Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

hey everyone just wanted to know if you can bore the ls1 at rebuild time.i have heard yes and no.also while you are reading this i have another question.my engine almost sounds like it knocking or fuel knocking(diesel tech term)when it is cold.I mean over night and temps below 45 i guess.it runs great pulls strong.as soon as it warms up you dont hear the knock sound.any ideas i run 93 gas mobil one oil no additives,and i just cannt figure it out.thanks in advance for your input.rocky
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

alotta ls motors have that knocking sound beacause of the forged pistons when they are cold they make a little noise but when they heat up they expand and the sound goes away..but warm your car up next time and run your throttle up slowly in park and see if you can hear any noise, then you will know if its that or you got a diff issue.....
Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No you can not bore a ls1 you can hone it to a 3.908". You can have the sleeve bored out and the block resleeved but it costs more than the block is worth. The noise your hearing when its cold is pistion slap the stock ls1 is notorious for. My forged moter doesnt make any sounds.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
No you can not bore a ls1 you can hone it to a 3.908". You can have the sleeve bored out and the block resleeved but it costs more than the block is worth. The noise your hearing when its cold is pistion slap the stock ls1 is notorious for. My forged moter doesnt make any sounds.
What he said.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info on boring.and i was thinking piston slap but wasnt sure if there was something else.i almost always let it warm up before i take off,like i said as soon as it warms up it goes away,hope it doesnt get any worse i need it to last one more year before i can buy the engine i want.