Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb,tpi,lt1,ls1into a 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default carb,tpi,lt1,ls1into a 3rd gen?

im looking into doing a swap in a3rd gen i want to buy soon i wanted to know what would be more cost effective if i start a mild FI build, concidering i buy a 5speed car, concidering all the adapters to make all the gauges work in the car, tank, harnesses etc with a goal of 550hp what would be the most cost effective way to go, i originally wanted to keep the tpi engine going but what is makeing me think is the tunning thats going to be required, sending the computer to be burn every time you change something does not sound fun, i dont know how much dyno tunning you would be ble to do either....im not filthy rich so the build is probably going to be a slow one and wanted to do most of the stuff myself , so the less fabricating and welding the better,

im planning on using forged parts for the build, i just dont know what generation motor to go with, like mention before i want to reach my goal and daily drive the car, not skimp out on anything or not have money for exterior work and interior work

thanks guys

Last edited by davidadavila; 02-12-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry man, but the bottom line is that 550 hp isn't going to be cheap, no matter how you do it. The most-economical way that I can think of is to build a 400 or 420 hp small-block, & then add a 125 shot - but you're still looking at (at least) 3 or 4 grand if you want it to live for a little while...

And, not to be a PITA, but a general non-LS-specific question like this might be better addressed in TGO's 'General Engine' forum... If you make the decision to do an LS swap, then this board (along with TGO's LTx/LSx forum) rocks...

Good luck, whichever way you go with it.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are only looking for 550hp then use a junkyard 5.3 LS truck motor with a MP T70 on it. You could probably get it all in there and running for around $4500-$5000. 550hp can be had with 16lbs of boost, pump gas and meth. Acouple of people on here are making in the 600's with the same set up.