Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Quick Performance Ford 9" Housing

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Quick Performance Ford 9" Housing

Is anyone running the Quick Performance 9" Housing for 3rd/4th gens? I know they're not a sponsor on here, but I'd like to get some opinions from anyone using this housing. It's got a different torque arm mount from the other 9" housings I've seen. Looks like you wouldn't need an adjustable torque arm since the mounts at the housing have Heim joints. Any thoughts?

Here's some pics:

Torque Arm Mounted To Housing

Torque Arm Mount
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neat but will it clear the tunnel. Looks like it would bang big time.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This rear is the besttt! Hands down! No fitment problems or grinding anything!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by transam150
Do you have one in your car? Do you take it to the track, and if so, how hard are you pushing it? I'm seriously considering this housing for mine, but I want to know how much track abuse it can handle.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, nobody on here is running this housing?

Mike
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

I had considered it but after looking at it and figuring on everything else needed, I went ahead and ordered the Midwest Fab 9". For everything you get it is not that much more money and the quality is unriveled. My 2 cents.....
Old 02-11-2009, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

I was looking at one of these too. Someone on here must be running this housing.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by madclown
I had considered it but after looking at it and figuring on everything else needed, I went ahead and ordered the Midwest Fab 9". For everything you get it is not that much more money and the quality is unriveled. My 2 cents.....
There's no doubt the Midwest housing is a sick setup and built for some very serious racing. But, for those of us on a budget I don't think it's safe to say that the two housings are even close to being comparable price wise. This housing, Torque Arm Bracket, with Moser 31 spline axles, with bearings is less than 950.00. From what I've been told, it doesn't have the issues of hitting the floor pan like the Moser unit has, plus the TA bracket looks to be much lighter in weight with the added adjustment of having heim joints.

On another topic, Quick Performance seems very confident it'll take the punishment of a car making 1000hp. I'm just trying to find out how hard it's actually been pushed or if there are any known issues with it. My car won't be pushing the limits of this housing as is, but I'd like to know that I'm buying a rearend that I can grow with.

Mike
Old 02-11-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these in my car, the fit is super, it went right in and centered up very nice. the rear end itself looks great with super nice welds, and looks to be super stout, I have not got mine to the track yet but I have no doubts on the quality of the rear end. By the way, I paid 875 shipped to my door, that included the moser axles with bearings and all related hardware.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RARON455
I have one of these in my car, the fit is super, it went right in and centered up very nice. the rear end itself looks great with super nice welds, and looks to be super stout, I have not got mine to the track yet but I have no doubts on the quality of the rear end. By the way, I paid 875 shipped to my door, that included the moser axles with bearings and all related hardware.
Man I've been waiting for someone that actually has one installed. Is your car lowered at all? Any issues with the housing hitting the floorpan when you hit bumps?

Mike
Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
There's no doubt the Midwest housing is a sick setup and built for some very serious racing. But, for those of us on a budget I don't think it's safe to say that the two housings are even close to being comparable price wise.

Yes but now you have to buy the Center Section, the Differential Unit, the Torque Arm, the Torque Arm Mount, the Driveshaft Saftey Loop, the Gears, and spend approx $300 - $400 for someone that knows what their doing to set up the gears for you. And that still dosen't include a new Driveshaft. Just saying, add all of that up, and you are really close to the price of the Fab 9".
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

You do realize that you will still need an adjustable TA. The Hemis on ta mount are not enough to set pinion angle. But yeah 900 for the housing and axles is only like 200 less than the moser housing and axles which you can get for around 1100. I am not knocking there setup but when you look at the Midwest 9" it is a good price. $2600 base price includes its own TA. Not to mention that if you take any complete moser 9" is a minimum of $2300 then figure another $300+ for a aftermarket TA.

It may be a very nice at a good price. But I like the deals that Eric at MWC cuts for people when they order more stuff with the rear.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by madclown
Yes but now you have to buy the Center Section, the Differential Unit, the Torque Arm, the Torque Arm Mount, the Driveshaft Saftey Loop, the Gears, and spend approx $300 - $400 for someone that knows what their doing to set up the gears for you. And that still dosen't include a new Driveshaft. Just saying, add all of that up, and you are really close to the price of the Fab 9".

OK the torque arem mount is included in the housing quoted price, but if you already have the torque arm, safety loop, and are more than capable of setting up your own center section then you end up saving some coin. I understand what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm merely saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and the way I approach it will personally save me around 800.00++.

I don't who you're paying to setup those gears, but they're way over-paid lol....

Here is what I'll have into mine by choosing my own parts and setting up the gears/assembling it myself:

Strange Nodular S Case w/3.25" Carrier Bearing - 210.00-300.00
31 Spline Detroit Locker "H" Case 3.25" Bearing - 250.00-350.00
3.89 Gears - 100.00-150.00
Master Bearing/Shim Kit - 98.00
Aluminum Pinion Support - 85.00
Forged Steel 1350 Yoke - 75.00

Housing/Moser Axles/TA Bracket/Bearings/Studs = $945.00/shipped

Add another 100.00 because I'll probably have it powdercoated locally to match my BMR Kmember.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 01-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i don't think they offer a 3 or 4 channel option but if that doesn't matter to you, it looks like a great deal.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by transam150

ok... lets see pics of your installation. especially the clearance at the top of the torque arm and the tunnel at stock or 1 1/4 inch lowered ride height.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

I just orderd one havent installed it yet. Im about to order their through bolt alum center section with spool bearing set daytona pinon and billet yoke. All together im look at less than 2k for some bad *** ****. For the money it looks good so far but ill keep ya posted and take some pics when i go to install this thing. From what i can tell on the ground the adj. T/A mount moves pretty good its got a pretty good range of motion so i dont see why a standard T/A wouldnt work to get the desired pinon angle.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

From the looks of it thought you would have to take the TA mount off the rear to adjust it. Once it is on the rear and in the car I don't think you could adjust it. That is why you would want an adjustable TA so you can adjust it in the car.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
OK the torque arem mount is included in the housing quoted price, but if you already have the torque arm, safety loop, and are more than capable of setting up your own center section then you end up saving some coin. I understand what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm merely saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and the way I approach it will personally save me around 800.00++.

I don't who you're paying to setup those gears, but they're way over-paid lol....

Here is what I'll have into mine by choosing my own parts and setting up the gears/assembling it myself:

Strange Nodular S Case w/3.25" Carrier Bearing - 210.00 New
31 Spline Detroit Locker "H" Case 3.25" Bearing - 210.00 Used
3.89 Gears - 100.00 Used
Master Bearing/Shim Kit - 98.00 New
Aluminum Pinion Support - 85.00 New
Forged Steel 1350 Yoke - 75.00 New
Center Section Total Price = 778.00

Housing/Moser Axles/TA Bracket/Bearings/Studs = $945.00/shipped

Total 9" Rearend Price = $1723.00

Add another 100.00 because I'll probably have it powdercoated locally to match my BMR Kmember.

Mike
Looks like you have it planned out. Let us know how it all comes together.... Good Luck.....
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
From the looks of it thought you would have to take the TA mount off the rear to adjust it. Once it is on the rear and in the car I don't think you could adjust it. That is why you would want an adjustable TA so you can adjust it in the car.

Yeah that might be the case but as far as im concerned im gonna set it where i want and leave it. Ill let ya know how it turns out.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No I dont have any problems with the rear hitting anything, It fit fine, actually the only problem I had was this. I bought a PST aluminum driveshaft from EPP, they said that when you put a moser housing in that you need to get the shaft 1 inch longer. I did but it would not go in far enough, i made sure the cars weight was loaded and the car was level, I checked and made sure the rear was centered side to side it was, and I checked to make sure it was centered in the wheelwell it was on both sides, like I said it fit perfect. I contacted EPP with my measurement from the pinion yoke saddle to the end of the output shaft, and they told me that was almost the stock distance, within 1/16 so I needed a stock length shaft. they hooked me up (thanks Drew) and got me going.
the rear end comes with the axles, bearings, hardware, and It most definately comes with the torque arm mount. It is a very heavy duty piece, and has the heavy duty center with the longer bores so there is more to weld the axle tubes to, and the price was great. I paid 875 for the housing to my door, and 900 for a nodular center section with a detroit locker and 3.75 gears. total for everything 1775 not bad. Also for you to consider, look at how many post you have seen about this quick performance rear end, and compare it with how many negative things people who have the moser have said, make up your own mind bro. (there is one negative post on this site and it is filled with MY buddy, or my friend garbage, First hand experience is what matters, if you didnt do it how do you know the guy turning the wrench is not to blame.) Me personally I am very happy with it, If you get it and go to install it call quick performance and they will gladly help you with advice on the install. Or feel free to PM me and I will gladly help with the few things I learned putting mine in. Hope this helps Just my two cents

and Yes you do have to take the torque arm off to adjust the pinion angle. not a big deal, set the rear up with your proper angle to begin with and you dont have to touch it again. The only thing an adjustable torque arm does is changes pinion angle, there is no secret launching voodoo in pinion angle but that is another argument.

Quick Reply: Quick Performance Ford 9" Housing