LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

4l60E tranny issue????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4l60E tranny issue????

So I was racing my buddies 01 Lightning last night and my car was acting funny, around 90 mph my service engine light came on so I let off the gas. After this I hit the gas again and it would not down shift like it would normally do when you punch it. I then got to town and she didn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd unless I let off the gas and then gave it a goose. Then it purceeded to shift. I've had the tranny go out about 4 years ago and it's been rebuilt with a shift kit. I started the car up today and took it for a ride and it drove just fine. My buddy said he looked up online and it said something about a perservative measure that the computer does so the car doesn't get f'd up. I took it and had the computer read and they said that my left o2 sensor was lean and that my throttle temp sensor showed up as well. I need some input on what the hell is going on. Does my car need a tune, Is my tranny garbage, Is there an electronic issue with the tranny, what's going on???? A friend of mine has a th400 tranny that a can get for cheap. Will this be better than the 4l60E and what conversion do I have to do to make this work. What would be my best route and tranny selection????? I'm looking to push 600 hp when I stroke the motor and throw a 150 shot on it. I need it to last but in the mean time I need to know what the hell's going on...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Someone has to know something!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try posting this in the automatic transmission section and you will probably get some good responses there.

I wonder if it tried to overheat, mine did one time but spit fluid all out the dipstick tube.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks!