General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default spring

I found a broken spring on the floor under driver side dash. I assuming its from a pedal possibliy the clutch? All the pedals still seem to work fine.
Car has 33.5k miles on it.

any help would be great thanks

Tadd

ps. yes its a M6
Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pic of spring?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Clutch pedal spring. They are notorious and have lasted me only 30K before they explode. They have a coil and then 2 attachment points on either side of the spring. Often, one of the attachment "legs" breaks off. You may have half of the spring off and the other "half" still attached to the pedal.

The spring isn't needed but your pedal will feel a little floppy without it. If you have higher mileage and are going to replace the spring, you may also want to replace the white plastic bushings that the spring sets in. (As they age, they tend to squeak a little bit.)

Also, if you do replace the spring - be prepared to spend a couple hours on it your first time. Its a real bitch. Once you take off the IP cover, you need to get under the dash and then need to reach "up" with long pliers to get the new one in place.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Clutch pedal spring. They are notorious and have lasted me only 30K before they explode. They have a coil and then 2 attachment points on either side of the spring. Often, one of the attachment "legs" breaks off. You may have half of the spring off and the other "half" still attached to the pedal.

The spring isn't needed but your pedal will feel a little floppy without it. If you have higher mileage and are going to replace the spring, you may also want to replace the white plastic bushings that the spring sets in. (As they age, they tend to squeak a little bit.)

Also, if you do replace the spring - be prepared to spend a couple hours on it your first time. Its a real bitch. Once you take off the IP cover, you need to get under the dash and then need to reach "up" with long pliers to get the new one in place.

oh great, is it safe to drive it? i dont wanna get stranded anywhere
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it should be fine. I removed the spring on mine because it gives a better pedal feel.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by lss1love
oh great, is it safe to drive it? i dont wanna get stranded anywhere
sure. the main drawback is that the pedal will be a little "off" in its palcement when you are off of it and it will have a different feel than it did before
Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Teching In

ok cool, cause its 70 here in atl today
Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, its a clutch assist spring. My snapped in my C6 and I replaced it with one from a C5 b/c I heard they were more durable.