Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e output shaft play??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 4l60e output shaft play??

I have had this problem for a while now, but since its heading toward spring I`m now more interested. Last year I had the tailhousing of my 4l60e off and I noticed that if I grabbed the output shaft I could clunk/wiggle it side to side or up and down at least an 1/8" if not maybe even a 1/4". Now I know that there is a bushing in the tailhousing to hold the driveshaft yolk steady but should there really be this much play inside the trans???

I searched and found one other post that said having this much play was normal, but that just seems so wrong to me. you can hear it clunk inside the trans if you wiggle the output shaft around.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You have to understand that while since i am not there i cannot be sure what it feels like, But the very small bushing in the rear of trans is not intended to support the tailshaft and will allow considerable movement but rather the rear planet carrier, The tail shaft is supported by the bushing in the tail housing along with the drive shaft yoke.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well it sounds like this is right then. When the driveshaft is in there really isn`t any movement but last time I pulled the tailhousing to replace the bushing in it I saw a lot of play in the output shaft without the support of the housing bushing.

I guess my highspeed driveline vibration must be caused by the driveshaft. Its just a re-balanced shortened stocker. Guess its time for a custom shaft that will handle the RPM, this one must not be good enough.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well it is possible the rear case bushing could be bad. But its not common from what I have observed. Now I once did have a car with a bad vibration with the factory trans and we leaned the tail housing bushing was missing all together on further examination.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking for a vibration, well I checked everything and while I was under the car trying to check my pinion angle I grabbed the driveshaft and with it installed I can move it up and down alot???? would that be my issue. I replaced the bushing a few months back, but now thinking it was not the issue. What you all think, oh this is a 6sp and the u joints are all new

Quick Reply: 4l60e output shaft play??