Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Looking for suggestions after searching for a street/strip setup

Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for suggestions after searching for a street/strip setup

I've been stuck in between getting a drag setup with skinnies and DR's in the rear or getting 11in ZR1s on the rear with some DR's(I have 9.5in in the front now). My problem comes in that I have C5 brakes in the front. Nothing fits over them but my 9.5in ZR1's. I tried to stick some 16in stockers on the front just to see where I could do as far as skinnes go in the front and they would require a ton of grinding..which I do not feel comfortable with. I'm also trying to keep the brakes in the front, they do help alot with stopping power. Now what skinnies would fit in the front anyways - the only wheels that I know of that do not require grinding to fit over the rear calipers are bogarts and billet specialties, right? I've been looking at billet specialties as the car will still be getting alot of street love but even the 17in dont clear the C5 brakes. So will the only thing I would be able to do is switch to race brakes or run my 17in ZR1's and try to find an 11in wheel now that tomzwheel does not sell anymore? Just throw DR's on the 17x11s and call it a day? I COULD go back to stock LS1 brakes but if I did that I'd probably shoot for prostars but seems they require alot of work to get on the car as far as grinding/smashing inner fender walls go. All in all - I wish there was more of a selection for drag pack setups that just bolt on and go on our cars, considering they are so commonly used at the strip! Just looking for some opinions and direction to get this car hooking and looking nice, considering right now from 20-120+ car feels like its on DR's in the rain...thanks guys
Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have C5 brakes and run Weld Prostars 15x4 with about spacers about 3/8" thick.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have options. You can run CCW drag wheels as the corvette guys do. We can fit our Bogart 17x4.5 drag wheel (we use for C5's) with matching drag rear 15.

You can choose our Bogart road race wheels which we can build to fit your car. We can build as small as 17x4.5" in the road race series and build as wide as 17".

As the above posted mentioned, you can try what he did. I think the wheel will stick out too far for some tastes, it's a relatively inexpensive option.

As long as you're using your brake package for road racing or anything other than drag racing concerns, then keep them. For the money spent, they are not the best option for skinny drag wheels. With those brakes, you'l just skid more as the footprint is so small on a skinny wheel. If drag racing is what you like to do, then switching to the stock brakes will be your best bet. (if you want to run drag wheels easier)

These are all options to consider. It's a matter of what your budget entails balanced with what you want the car to look like and perform.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe not the best, but for clarity around how the wheels set in the wheel well.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good picture. For clarification, depending on the type of brake pads and wear, fitment will vary for your wheel. You may want to keep an eye with lifting the front end and it coming down hard. You'll probably hit the upper plastic fender lip (if you haven't already).

Hopefully our comments helped the original poster. Have a great day!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
You may want to keep an eye with lifting the front end and it coming down hard. You'll probably hit the upper plastic fender lip (if you haven't already).

Hopefully our comments helped the original poster. Have a great day!
I have.
I have also adjusted the QA1's since that pic to prevent it from happening again.

Search this Thread