General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunk/rubbing noise after stock torque arm instal

Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk/rubbing noise after stock torque arm instal

I recently sold my chassis mount adjustable torque arm and installed a factory one. The install went fine, then i noticed that on take offs it would make a clunking/rubbig noise from the transmission area to the rear (somehwere in there). I re-tightened the bolts but it still makes the noise. It makes the noise under hard acceleration also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

check your trans mount.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

what should i look for when i check it? I don't know if it's aftermarket, but i know it's red if that means anything
Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Teching In

2000 Firehawk stock torque arm setup, mine does the same thing during hard launches. Checked the trans mount, appears tight. I'm assuming the bushing on the front of the torque arm is the problem, although it appears fine. This winter I'm replacing the torque arm with an adjustable one (SLP) to get my pinion angle right. I'll let you know if that solves the problem...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ANGRYTIMBLIN
2000 Firehawk stock torque arm setup, mine does the same thing during hard launches. Checked the trans mount, appears tight. I'm assuming the bushing on the front of the torque arm is the problem, although it appears fine. This winter I'm replacing the torque arm with an adjustable one (SLP) to get my pinion angle right. I'll let you know if that solves the problem...
Awesome, sounds good.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Default I think mine's fixed

Don't know if you're gonna see this... Money's tight, so I couldn't spring for the new torque arm. Figured I'd try something else, since the noise would drive me nuts this summer. Just installed a torque arm mount bushing that I got from Summit for like $17 with shipping. Took the car out for a quick thrash, got the tires hot, good launch, no noise... So far. so good. The factory bushing was soft by comparison to the new poly one. Hope this helps, that noise has been bugging me for the last two years. Energy Suspension Torque Arm Mount Bushing, Part# ENS-3-1111R, $11.95 from Summit Racing. Install took a couple hours

Search this Thread