Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Mounting Trans Am side skirts on a Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Trans Am side skirts on a Formula?

Hey everyone.. I have looked for a few hours in hopes that I would not be repeating this question, which probably has been asked a few hundred times.. Well, I couldn't find a solid answer. So, here it goes.. I have a 1995 Pontiac Formula Bird that is being converted over with Trans Am parts. The front and rear bumper covers are pretty much no brainers. However, since my Formula did not come with the holes "pre-drilled" for the side skirts, I was wondering if there was some kind of template available? Any Formula (Firebird) owners out there that have performed this same task? Any positive input would DEFINITELY be appreciated!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

I haven't heard of a template but I just used masking tape, taped a line about where the holes need to be and used the screws to make small marks in my tape line. After I made the marks and I was happy I started drilling.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rancor352
I haven't heard of a template but I just used masking tape, taped a line about where the holes need to be and used the screws to make small marks in my tape line. After I made the marks and I was happy I started drilling.
Darn.. no template! That means I will probably jack it up somehow.. LOL. It would be nice to find some kind of step by step documentation for us noobs! ..LOL.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cheated and did it the easy way when I put mine on. I took off all the clips on the side, wiped it down with the alcohol, and put a line line of 3M double sided adhesive tape. Then just used a couple of jacks, moved the side skirt into position, then used self tapping screws on the underside. They easily support all the weight of the side skirt, while the tape just merely hold the skirt up flush to the car.. Then just removed the film from the outer side of the adhesive, and pressed up against the car. Worked like a charm.

I used the 3M tape rather than the clips that were on it because I really didn't feel comfortable drilling holes along the side of my car in a visible area. Plus it was much easier and less time consuming to use the tape.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm.. I didn't think about using tape. Is that 3m double sided tape have a red peel away and the sticky part of the tape is dark grey / blackish? If so, I have used that tape on my GSX-R 1000 crotch rocket.. I knew it worked pretty well for small projects but not the bigger projects like holding up ground effects..
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got back from picking up my final Formula to Trans Am body part: The Trans Am rear hatch. I found a really good deal on it for $125! (PM me if you need any WS6 T/A parts or Convertible T/A parts). Anyways, has anyone else done the side skirt conversion?? I would really like to hear from you.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

no experience but a friend and his dad put a lip spoiler on a gs400 with just tape. he had the car for a year and a half or so more and that war saw triple digit speeds.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by officermartinez
Hmmm.. I didn't think about using tape. Is that 3m double sided tape have a red peel away and the sticky part of the tape is dark grey / blackish? If so, I have used that tape on my GSX-R 1000 crotch rocket.. I knew it worked pretty well for small projects but not the bigger projects like holding up ground effects..
That's just the thing. The 3M tape isn't supporting any weight. The self tapping screws underneath support it completely. The only thing the tape is doing is just keeping the skirt flush with the body. And yes, the tap is the kind that has the red film on one side.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. I will talk to my paint and body guy and see what he recommends. The thought of me taking a drill or dremel to the body of my car is a little scary.. LOL.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

A little update. He has a trans am on his back lot so I think we are going to actually make a template and drill the holes. If I can remember to bring my camera, i will take pictures.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if he is taking a skirt off the T/A make sure he knows to undo the 2 bolts that hold it to the fender. i had a body shop paint my GFX/bumpers a few years ago and they broke the drivers side GFX piece when they tried to pull it off the car after only undoing the screws under the gfx. then they tried to say the piece just broke on its own. after i bought a used one (luckily i was only about 60 miles from T/A creations at that time) and took it to them and showed them the bolts they knew they screwed up and they took the $100 cost of the new gfx piece off the bill
Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
if he is taking a skirt off the T/A make sure he knows to undo the 2 bolts that hold it to the fender. i had a body shop paint my GFX/bumpers a few years ago and they broke the drivers side GFX piece when they tried to pull it off the car after only undoing the screws under the gfx. then they tried to say the piece just broke on its own. after i bought a used one (luckily i was only about 60 miles from T/A creations at that time) and took it to them and showed them the bolts they knew they screwed up and they took the $100 cost of the new gfx piece off the bill
Great info to know.. Thanks, I'll be sure to pass it on.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Launching!

why would u want to convert a formula to a trans am??? formula's are way more rare than trans ams and they are sleepers cause u got the 6 cylinder look with the lt-1 (or ls-1 power). the only thing i would put on my formula to make it look better is the ws6 hood and airbox. in my opinion ws6 hoods look meaner on formula's cause u have the different fornt bumper with out round fog lights. thats just my opionion. it would make sense to say u should have bought a real trans am if u wanted one and saved the formula's for the people who see the value of them. but hey to each there own. i was just saying my thought on it. its your car, i was just stating my opionion.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96formulabird
why would u want to convert a formula to a trans am??? formula's are way more rare than trans ams and they are sleepers cause u got the 6 cylinder look with the lt-1 (or ls-1 power). the only thing i would put on my formula to make it look better is the ws6 hood and airbox. in my opinion ws6 hoods look meaner on formula's cause u have the different fornt bumper with out round fog lights. thats just my opionion. it would make sense to say u should have bought a real trans am if u wanted one and saved the formula's for the people who see the value of them. but hey to each there own. i was just saying my thought on it. its your car, i was just stating my opionion.
I appreciate the candid feedback. At this point, in my ownership of my car, I am just trying to restore it to what I like. For me, it's not about owning a "sleeper car" or just throwing on a ram air hood. I agree that Formula's are, in their own right, a little more rare of a car vs their close cousin - the Trans Am. I bought my Formula in Feb of 1995. It had 4 miles on the odometer. The moment I test drove it back then, I knew it was "the one" for me. Now that I am almost 40 years old, I would still enjoy driving my car but I am interested in changing a few things to "fit my enjoyment needs". Owning a car, for me, has always been more than just a way to get from point A to point B. Ownership, pride, care, etc all have a significant impact on my F-Body. It's still going to be MY formula and will always be a formula but a little "face lift" isn't a bad thing.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:46 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Formulas are rare? Who the hell cares about rarity? We're not talking about matching numbers Hemi 4 speed cars, we're talking about F body's-a car that's all over this goddamn planet. On that note, why would you want a car with a "six cylinder look?" That'd be like telling your girlfriend "honey, I love your DD breasts but please wear something that makes you look flat-chested because it's more RARE..."

Please.

The T/A is the top of the line looker and the haters just need to deal with it...
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Launching!

officermartinez yes i understand the giving it a face lift and thats fine. i was just giving an opionion and wondering why u were doing it. and yes i love the way trans ams look too, but i just like having the sleeper look i guess for me.

MYK that does not make any sense. i know that were not talking about hemi 4 speeds cause if i had one of them i would be rich. i just meant formula's r in my opionion a good sleeper because they have the 6 cylinder look with all the power of a trans am. and yes f-body's r all over the damn planet, but u see more trans ams then formula's. so therefore im right. and the reason i want the 6 cylinder look is because when people come up to me and want to race they think im just a poor old 6 cylinder and then i blow the doors off whatever they r driving.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Different people have different opinions and while some are like "oooh yeah a Formula because it looks like V6 it = sleeper" very true but at the same time sometimes it's about looks too. Others might feel that the bird bath spoiler isn't all that hot, and that the V6 looks wear off over time. The Trans Am spoiler doesn't match up looks wise with the basic Firebird/Formula rear bumper, and then the Formula front bumper doesn't line up to TA side gfx. A lot of people frown upon the Formula to TA conversion, but I think there's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't do the TA badges even though all TA's start out with the WS9 (Formula Conversion) RPO code. As long as the W66 code is there then at heart the car will always be a Formula.

Maybe I just take up for it since I'm going to do the TA conversion on my Formula after 9 years with the V6 looks, though I'm not adding TA badges or any badges on the sides for that matter & I'm planning to do a silver CETA filler panel with Formula lettering in the place of the Trans Am lettering. Different and unique for sure and people may think it sounds stupid but it's my car and it's about what I like or what I think will look good.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Launching!

^^^so true and i understand i was just stating my opionion guys no big deal.

Quick Reply: Mounting Trans Am side skirts on a Formula?