Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

reupholstering seats

Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reupholstering seats

my seats are starting to look bad because of normal wear, stains, etc... I was wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to reupholster them. i have a little experience w/ sewing but i just didnt wana ruin my seats if its gona be to hard. id like to see sum pics of what people have dun to their seats too for sum good ideas! thanx
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a trans am? it looks like thats what is in your avator although it looks like something out of CARS, lol.

anyway here's a few pics of the hawks hampton vinyl kit on my 95 T/A. the first 3 pics are from out of the car because the color inside the car is kind of off because of the flash

Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't recommend sewing your own seats. but if you do be sure to post some pics. If you do choose to make your own PM me I can give you some pointers.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95greenbird
I wouldn't recommend sewing your own seats. but if you do be sure to post some pics. If you do choose to make your own PM me I can give you some pointers.
i wouldn't either. i actually took mine and had the side pieces professionally sewn in and even the pro's didn't get them 100% perfect. you can kind of see the pieces are a little closer to the seems on the drivers seat than the pass seat and thus don't quite line up down by the plastic that covers the screw holes (i mean the accordian pieces)

I did the back seats myself including all of the hogringing of the lower sections, but i had the shop assemble the front seats because when i got the upholstery back installed on the seats none of the holes lined up and i didn't want to damage the seats trying to get everything together. I did disassemble the seats and remove the upholstery myself though. there are hogrings that hold the cover on the top of the front seats and the bottom of the rear seats but the upper rear seat simply slips off after you unclip it (although i did have to hog ring it back on because the new upholstery came with no clips, only plastic tubes with faboric around them which are meant for hogrings)

the lower front seats are just clipped/velcroed on and the upper front seats have hog rings in the horseshoe shaped area around the insert (if you look at your front seat the 2 verticle inserts on each side and the horizontal one above them are where the hog rings are. it kind of looks like a horse shoe or upside down u if your looking at it from the front)

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 02-09-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

I used a leather kit from autoleathers.com (they are a katzkin reseller). Many, many pattern & color combos. I think you have to call for the f-body fitments anymore - they don't seem to list them on the website.

We installed it ourselves (minus the door panels). It was tough, but do-able. Turned out we could have done the door panels ourselves too. *shrug*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: reupholstering seats