Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Worth it to ship my heavily modified 408 Z from VA to CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Worth it to ship my heavily modified 408 Z from VA to CA?

When I moved out to CA a year and a half ago for a job, I left my camaro behind in VA. I've been making trips back to VA every couple months or so and have been taking it for drives and maintaining it as much as possible. It sits under a cover under a carport outside in the meantime.

Lately I've been getting to the itch to ship it out here but I'm not sure it's really worth the money involved to do so and make it CA legal to the point where I can be able to drive and enjoy it without having to worry about cops on my ***.

Anyone well versed in complying with, or skirting, the issues associated with running a highly modified LS1 around CA, specifically the Bay Area? As the car stands now, it's got a 408 with huge cam, LT's, 2 high flow cat's, straight out the back through a single resonated SLP LM1 exhaust. The **** is loud and burns a lot of fuel. There is no way it would pass emissions without a total engine and exhaust swap. Is there any way around this? Is there a way to register it as a "collector" vehicle or some crap so I can just take it for cruises on nice days and such?

Anyone with experience/info regarding all of these issues would be greatly appreciated. I'd love it to finally have my Z back. If I can't have it, I'll be forced to buy an emissions legal vehicle and that just doesn't feel right.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can check with a buddy up that way who has a tbird turbo coupe that he had smogged, I will find out if the place he went to is that friendly.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned Village Idiot

you can still drive it around here with VA plates
Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
you can still drive it around here with VA plates
not if he has a cali driver license he'll get fucked with.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea. I did that with my Jetta when I first moved out here. I still had a valid VA license and plates and I still got pulled over twice for it. The law is that you have 20 days from becoming a resident to get plates for the vehicle, or 20 days from the date it entered the state to acquire plates for it. Like I said, I'm not looking to go any route that will cause me consistent worry.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have family back there then you can keep it registered in VA then you dont have to worry about it, just pay your family to pay the fees.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

To my understanding, in order to consistently operate a vehicle as a CA resident, it must be registered in CA. Therefore, it doesn't matter where it was last registered. If you're a resident here and driving the car on CA roads, you must title it as a CA car, thus paying the taxes toward the roadways you are operating on.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, CHP is 1/4 mile from my house.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
To my understanding, in order to consistently operate a vehicle as a CA resident, it must be registered in CA. Therefore, it doesn't matter where it was last registered. If you're a resident here and driving the car on CA roads, you must title it as a CA car, thus paying the taxes toward the roadways you are operating on.
If the car is registered in someone else's name in a different state then you're fine. Otherwise they'll **** with you if it's in your name and you hold a cali license. There are friendly smog shops in cali if that's what you're asking. If you have to take it to a ref, there are friendly refs but it costs. If you have to take it to a ref it's more of a pain in the ***.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I find it hard to believe CA would let a CA resident indefinitely drive a car registered to someone else in another state. I think what I'm going to have to do is head up to CHP and ask them directly about what does and doesn't fly for car registration.

So, ASSuming I would have to register it here, let's address smog. Even if I did find a "friendly" smog person to pass me and get everything straight on paper, I really feel like my car would lead to their ultimate demise as there is no way I am not going to get pulled over daily in my obnoxiously loud *** camaro by CHP who I would assume will eventually find out who passed this vehicle that is killing the precious environment.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are quite a few people with obnoxiously loud camaros out here, you would be surprised how many are not hassled, they really only like to get the ricers.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Also, CHP is 1/4 mile from my house.
yikes...they're the biggest sticklers when it comes to modified vehicals...but they pick on the import crowd more than anyone
Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

hmmm. well i have my car registered to my name in cali, i am technically a nevada resident with a nevada license and i was pulled over a week ago for a speeding ticket and he didn't say anything about the plates on my car. but then again, cali likes to squeeze every dime they can from people so you might have to register it in cali.

i think if your license is from VA you might be in good shape, my parents have all their cars registered in nevada and keep most of them in california and don't really see any problems.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I had to get a hole put in my VA license when I got my CA license in order to register/title my new car.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

eh. im sure there is a loop hole in the system somewhere to your advantage lol
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I had to get a hole put in my VA license when I got my CA license in order to register/title my new car.
damn that sucks, i came to texas and they tried taking mine also and i just told them i lost it...but getting ur car inspected will be cake out in cali...if u know the right people..its much more expensive than Texas...i payed 80bucks to get it sinpected and pass emissions with flying colors..lol...but i gotta do it every year so it kinda sucks and at the end u pay more than cali
Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I'm just worried about cops stopping me and realizing there is no way in hell this thing passed inspection as they choke on the fumes and see my "passed" smog certificate.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Only one way to find out.I've been pulled over twice by chp.
They didn't hassle me for my loud car(h/c true duals).
BUt a 408 is way louder.My car is my daily driver,it just depends
on the officer.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

ArcticZ28, most of what you're saying regarding getting harassed and found out about depends upon what happens IF you are stopped. I would cross that bridge when I needed to.

In the meantime, I would keep it registered in VA, and bring it out here. If stopped, come up with a story (just moved out here, only visiting relatives, etc.).
Old 02-14-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, ASSuming I would have to register it here, let's address smog. Even if I did find a "friendly" smog person to pass me and get everything straight on paper, I really feel like my car would lead to their ultimate demise as there is no way I am not going to get pulled over daily in my obnoxiously loud *** camaro by CHP who I would assume will eventually find out who passed this vehicle that is killing the precious environment.
You will have to fall on your sword and admit that the mods were done after being smogged.

Quick Reply: Worth it to ship my heavily modified 408 Z from VA to CA?