Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timng Chain strength question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timng Chain strength question

I did a search and found noting pertaining to this, when running stiffer springs and a cam in my case nothing radical comp 224/236 .581/.602 116 LSA is a so-called double roller timing chain needed or are the stock chains strong enough?

I see SLP sells one P/N 001699 it’s also adjustable for different cam settings, is it worth the extra $$$.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Katech C5r is as good as it gets and it is a single. Basically I have not read hardly anything on GenIII failures but there have been several Gen IV failures with the common link being all were using ASP UD pulleys. ATI makes the best UD period so if you got the dough that is the way to go. You can also modify an LS2 tesioner to work on an LS1 block which is cheap insurance. This is most useful on a road course setups as most probs occur from chain wrap on decel from what I understand.

Go search timing chains in GenIV sections as these are recent posts. and you will learn all you need to know......
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks SOMbitch I searched the gen 4 and will defiantly be calling Katech tomorrow morning for a chain. Would you suggest also getting an UD pulley from ATI or would you recommend against it and get a stock pulley. My car is going to be a DD Gen III 6.0L L92 heads the engine is from a truck so I haft to get a harmonic damper anyway to make all my accessories fit.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stress fracture
Thanks SOMbitch I searched the gen 4 and will defiantly be calling Katech tomorrow morning for a chain. Would you suggest also getting an UD pulley from ATI or would you recommend against it and get a stock pulley. My car is going to be a DD Gen III 6.0L L92 heads the engine is from a truck so I haft to get a harmonic damper anyway to make all my accessories fit.
I would go with the ATI