View Full Version : Who has a smoker for exhaust leaks

C_Rules
02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
I have a real bad split BLM issue. I need to check if I have any exhaust of vacuum leaks. Does anyone know of a place with a smoker that can be used to find leaks?

harner
02-12-2009, 04:17 AM
Just dump a little seafoam in your motor, that'll find a leak! Use at your own risk :lol:

But not sure who has a smoker or anything to check that. Check this out - http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-23102.html

Slowhawk
02-12-2009, 05:42 AM
The seafoam will show you any exhaust leaks.

harner
02-12-2009, 06:22 AM
And it may find leaks that you didn't want to know about.

C_Rules
02-12-2009, 08:14 AM
thanks guys I tried all that stuff in the post above lol. looks like it might be something else. guess I'll try the seafoam. when you say use at your own risk can it harm my motor im not too familiar with it.

01 Trans-Am WS6
02-12-2009, 08:43 AM
It won't harm your motor at all. Thousands of people use(d) it including myself and never had any issues.

C_Rules
02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
any sponsors do this? i don't think the neighbors would be too pleased at all the smoke i've been reaidng about. however the motor was freshly rebuilt and i doesn't even have 1K miles on it os it can't be that bad. i read the sticky about seafoaming the car. should i go through all three steps or should i just focus on one?

ShevrolayZ28
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
How about having one person block the tail pipes with rags while another listens for leaks?

C_Rules
02-12-2009, 10:27 AM
How about having one person block the tail pipes with rags while another listens for leaks?

couldn't that hurt the car though kind of similar to sticking a potato in the tail pipe lol. or are they only supposed to lightly cover the tail pipes?

i would feel bad for whoever is back there the car has an ORY, !evap, !egr, and !a.i.r. :barf: a respirator would be necessary :D

i think i'm going with the seafoam seems like it would be the most obvious way to find a leak.

JL ws-6
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Just tighten all the clamps up and the header bolts and see if it goes away. If you have about 1000 miles on it since it was put together chances are something worked it's way loose from the heat cycles. Tightening everthing will probably fix it.

What makes you think there's a leak anyway? Noise?

C_Rules
02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Just tighten all the clamps up and the header bolts and see if it goes away. If you have about 1000 miles on it since it was put together chances are something worked it's way loose from the heat cycles. Tightening everthing will probably fix it.

What makes you think there's a leak anyway? Noise?

I've checked the header bolts they are good. I've sprayed carb cleaner around the manifold and TB and no stalling. I have split BLMs and I've tried a bunch of stuff but nothing is working. New O2s, Opening the TB blades, closing the TB blades, modifying the TB's IAC passage playing with timing and nothing seems to fix it. The Long Term trims are still messed up at idle. The Left Long Term trim is lean in the 140s and up and the Right Long Term trim is pegged at 108. The short terms aren't that bad. I out of tuning options except for modifiying the ICFTs. Before I go there I want to make sure there are no exhaust leaks of any kind. I don't really hear any leaks but i'm starting to think something is wrong since no tune modifications help.

JL ws-6
02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Can you turn all the O2's off completely, then maybe put a wideband in each header, just to make sure that you don't have some wiring problem or something stupid like that?

C_Rules
02-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Can you turn all the O2's off completely, then maybe put a wideband in each header, just to make sure that you don't have some wiring problem or something stupid like that?

if i set the car to run in open loop the O2s wont provide any correction so that is like turning them off. i have a wideband. however i dont think my wideband cable is long enough to be able to do put them in the headers. i would have to borrow somoenes lc2 or go to a shop with a dyno and have them hook their wideband up to the car. i'll have to try that if the seafoam doesn't clear this mess up.

C_Rules
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
wait a moment i just realized this motor is freshly rebuilt. will it still smoke enough for me to find a leak?

ShevrolayZ28
02-12-2009, 08:39 PM
couldn't that hurt the car though kind of similar to sticking a potato in the tail pipe lol. or are they only supposed to lightly cover the tail pipes?

i would feel bad for whoever is back there the car has an ORY, !evap, !egr, and !a.i.r. :barf: a respirator would be necessary :D

i think i'm going with the seafoam seems like it would be the most obvious way to find a leak.

lol just blocking the exhaust for a few seconds won't hurt anything, although it does get a little nasty for the person doing the blocking.

ShevrolayZ28
02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
wait a moment i just realized this motor is freshly rebuilt. will it still smoke enough for me to find a leak?

I will still smoke but from what I've seen, the newer the motor, the less it'll smoke.

C_Rules
02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
i bought the seafoam. i'll be doing it to the car this week. i put it off for a little bit because i sent my injectors to get flow tested and cleaned after getting some weird header temps on two cylinders (1 & 7). i got the injectors back and they are all flow matched. once i put them back on i'll seafoam the car.

C_Rules
03-08-2009, 03:26 PM
okay so i got my injectors back on the car and i took it out to log it. the left side is now in the 140-139 range at idle and the right side is pegged at 115-116. so there was an improvement the left is less lean and the right side is less rich. this is for the long term fuel trims. they are split across the board not just idle. the short terms are looking pretty good within +/-5 of 128.

im not sure if it was the injector cleaning that helped out the long term trims or if it was the change in whether as it is in the 60s now compared to the 30 and 40s. i rune in SD mode.

next step is to seafoam the car and see if i can find any leaks.

C_Rules
03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
so i was able to get my hands on an hvac smoke machine. turns out i don't have any leaks at all vacuum or intake. looks like my split BLMs may be due to something else. maybe bad plug/wire or something else. all i know is that at WOT my left side is reading really lean causing the car to dump fuel into that bank and screwing up my track times. the car is supposed to be in the 11s and its running high 12s :bang:

outkast6991
03-25-2009, 07:15 PM
i thought that the 02's switch off at wot. i thought that fueling was done out of the pe/ve tables at that point. i'm no tuner just what i heard. my tuner said my car was dumping fuel into the drivers bank. no matter how much he added it still wanted more. he said a leak just like your looking for. i couldn't find one though. it's still like this a year and a half later. good luck and keep us posted if you figure it out

C_Rules
03-25-2009, 07:28 PM
i believe the O2s are not supposed to kick in at WOT to take away fuel only to add it if they read a lean condition. in my case the left bank is always lean and at WOT the BLM is at 150. i swapped the O2s around and the problem stood the same so the issue isn't with the sensors, injectors, or leaks. checking the plugs and wires next.

BLK02WS6
03-26-2009, 05:55 AM
If the car is down that much on power, I would suspect that a cylinder or two may be down - check the plugs and wires like you said...

The problem alot of times is with cheap headers leaking where the 4 primary tubes go into the collector. It is very hard to see or hear because it is due to the welding not being good in the middle of the tube group...

C_Rules
03-26-2009, 04:28 PM
i checked plug one a couple of days ago. i checked cylinder 1 because i was getting some real low heat readings using my IR thermometer from it. the plug looked normal. i thought if any one would be fouled it would be that one. i have to check all the rest. wires are practically new and they are pretty well protected. i do hope though the issue is with a wire or plug so that I can be over with this headache already. i'm going to try to check them out this weekend.

JL ws-6
03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Sounds more and more like opti problems. I'd do a leakdown just to be safe on every cylinder, if that and a compression check find everything to be good, I'd put new plugs and wires on it, see what that gets you, swap the O2's from one side to the other just to rule that out as well... if that doesn't work then I'd be swapping that opti next.

God damn opti-junk. The lt1 motor would probably be a decent platform if they hadn't put the worst ignition setup on it since the days of points. Hell, at least points were easy to change.

C_Rules
03-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Sounds more and more like opti problems. I'd do a leakdown just to be safe on every cylinder, if that and a compression check find everything to be good, I'd put new plugs and wires on it, see what that gets you, swap the O2's from one side to the other just to rule that out as well... if that doesn't work then I'd be swapping that opti next.

God damn opti-junk. The lt1 motor would probably be a decent platform if they hadn't put the worst ignition setup on it since the days of points. Hell, at least points were easy to change.

well my opti is aftermarket msd unit farily new. wires are basically new msd 8.5 super conductors. i swapped O2s but that didn't change anything. getting my plugs changed as we speak.

C_Rules
03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
looks like shallow plugs may be the culprit. the verdicts not in yet but it looks like the plugs weren't going deep enough into the engine to ignite the fuel properly. we'll see once i drive and log the car. maybe they sold me gen1 LT1 plugs by accident when I ordered them.

JL ws-6
03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
At this point, it sounds like you have covered everything, it's probably gonna end up being something screwy.

C_Rules
03-27-2009, 09:56 PM
changed the plugs logged the car and the problem is still there even got a little worse! at idle i'm reading the left side at full lean 160 and the right side at full rich 108

C_Rules
04-27-2009, 07:49 AM
okay so i did a few things first i set the passenger side to spit out three % less fuel on and that fixed that LT at idle. Then I added 5% to the left side but it remained lean as usual.

Funny how things work out...
I went to my friends house to return his compression gauge and one of his buddies was there. I asked them if they could listen to the car see if you hear anything weird. They told me it had a miss. So Im thinking damn this is going to be a bitch since LT1 wires are so hard to get too. Then his buddy says we'll find out which they are right now. So he goes right in and starts pulling off injectors harness plugs. Anyway long story short cylinders 1 & 7 are problems. Either no spark or no fuel. Taking the car today to see which it is. Hopefully I can get the problem fixed quickly. Running 6 cylinders, ran a 12.81with the a/f all over the place. Wasn't happy with those times but considering i'm down two cylinders I'm pretty optimistic i'll run alot better next time out.

C_Rules
04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
So I'm getting fuel and spark. Plug 7 has gas on it. Still cylinders 1 and 7 not working. Any thoughts?

C_Rules
05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
took the car to the mechanic cylinder 1 is now working but cylinder 7 is still down. seems to be internal possibly a bent valve or a bad ring. im hoping for a bent valve to avoid pulling the motor out.

C_Rules
07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
back from the dead. so the car kept running like :turd: couldn't run better than a 12.9. i couldn't dial in a proper a/f ratio either. so i took it for a leakdown test and there were some mechanical issues. got another rebuild and it turns out i had one cylinder overbored, the valves weren't seated correctly, and a ring was over gapped. i got a new block machined and had everything put back together. the car still ran like :turd:

i pretty much had given up at this point and refused to spend another penny on it except for maintenance. the a/c was blowing hot air so i took it to get the system filled with refrigerant. in the process the mechanic noticed the plug wire on cylinder 8 was arcing so i bought a new set. took the car for a spin and I couldn't believe it. the car was running the way it should have all these years. the thing hauls ass now. no more gas smell, no more split blms, no more vibrations during lockup, no more shitty gas mileage and a steady idle and a/f ratio.

my wires must've been bad for years but never did any arcing. i'm assuming they got screwed up sometime around the second rebuild. i kind of feel like :bash: since a wire change would have fixed my problem years ago but i'm just so happy this thing finally runs right. doing some minor tuning and taking it to the track soon.

JL ws-6
07-18-2011, 09:24 PM
I told ya on 3-26-2009 to put a new set of plugs and wires on the thing... I bet that the 2nd rebuild may, or may not have even been needed... that sounds to me like an engine builder that was looking for a problem since you told him it had one....

Had ya listened, way back then... well you already know.

Glad to hear it's back running and from the sounds of it running like it should. Good luck!