General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Castrol Edge

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castrol Edge

everybody raves about German Castrol, and how it has awesome wear protection. now, i know that Castrol Edge is NOT the same as German Castrol, but is Castrol using alot of the same additives in the Edge as in the German stuff?
Castrol claims Edge has 8x better wear protection than Mobil1... thats the reason for my question.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i don't really know the answer to your question, but i think people get to hyped up over oil. castrol edge is supposed to go 15,000 miles or one whole year between changes, but what i don't get is all oil is going to get dirty no matter what brand it is. if it doesn't get dirty, i would think it wasn't doing its job of cleaning the engine. that being said, the edge oil might HOLD UP for a year, but it should be getting dirty enough to change long before that. i may be wrong, because i sure don't study this often, but thats just what i think.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im curious as well. We just got some in at o'reillys and was thinking about buying some because autozone is always sold out of GC and Amsoil 5w-40 is too expensive...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Haha I was just going to make a post on this. Is there anyway we can get Bob from BobIsTheOilGuy to do the same tests he did on GC0w30?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sucker born every minute...

vince from shamwow says, you know the german's always make good stuff. So it seems logical that german castrol must be a superior oil
Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah, and i think castrol is being sued by mobil again. maybe not sued, but I thought I heard mobil filed some bullshit against castrol again like they did when castrol started marketing group 3 petroleum oil as synthetic. There is no factual evidence that castrol edge has 8 times the wear protection than mobil, it's all fabricated bullshit that cannot be proven true or false or it's in such a gray area of interpretation that would be too expensive and impractical to prove so castrol can get away with advertising that.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

vince from shamwow says, you know the german's always make good stuff.
in the commercials for "The Slapper" Vince from shamwow also says "You're gonna love my nuts"... point being, he's an idiot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtX1iruGFFA

i've never used the german castrol, but i have read up on it alittle because i wanted to know what the hype was about. long story short: the europeans have higher standards on their oils. guys on this site have posted up lab results of the stuff and have gotten less wear on the engine after more miles.

i don't believe everything i've read on the internet, so i would like to try it for myself... but one problem, there's very little of it to get. if this is a comparable product from castrol i'd like to try it.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do a search on BITOG for it, I'm sure someone has had it analyzed after running it and if they haven't it won't be long. I'm sticking with GC now that I have a nice stockpile that I bought on sale.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

WS6 store sells GC by the case if you have trouble finding it locally. Its worth using imo. It costs the same as every other synthetic but has proven that it works better in LS engines for sure.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

vince from shamwow says, you know the german's always make good stuff. So it seems logical that german castrol must be a superior oil
holy **** my buddy got some of those..like I figured it was bad but damn, we were better off with paper towels. All the sham-WOW did was move the water around.