Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How much power will a APS F body small turbo kit on a 408ci make?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much power will a APS F body small turbo kit on a 408ci make?

How much power will a APS F body small turbo kit make on a 408ci? Are these turbos to small for a 408ci? My goals are 850rwhp at 14psi and maybe on pump gas. I do not want to max the turbos to get to that level either.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might see 850rwhp on an m6 and maybe 800rwhp on an a4. And to hit 850rwhp you will likely for sure have to max out the standard turbos which aps says can do 50 lbs per minute but not sure that is totally accurate. The 20 g tdo6 normally can only do about 44 lb. /min which would be about 880 engine hp not rearwheel max potential. But have seen the aps standards do 720rwhp on a built 402 already which is like 900 engine so you might get it out of them. There should be more high boost dyno graphs on the standard kit with 402 or 408s coming out soon. I may have one this coming season. A bit more data will be nice to see from different combos.

I am personally hoping to see 800rwhp on the small kit on an auto but realize might be running 15 to 18 to do it. Likely with alc injection but that should let me run pump and still get good timing. I am also adding direct port to give me ability to hit around 1000rwhp if so desire.
Lg motorsports is playing with tweaked aps turbos but really you should be buying the bigger kit it has about 65 lbs per hour capability or 1300 engine hp and should do 850rwhp on a m6 in its sleep at likely even under 15psi on a built 408. I would have bought the bigger kit but it came out a bit after I got mine.
So you might want to rethink your goals a bit. You will find out though that even 600rwhp is quite a handful in a street car and 850rwhp pretty crazy. Still us speed freaks can never get enough hp! LOL

Oh and one reason we haven't seen too many high boost dynos is that the aps inlet tubes the early kit ones suck shut around 12psi usually. So to dyno test higher have to use the newer upgraded inlets or no inlets for dynoing or stent the existing tubes.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
You might see 850rwhp on an m6 and maybe 800rwhp on an a4. And to hit 850rwhp you will likely for sure have to max out the standard turbos which aps says can do 50 lbs per minute but not sure that is totally accurate. The 20 g tdo6 normally can only do about 44 lb. /min which would be about 880 engine hp not rearwheel max potential. But have seen the aps standards do 720rwhp on a built 402 already which is like 900 engine so you might get it out of them. There should be more high boost dyno graphs on the standard kit with 402 or 408s coming out soon. I may have one this coming season. A bit more data will be nice to see from different combos.

I am personally hoping to see 800rwhp on the small kit on an auto but realize might be running 15 to 18 to do it. Likely with alc injection but that should let me run pump and still get good timing. I am also adding direct port to give me ability to hit around 1000rwhp if so desire.
Lg motorsports is playing with tweaked aps turbos but really you should be buying the bigger kit it has about 65 lbs per hour capability or 1300 engine hp and should do 850rwhp on a m6 in its sleep at likely even under 15psi on a built 408. I would have bought the bigger kit but it came out a bit after I got mine.
So you might want to rethink your goals a bit. You will find out though that even 600rwhp is quite a handful in a street car and 850rwhp pretty crazy. Still us speed freaks can never get enough hp! LOL

Oh and one reason we haven't seen too many high boost dynos is that the aps inlet tubes the early kit ones suck shut around 12psi usually. So to dyno test higher have to use the newer upgraded inlets or no inlets for dynoing or stent the existing tubes.
Thanks. I seen a good deal for the APS kit. It is this or a F1A. You are right about HP, Its like sex you cant just get enough of it
Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Jeremy: Go by RPM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

And keep in mind mine is going through a TH400, Stall, 12 bolt, and slicks.
And low boost, with a very conservative tune (AF and timming)