LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

headers- coated or not???

Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers- coated or not???

what is the differance between coated and non-coated, besides that they are prettier?? And what does header wrap do for you??
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coated. The coating keeps underhood temperatures down and prevents rust. Non-coated will rust in days.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiers
Coated. The coating keeps underhood temperatures down and prevents rust. Non-coated will rust in days.
No coating prevents rust. It only delays it. My high-temp ceramic coated Jet Hots began rusting within 3 months.

If you want a header that's both rust-proof and keeps temps down, invest in a set of ceramic coated stainless steel (LPP, Kooks) headers. Stainless steel is the key.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with RamAir. Ceramic coating offers performance benefits as it keeps the engine bay cooler and increases exhaust gas velocity.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
No coating prevents rust. It only delays it. My high-temp ceramic coated Jet Hots began rusting within 3 months.

If you want a header that's both rust-proof and keeps temps down, invest in a set of ceramic coated stainless steel (LPP, Kooks) headers. Stainless steel is the key.
+1 on getting SS, if you've got the money. I wish I did when I installed my headers.

Header wrap will serve the same purpose of ceramic coating, but will lock in moisture around your headers (promoting rust), and will allow combustible fluids a place to accumulate.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Ceramic coating is generally on both the inside and outside of the tube, whereas header wrap is not. I've always heard that header wrap is a bad idea because it causes the steel to get very hot, which promotes oxidation and reduces the life of the header.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line, run Stainless Steel and don't use headers wrap like stated above. It locks in moisture and will eventually start to rust them.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO coated is just a waste of money, they are going to discolor or rust eventually. Save the money for something else.

What I've always done and so far have had good luck with it once i get the headers, sanding them then spraying them with VHT high temp engine paint. So far so good on the set I did for my GTO, just some minor rust around where the tubes all meet, (which i can pull these off and make them look new again, and reinstall them all in a couple hours but ive had them on for 5 years and got caught in a couple rain storms

So Id rather save the money, paint them and they will probably outlast the coated ones, and then I can actually repaint them if needed, where the coated ones may be difficult when the coating starts to flake off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: headers- coated or not???