Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How should i wire dual 2ohm comp vr's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How should i wire dual 2ohm comp vr's?

Hey guys, im getting ready to install a pair of old school Kicker comp vr 10's that my brother gave me in my camaro and power them with a Rockford Fosgate punch p250.2 i was wondering how i should wire these up? the speakers are dual 2ohm and i was wondering how i should jump the wires on the speakers? right now they are jumped to 4ohm. so how should i wire them? should i bridge the amp as well? i just want to get the best sound out of what i got, it was all free so i cant complain. by the way the speakers are going to be going in one of those speaker panels that divide the hatch area to the t-top storage area. thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

is that amplifier 125W x 2 channels at 2ohms? If so, it is really going to underpower those subs especially since you can't even wire each speaker for 2ohms. What are the specs of the amp? and is it bridgeable? should be

ok, i looked up the specs of the amp, you need to get another amp. If you wired each subwoofer to one channel of the amp you will only be getting about 60W to each sub (wired as a 4ohm speakers, you can wire them as a 1ohm speaker but the amp cannot handle that). You could bridge the amplifier to make it a one channel amp but it can only handle a 4ohm load and there is no way you will be able to wire 2 2ohm DVC subwoofers to make 4 ohms.

Last edited by vjo90rs8; 02-08-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

so wiring each speaker as 4ohm and then bridging it wont work? damn! well exactly would happen? would it just not work or just not sound to its full potential? i just wanna get some decent bass in the car.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

my brother has 2 subs in his garage in their own little speaker box that i can drop right into the t-top storage area, what ohm's or specs should they be for me to be able to run them with this amp, im just going to wire up the amp and then see what speakers i can get that would be compatible with the amp.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

You can wire the voice coils in series positive to negitive V1+ to V1- and V2+ to V2- on each sub that will give you 4 ohms on each next wire them to the amp in parallel all negitives together all positives together.
here see link!

http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimage...m_dvc_2ohm.gif

this will make your amp see a 2 ohm load so you blow the amp the only draw back is that amp wont pump enough juice to make the slam but they'll sound good and no need about blowing them!
hope that helps
Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

youre basically trying to power two subwoofers with an amplifier that is probably not good enough for one subwoofer. If the subwoofers are in good shape, GREAT!!!, you can use them. Like the other guy said, you can use them together to produce a 2ohm load. Then just go on ebay and pick up a good cheap amp, maybe some between 500-600W, that should be good enough to power both subwoofers.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS02G
You can wire the voice coils in series positive to negitive V1+ to V1- and V2+ to V2- on each sub that will give you 4 ohms on each next wire them to the amp in parallel all negitives together all positives together.
here see link!

http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimage...m_dvc_2ohm.gif

this will make your amp see a 2 ohm load so you blow the amp the only draw back is that amp wont pump enough juice to make the slam but they'll sound good and no need about blowing them!
hope that helps
ok so i got the negative post of 1 voice coil jumped to the positive side of the 2nd voice coil and i metered the 2 remaining posts and im getting 4 ohms. is that what i should be getting? if so, now i when you say say hook them up to the amp all negatives together and all positives together am i hooking them up to the "bridged" markings on the amp or just as if it was a single speaker? thanks for all your help, the both of you.

when looking for an amp to properly power my old school comp vr's what should i look for? im not looking for anything brand new, i'll be looking in the classifieds but what specs should i look out for to power the 2 10's?

Last edited by mite53; 02-08-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Yup you got it right on when you wire in parallel that means bridged. the little thing on the amp that says briged is for one sub. a lil note series means + to - when you do that you add the resistance straight across 2ohm plus 2ohm is 4 ohm but when wired parallel you get 1/2 the resistance 2ohm wired to 2ohm gives you 1ohm get it?

Now on the amp how "old school are the subs" what color is the cone the part you see move is it black or silver?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 AM
Staging Lane

cool man, yeah thanks for all your help, at least i'll be bumpin somewhat until i get a new amp!

yeah the subs are black, they are not the newer silver ones. Theyre black with white "Kicker" and yellow "COMPvr" logos.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mite53
cool man, yeah thanks for all your help, at least i'll be bumpin somewhat until i get a new amp!

yeah the subs are black, they are not the newer silver ones. Theyre black with white "Kicker" and yellow "COMPvr" logos.
wait...how are you going to wire them and are you going to use both subwoofers? If you wire both subwoofers together to create a 2ohm load and you connect it to your amplifier you risk blowing it up since if you use the bridged output of the amplifier you can only hook up a 4 ohm load. The only thing you can do for now is wire the dual voice coils of each subwoofer in series so that each subwoofer is now 4 ohms, then connect each subwoofer to a channel in the amplifier. Also, make sure you correctly adjust the gain of the amplifier, its definitely not a plug it in and go system. This setup will give you about 60W per subwoofer which isn't much. I looked up the old CVRs, the 02 models handle 150W, the 03 models handle 200W, and the 05 models handle 300W.

If you have the 02 models then get something like the kicker ZX300.1, if you have the 03 models get something like the ZX400.1 and if you have the 05 models then get something like the ZX500.1.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

well i was going to wire them exactly like SS02G said, like this http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimage...m_dvc_2ohm.gif

i did wire each subwoofer to put out 4ohms,SS02G said to hook it up bridged on the amp but your saying hook each subwoofer to a channel on the amplifier, so which way should i do it? i wanna bump until i get a better amp but i dont wanna blow anything up.

thanks for the amp recommendations, i'll see if i can find a date on the speakers to see when they were made.

Last edited by mite53; 02-09-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

If you use the bridged output of the amplifier then you HAVE to use a 4ohm load. A 2ohm load will be too much for the amplifier. The lower the resistance the more stress you put on the amplifier because it puts out more current. Although you can still hook up a 2ohm load to the bridged amplifier but you need to set the gain for 125W, and NOT 250W. Do some research on how to set the gain because that is something you need to learn, like I said, you can just plug everything in and the amplifier magically gives the subwoofers the right amount of power, it is only in the gain setting.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

cool man i'll just turn the gain all the way down and turn it up just a little to get a little bass until i get a new amp.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

ya just wire them like i said and then turn on the system with the gain all the way down then turn up the volume on your head unit till your satisfied with the sound of the mids and highs from your speakers/tweets and then adjust the gain up till you get the bass you want their not gonna slam but they will sound good an the amp should handle them with out blowing because the total impeadance is still only 2ohms and run them like that till you can buy an amp i recomend a class D digital mono amp like a kenwood KAC-x1r so that way later if you want more bump in your truck or hatch in this case lol you dont need to buy another amp that one is good and great price on ebay. well good luck
Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

well i just finished installing everything like you said SS02G and i gotta tell you it sounds pretty kick ***! for now at least. i turned the system on with the gain all the way down and turned up the music the way i would normally listen to it then i just adjusted the gain to match everything up, the bass sounds nice full and crisp, i left the frequency dial the way it was i didnt mess with it, but everything sounds great for now, i couldnt be happier with speakers and amp that were hand me downs! thanks a lot for all your help SS02G and VJO90RS8. i really appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

a good starting point for the low pass filter on the amplifier would be 80Hz and definitely not above 120Hz, anything above that and you can start to hear deep voices in your subwoofer which is no good.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

ya leave the LPF low pass filter 50hz to 80hz those are the best id say 65hz is dead on for those subs well enjoy bro glad I could help!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

yeah man,thanks for alll your input!

Quick Reply: How should i wire dual 2ohm comp vr's?