the driveline vibration!!!

Well, It has been far too long and countless hours of worrying but I can now lay that to rest. For any of you who have installed a moser 9" and are experiencing a driveline vibration, you are in luck! I stumbled upon this this morning when I was planning on getting a new driveshaft anyways. My fab dealer recalled a 2" difference on the housing between a 9" and a 10 bolt. The shorter 9" has been giving me vibration since day 1 of the 9" install.
Here is what I did:
Support the vehicle on jack stands and make sure it is: a. at normal ride height and b. level
Next grab the driveshaft by the slip yoke and pull up and down. This is where my problem was as mine was making like a thunking noise. If yours is moving up and down take loose the rear u - joint and move the driveshaft further in the tailshaft housing til it bottoms out then back it out about 1/2 an inch. If the internals of the transmission are fine then by doing this you should have lost the slop that you had earlier. If the problem persists then you need to look into the transmission tailshaft bushing. Moving on, pull the driveshaft out completely and measure from seal of tailshaft housing the the pinion. make sure you you do not measure off the transmission output shaft which is why i said to put it on the seal. Pull the tape to the beginning of the pinion where the clamps hold the u-joint in. ***DO NOT PULL TAPE TO PINION NUT OR INSIDE THE PINION where the u joint sets in**** Mine was 46" and may definitely vary from set-up to set-up. I am running a spicer 1350 heavy duty slip yoke that is a little longer as well as a much stouter design.

No more vibration and a much tighter driveline as I can now feel every horsepower running through the tranny. Good luck guys and I hope this helps!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed new driveshaft for this very reason last summer. EPP sells the correct one.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello and welcome to last year

Haha just joking with you... But yeah, EPP is selling longer driveshafts with the Moser 9"
Old 02-08-2009, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

Poor guy thought he just hit the Lotto..
Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Mat
Launching!

Thanks for taking the time to add the tip man!

Will come in handy for those that don't automatically know what EPP might be selling.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

problem is that epp driveshaft may not fit everyone's measurements