LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water out of the tail pipes??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water out of the tail pipes??

im getting water and steam out of my tailpipes!!!!! have I blown a head gasket?? Not too important cuz im picking up my 383 in a week, but im curious.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Depends I suppose. Are you seeing constant smoke out of the exhaust? Start your car with the radiator cap off and see if the coolant looks to be boiling. You can also change your oil and see if the consistency is milky (mixed coolant/oil)
Old 02-13-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Small amounts of moisture is very normal.

If you're blowing white smoke that has a sweet smell to it, then yes you most likely have a blown head gasket. Monitor your coolant level to be sure.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

oh yeah, i forgot to add that its loosing alot of coolant. i have to add some every time i go somewhere. and the engine is real shakey at the lower rpm's. almost feels like a burnt wire, but i know it isnt the wires, cuz i just changed them 3 days ago.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with that description sounds as if you have a cyl. taking on some coolant
Old 02-13-2009, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

thats what im thinking. that would be the head gasket, correct???
Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a headgasket or a cracked head
Old 02-13-2009, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

im guessing the gasket, cuz it started losing coolant slowly at first, but noow its gotten alot worse.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well they said how to diagnose it. Smell the exhaust. Pretty much anyone who's wrenched can tell when their exhaust smells abnormal to what it should. If not, I suggest you get a tin of coolant, oil and fuel and while outside in a well ventilated area burn each Not with an open flame mind you, an electric hotplate comes to mind though! Mind you this really isn't a good idea, but it'll get the job done. A really hot bolt dipped into the three would do it too I guess...

Anyways, more on topic. It all depends on the amount of water. What I'd do, after smelling it, is just let it drip on your finger and take a taste. If there's no flavor, it's water and people just condensation in the pipe from the hot exhaust and the cooler outside temp (or cold outside temp if you're north of Tennessee heh). Coolant can go many places besides into your cylinders. The ground is the most common place and if your water pump is going out, it could be pissing out the weep hole, all over your opti. And even though yours is vented, it could still put some moisture in there and thus a rough idle.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i have a similar situation i am also wondering about. i get white smoke but only at start up. im loosing coolant and i cant figure out where its going. nothing on the ground under the car. cant find any leaks whatsoever. car runs great (has an intermittent high rpm/load miss tho) idles like a cammed car should. any thoughts?
cant smell anything sweet, just running rich because of the lack of tunning
Old 02-14-2009, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of you have done recent engine work the coolant system might not be fully bled causing the loss of coolant. Steam is very normal on big V8s this time of year while the car is warming up.
If coolant keeps dissapearing, car runs like ****, smoke never goes away, no leaks on the ground and exhaust smells funny. Car has milky oil or coolant that smells like gas. Do a compression test or leak down test to be sure.
You could also test your coolant and oil to see if they are mixing
Old 02-14-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
If any of you have done recent engine work the coolant system might not be fully bled causing the loss of coolant. Steam is very normal on big V8s this time of year while the car is warming up.
If coolant keeps dissapearing, car runs like ****, smoke never goes away, no leaks on the ground and exhaust smells funny. Car has milky oil or coolant that smells like gas. Do a compression test or leak down test to be sure.
You could also test your coolant and oil to see if they are mixing
LOL No offense AC, but I think that's the most informed post I've seen you make Our lil man is growing up
Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

in a perfect a/f ratio with pure refined gasoline the chemical equation for combustion is

2C8H18 + 25O2 -> 16CO2 + 18H2O

so the water is not only a byproduct of condensation but it is also a product of combustion. Imperfect a/f ratios will cause either extra o2 molecules in lean conditions or a rich condition would ad more CO (carbon monoxide) but either way you are going to end up with water somewhere

Quick Reply: water out of the tail pipes??