Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

LT1 vs G8

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 vs G8

Well, I finally got around to installing the new parts on my 1994 Z28. The package comes with a Magnaflow catback, K&N cold air induction, and an airfoil. My brother and I got started around 5:30 last night and had it all wrapped up and the garage cleaned up at 8:30.

We took it out for a ride and it felt strong. GMHTP stated that they gained 30 rwhp with the kit on their 1994 Formula project. Once I finish up round one of my mods then I'll get it back on the dyno and the track. My stock numbers are in my sig, and I'm hoping for a 20 rwhp gain from round one and consistent 13's.

We also got a couple quick clips, before and after. The videos don't really do it justice, but they show the difference. My brother will post them up later.

After that we took the LT1 and the G8 out for a little fun and to see how they stack up now. When the LT1 was stock the G8 would pull it a solid 1.5-2 cars to the top of second gear. Once the LT1 hit 3rd gear then the G8 would run away HARD. We ran a few times last night. From a 1st gear roll the LT1 actually pulled out almost a car on the one run that it caught traction. After that the G8 stared pulling back, but not too fast.

From second gear rolls they were very close off the hit, with the G8 pulling maybe a 1/2 car to about 80mph and then maybe another car from 80-110mph.

We tried it from a dig twice. The first time the LT1 blew the tires off so bad that it wasn't even a race. The second run the G8 pulled out about a 1/2 car (had to ease into the gas on the LT1) and then slowly walked away about 1-1.5 cars up to 100 mph.

In the next day or so I'm gonna throw an old set of Nitto drag radials on the LT1 and then we'll run them again. We'll try to get it on video next time. Based on what I saw last night, the LT1 should pull out decently down low and then the G8 will be playing catch up.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock exhaust - http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MVI_0479.flv

Magnaflow catback and K&N CAI - http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MVI_0480.flv

The sound is 100% different and, in my opinion, about 1,000 times better with the Magnaflow. It's a bit louder at idle and a lot louder when you get on it. It was much raspier and tinny before, but now it's real deep and mean. And for the three hours of work we put in to do the entire performance pack, you can't really beat it.

The Z28 definitely picked up a LOT from the last time we ran them (when the Z28 was stock); I was shocked at how it actually pulled a bit down low on the first gear run that it hooked. I knew it was gonna do better, but I was surprised at just how much better. And even on the first gear run when it was spinning a bit, it still stayed right next to the G8 until partway through second where it lost half a car, then third the G8 pulled a bit harder. There's no doubt in my mind the LT1 is a high 13-second car.

Pic of the Z28

Pic of the G8

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 02-09-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Stock exhaust - http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MVI_0479.flv

Magnaflow catback and K&N CAI - http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MVI_0480.flv

The sound is 100% different and, in my opinion, about 1,000 times better with the Magnaflow. It's a bit louder at idle and a lot louder when you get on it. It was much raspier and tinny before, but now it's real deep and mean. And for the three hours of work we put in to do the entire performance pack, you can't really beat it.

The Z28 definitely picked up a LOT from the last time we ran them (when the Z28 was stock); I was shocked at how it pulled a bit down low on the first gear run that it hooked. And even on the first gear run when it was spinning a bit, it still stayed right next to the G8 until partway through second where it lost half a car, then third the G8 pulled a bit harder. There's no doubt in my mind the LT1 is a high 13-second car.
Med Quaser Blue...best color ever...miss mine
Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks! The color and wheels are basically what hooked me on buying the car. After buying the G8 I was going to sell it, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now that the modding has begun I'm glad I stuck with it

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 02-09-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Never knew you too were brothers, must be nice having one to help ya and give you insight on your F-body!

now i just gotta get my little bro to get one
Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 AM

LOL, yeah it's definitely cool. Now, if we could just get my dad to start modding his 2004 GTO
Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by screaminredz
lol, yeah it's definitely cool. Now, if we could just get my dad to start modding his 2004 gto :d
haha hell yea!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
haha hell yea!
Since my dad spends half the year in Florida, we always joke about modding it on him while he's gone and not telling him; just let him figure it out when he gets back on the road up here and realizes he has no traction in any gear.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Since my dad spends half the year in Florida, we always joke about modding it on him while he's gone and not telling him; just let him figure it out when he gets back on the road up here and realizes he has no traction in any gear.
That would be BA haha, throw on some long tubes, intake, cat-back, and a tune and see his reaction.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

WTF you two are brothers??
Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Wow...someone else posting a G8 race, nice runs. I agree the QB is one of the nicest colors ever on a car. The 69 we have has QB mixed in with the flake and another blue i forget the name of.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM

^Thanks, I'm hoping to have plenty more race stories to come this year

Sarge_13, I try to keep it on the DL about us being brothers. I don't want anyone to know that my younger brother has gone faster in the 1/4 mile than me, lol.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
^Thanks, I'm hoping to have plenty more race stories to come this year

Sarge_13, I try to keep it on the DL about us being brothers. I don't want anyone to know that my younger brother has gone faster in the 1/4 mile than me, lol.
OHH ****! the hammer is dropped

i thought u were the younger brother. . . damn man, now you really need to sell one of the cars and use the money to make the other faster than your bro's, i vote get rid of the G8, making the LT1 faster than PSM's would be just amazing haha!

brotherly fun
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM

^LOL, I have something up my sleeve. PSM knows what's looming on the horizon
Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

hopefully it involves some wicked AI or LE heads and a large cam haha!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

hopefully it involves some wicked AI or LE heads and a large cam haha!
I'm gonna leave my car as it is just long enough for him to get a quicker timeslip for about a week, then I'm gonna take it back with less hp than he's got.

And until he gets rid of those Nittos, I don't think there's much to worry about anyways...
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

I'm gonna leave my car as it is just long enough for him to get a quicker timeslip for about a week, then I'm gonna take it back with less hp than he's got.

And until he gets rid of those Nittos, I don't think there's much to worry about anyways...
ohh brotherly competition thats great.

and i second the nitto's blowing huge goat nuts.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

ohh brotherly competition thats great.

and i second the nitto's blowing huge goat nuts.
They're good on the street if you're not making huge power because they last forever and are way better than street tires, but if you're looking to launch the hell out of it or making any kind of big power, forget it. I'll buy ET Streets once a year instead of the Nittos once every two years.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

They're good on the street if you're not making huge power because they last forever and are way better than street tires, but if you're looking to launch the hell out of it or making any kind of big power, forget it. I'll buy ET Streets once a year instead of the Nittos once every two years.
you really DD ET streets!?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

you really DD ET streets!?
I have a couple other cars; the Z28 isn't my daily driver. But drive them on the street? Hell yeah. I always drove on Nittos because they lasted so long but last year I had a race with an Audi, so I decided I needed all the traction I could get. I threw the ET Streets on and have rarely driven the car without them on since. The Nittos are finally smoked after two and a half years so when I replace them, it will be with ET Street Radials for the street so I don't kill my regular ET Streets for the track. But they hook amazingly well on the street, even with my 4.10s and close-ratio 6-speed. They make the Nittos feel like street tires.