Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Who has a smoker for exhaust leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has a smoker for exhaust leaks

I have a real bad split BLM issue. I need to check if I have any exhaust of vacuum leaks. Does anyone know of a place with a smoker that can be used to find leaks?
Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just dump a little seafoam in your motor, that'll find a leak! Use at your own risk

But not sure who has a smoker or anything to check that. Check this out - http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/arch...p/t-23102.html
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The seafoam will show you any exhaust leaks.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And it may find leaks that you didn't want to know about.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

thanks guys I tried all that stuff in the post above lol. looks like it might be something else. guess I'll try the seafoam. when you say use at your own risk can it harm my motor im not too familiar with it.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

It won't harm your motor at all. Thousands of people use(d) it including myself and never had any issues.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

any sponsors do this? i don't think the neighbors would be too pleased at all the smoke i've been reaidng about. however the motor was freshly rebuilt and i doesn't even have 1K miles on it os it can't be that bad. i read the sticky about seafoaming the car. should i go through all three steps or should i just focus on one?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about having one person block the tail pipes with rags while another listens for leaks?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
How about having one person block the tail pipes with rags while another listens for leaks?
couldn't that hurt the car though kind of similar to sticking a potato in the tail pipe lol. or are they only supposed to lightly cover the tail pipes?

i would feel bad for whoever is back there the car has an ORY, !evap, !egr, and !a.i.r. a respirator would be necessary

i think i'm going with the seafoam seems like it would be the most obvious way to find a leak.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Just tighten all the clamps up and the header bolts and see if it goes away. If you have about 1000 miles on it since it was put together chances are something worked it's way loose from the heat cycles. Tightening everthing will probably fix it.

What makes you think there's a leak anyway? Noise?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Just tighten all the clamps up and the header bolts and see if it goes away. If you have about 1000 miles on it since it was put together chances are something worked it's way loose from the heat cycles. Tightening everthing will probably fix it.

What makes you think there's a leak anyway? Noise?
I've checked the header bolts they are good. I've sprayed carb cleaner around the manifold and TB and no stalling. I have split BLMs and I've tried a bunch of stuff but nothing is working. New O2s, Opening the TB blades, closing the TB blades, modifying the TB's IAC passage playing with timing and nothing seems to fix it. The Long Term trims are still messed up at idle. The Left Long Term trim is lean in the 140s and up and the Right Long Term trim is pegged at 108. The short terms aren't that bad. I out of tuning options except for modifiying the ICFTs. Before I go there I want to make sure there are no exhaust leaks of any kind. I don't really hear any leaks but i'm starting to think something is wrong since no tune modifications help.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you turn all the O2's off completely, then maybe put a wideband in each header, just to make sure that you don't have some wiring problem or something stupid like that?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Can you turn all the O2's off completely, then maybe put a wideband in each header, just to make sure that you don't have some wiring problem or something stupid like that?
if i set the car to run in open loop the O2s wont provide any correction so that is like turning them off. i have a wideband. however i dont think my wideband cable is long enough to be able to do put them in the headers. i would have to borrow somoenes lc2 or go to a shop with a dyno and have them hook their wideband up to the car. i'll have to try that if the seafoam doesn't clear this mess up.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

wait a moment i just realized this motor is freshly rebuilt. will it still smoke enough for me to find a leak?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C_Rules
couldn't that hurt the car though kind of similar to sticking a potato in the tail pipe lol. or are they only supposed to lightly cover the tail pipes?

i would feel bad for whoever is back there the car has an ORY, !evap, !egr, and !a.i.r. a respirator would be necessary

i think i'm going with the seafoam seems like it would be the most obvious way to find a leak.
lol just blocking the exhaust for a few seconds won't hurt anything, although it does get a little nasty for the person doing the blocking.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C_Rules
wait a moment i just realized this motor is freshly rebuilt. will it still smoke enough for me to find a leak?
I will still smoke but from what I've seen, the newer the motor, the less it'll smoke.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

i bought the seafoam. i'll be doing it to the car this week. i put it off for a little bit because i sent my injectors to get flow tested and cleaned after getting some weird header temps on two cylinders (1 & 7). i got the injectors back and they are all flow matched. once i put them back on i'll seafoam the car.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

okay so i got my injectors back on the car and i took it out to log it. the left side is now in the 140-139 range at idle and the right side is pegged at 115-116. so there was an improvement the left is less lean and the right side is less rich. this is for the long term fuel trims. they are split across the board not just idle. the short terms are looking pretty good within +/-5 of 128.

im not sure if it was the injector cleaning that helped out the long term trims or if it was the change in whether as it is in the 60s now compared to the 30 and 40s. i rune in SD mode.

next step is to seafoam the car and see if i can find any leaks.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

so i was able to get my hands on an hvac smoke machine. turns out i don't have any leaks at all vacuum or intake. looks like my split BLMs may be due to something else. maybe bad plug/wire or something else. all i know is that at WOT my left side is reading really lean causing the car to dump fuel into that bank and screwing up my track times. the car is supposed to be in the 11s and its running high 12s
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought that the 02's switch off at wot. i thought that fueling was done out of the pe/ve tables at that point. i'm no tuner just what i heard. my tuner said my car was dumping fuel into the drivers bank. no matter how much he added it still wanted more. he said a leak just like your looking for. i couldn't find one though. it's still like this a year and a half later. good luck and keep us posted if you figure it out