Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torsen wear out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torsen wear out?

Howdy,
4th gen rear end with 3.42 and a Torsen diff, bought used and stuck in my camaro. Put 11k somewhat abusive miles on it (drag, auto-x and drift). Last time at the track i "launched" (245 street tires) and it didn't feel right, felt like an open diff. Did a few more passes had a friend look at the wheels - sure enough it went open. Figured that i broke it. Closer to home got on it a few more times, still acting like and open diff.

So, i pulled the cover expecting to find teeth and metal in the bottom - but i can't see much metal at all. Some fine metal "powder" on the magnet, nothing real significant i thought.

Any thoughts? I didn't think that torsens "wore out" like this. Just surprised.

I'm either going to mini-spool it or break out a credit card and get an s60.

James
Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

I have a Torsen on my bench with 150,000 miles on it, it's apart and shows zero wear.

If one of these were to wear out enough to do one wheel burnouts it would be at the point when the gears unmesh. At that point the car would stop moving under it's own power, the gears would grind away at eachother in a short time and that would be the end of it. This would happen pretty quick.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Teching In

I actually am having a similar problem with the torsen I installed in my camaro. It works properly when I am turning left or going straight but when I turn right it goes to an open diff. I haven't had a chance to take the cover off and look for anything in there.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

You guys should look at their website and understand the theory of operation.
Mainly the theory of operation of a torque biasing differential.
Both of you guys torque is getting somewhere at 100% whether it's 10% left wheel and 90% right wheel (one wheel peel), thats just how they work.

Here are some pics of whats in a factory installed F Body rear, a T1 Torsen.
As you'll see, if something breaks you're not spinning any wheels and you're going to hear bad noises.
If you're spinning one wheel, it's doing it's job. And IMO if you spin one wheel a lot a Torsen diff is not right for your application.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply's, when i get mine out and cleaned i'll inspect it to see if i can find anything wrong.

Quick Reply: Torsen wear out?