General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tranny Flush.....need all the opinions i can get!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Flush.....need all the opinions i can get!

I have a 2000 Trans Am A4 with 62,000 miles on it and i think i am way over due for a tranny flush. My question is, should i get a tranny flush at a shop or should i drain the fluid myself and replace the filter myself? I have read plenty of threads on this topic but honestly, i have not seen a straight forward response. Is it really bad to get it flushed professionally?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Never, ever chemically flush the tranny, (IMHO) after all those miles there will be some varnish, etc built up on the metal parts but once its gone you have bare metal contact, not good! Just drain it and refill, change the filter, etc. And clean the pan out. I know there is another process that will just change the fliud while it's running and this way the converter gets "cleaned" out with fresh oil. I've known a couple of people that did the chemical flush and had serious problems afterwards.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

if you dont want to take it to a shop drop the pan like you where saying other wise look for a shop that has a trans fluid exchanger, that they use for tranny flushes which is what flssls1 was talking about. thats what we use at the shop that i work at and it works great and theres hardly any mess and you dont have to buy a new pan gasket. i like using this vs dropping the pan personally but idk lol its up to you and how much you wanna spend.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

PS. look at your fluid b4 you take it in if its dark and smells a bit its due if its a light redish pink still your fine.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No don't get a tranny flush! Bad idea, as FLSSLS1 said. Just a fluid and filter change. You can have a shop do that but don't let them do a chemical flush.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

btw the trans fluid exchanger that our shop uses and others use does not use chemicals just replaces the old fluid with the new by taping into the tranny lines and using the tranny pump.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks for your replies. I'm just worried because they say to do this every so often and i don't think its ever been done. I will check the fluid again and take it from there.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish i had saved some of the articles written on tranny flushes in the business, was in motor magazine i think. there's a bunch and they all do flushes different ways, the worst is where they back flush fluid through the filter which causes the debris in the filter to flow through the system. then there's ones that uses chemicals to supposedly clean but all that does it dislodge debris then that debris finds it's way into the valve body and solenoids screwing things up, and then there's uncertainty to where the cleaning chemical is actually completely flushed out. So no, I would not do a flush or use any kind of fluid change machine. Just like carburetors and fuel additives, trans flushes and cleanings don't work, the only real way is to completely disassemble, clean, and reassemble. And you most likely don't need a flush. just do a pan drop, replace the filter, add fluid, then pull the trans fluid lines at the cooler at the radiator. start and idle the car for 10 seconds and let the trans pump fluid out those lines into a bucket, stop car and add more fluid to trans so the pan doesn't run out. This return line from the cooler going back to the trans is ideal because the trans pumps fluid into the torque converter then fluid goes to the cooler so this way you're getting old fluid out of the torque converter and not letting it mix with the new fluid in the pan. Do this till the fluid coming out of the line is clean clear red fresh trans fluid, reassemble then top off the trans so it;s properly filled. Did this on my 2003 jeep GC and it worked great, just be careful you don't make a mess, have someone hold the return line in a bucket if possible.
When you get air bubbles coming out, the trans pan is going dry so stop engine and add a few qts of fluid to the trans then continue.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

At 62,000 miles, I agree to just do the basic remove the pan/filter change. Do this and then start changing the fluid every 20-30,000 miles or so.

I haven't had the chemical flush and haven't even heard of that. I bought a car (Nissan) with 90,000 miles on it and had the "flush" done with the fancy machine. It just pumps clean fluid through the tranny until all of the old fluid is replaced with new fluid...no chemicals. It gets all of the fluid rather than just 2-3 quarts you get from dropping the pan. That was about $125. Car ran great for another 100,000 miles...I just sold it a few months ago to a kid going to college.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
At 62,000 miles, I agree to just do the basic remove the pan/filter change. Do this and then start changing the fluid every 20-30,000 miles or so.

I haven't had the chemical flush and haven't even heard of that. I bought a car (Nissan) with 90,000 miles on it and had the "flush" done with the fancy machine. It just pumps clean fluid through the tranny until all of the old fluid is replaced with new fluid...no chemicals. It gets all of the fluid rather than just 2-3 quarts you get from dropping the pan. That was about $125. Car ran great for another 100,000 miles...I just sold it a few months ago to a kid going to college.
Dropping the pan and filter is not a complete deal, though it's good. It only gets 40-50% of the fluid in the tranny, and the filter only stops big pieces, so you don't really need to change it. If you're comfortable servicing it, you may as well do a flush. (I'm **** and did both on mine once).

I did this on my auto when I had it, the regular flush, using the tranny's own pump. I don't know of any that back flush. I used BG's stuff and services and it kicks ***. At your mileage, it's a good risk to go ahead and do it. If you were over 100k, it's a BIG risk and I'd tell you to leave it alone, because of the varnish mentioned above. If you do it every 30k, these A4s will last a long time. I got my Z at 33k, and flushed the tranny 3x during its life, until I pulled it at 130k. WHen pulled, the fluid was still red, clean, and it shifted great. Thing is, if you flush and shouldn't have, you'll know within a few hundred miles - clutches will burn and A4 will go tango umbrella. If you go past that, you've added miles to the life of the tranny. That's why I talk about risk vs. mileage of first flush. After 100k, that varnish may actually be holding the tranny together (common but not how it's designed to work) so when you get rid of the varnish, there's nothing artificial holding the tranny together and POOF you're walking.

The reason I like BG is their warranty. If you start using their services/products by a certain mileage, and keep it up, and dcoument it, if your tranny fails internally - they'll cut you a big *** check. Same with engines too. That's pretty strong.

Regardless of the product, changing the fluids in these cars is one of the best things you can do, along with injector cleaning, and R&R the air and fuel filters. I do this and at 160k, my car still runs tight and damn strong.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a shop drop the pan and change the filter as mentioned ... i had mine done when car had between 55k-60k. it now has 75k no probs.... just make sure and check the color of your fluid....
Old 02-14-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

thanks for your thoughts! i appreciate all of them. when the weather warms up i will get on this.

Search this Thread