Racer's Lounge - Brake cleaner safe on rubber seals?

Firebirdfan
02-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Hey guys. Got a quick question. With my college's SAE Baja project, we bought some used brakes calipers. They're kind of crapped up with dirt and some other stuff (maybe a bit of corrosion). I took the calipers apart, but there's a few rubber orings/seals that I'd really rather not risk removing (they're CRAZY expensive to replace). I was wondering if some standard automotive brake cleaner, aerosol or otherwise, is safe for the rubber seals. I don't want to degrade the seals and have them fail later on during competition. Is it safe to use?

black_sunshine
02-07-2009, 10:09 PM
you could always use carb cleaner. I think the carb cleaner should be safe on rubber. I use it everywhere i am iffy about rubber and plastic.

beerwhiskeyjoe
02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
why not use some mild soap & water?

1994Z28Lt1
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
brake parts cleaner is made to be compatible with the rubber seals used where brake fluid is present

brake cleaner is fine you dont have to reinvent the wheel

sdbrown84
02-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Dont use it on rubber that is not made for taking any harsh chemicals. That cancer in a can stuff will eat right through it or discolor it forever.

Damian
02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Brake Cleaner is perfectly fine for what you need. I use Brake clean to clean almost EVERYTHING automotive related.