Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F**K prothane tranny mounts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F**K prothane tranny mounts!!!

Like the title says WOW they really REALLY suck! (cant stress that enough!)

For the last year now I've been trying to trace vibrations/ changing pinion angles/ having my driveshaft balanced, even bought a second driveshaft! / replaced U-joint's/ replaced convertor (well that one just wanted to go bigger) but it didnt help with the vibes! And have been to the transmission shop numerous times trying to get them to figure it out. Not to mention the hours I've spent under the car myself ... and finally FINALLY! thanks to advice off LS1Tech just switched back to a stock rubber mount I picked up at napa for $21 ******* dollars and that just fixed 95% of my vibrations!

Holly **** are you kidding me!? I'm so happy right now I can drive on the freeway again, and at the same time SOOO pissed at prothane and the jackass who designed their poly trans mount I wish I could kick him square in the nuts so ******* hard for all the money and headach that mount has caused me!
Anyone with an automatic who is thinking of using prothane or any poly trans mount for that matter DONT DO IT! Its not worth it I'd much rather have to replace a torn rubber mount occasionally than ever go back to poly!

And btw the napa mount i got is only listed for 94-97 firebirds but it works great on LS1's trust me! End Rant! I think I'm going to go for a drive and actually enjoy it for the first time in forever... THANK YOU LS1tech!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ehhh... prothane trans mounts are not for street cars. It's not a bad design, you were just using it for the wrong application.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isnt the energy suspension poly trans mount suppost to be much more forgiving than the prothane variant?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
ehhh... prothane trans mounts are not for street cars. It's not a bad design, you were just using it for the wrong application.
No i seriously doubt Any application that it would be benifficial for the car to feel like its going to fly appart at 80 mph let alone 110-120mph through the traps! Thats just completely assenine! It wasn't just a slight vibration I COULDN"T GO OVER 70mph on the freeway without shaking the car appart! And going 110 in thind WOT was just not possible without thinking about my entire driveline grenading! How is that remotly bennificial to any application???
Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

People like to bag on aftermarket products and production ones also. You just have to understand what they are designed for. OEM mount try to meet all the desires of the consumers with maximum durability and pleasibility. While other are designed to handle the abuse of an avid racer. There is always a trade off.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Launching!

OOOkay well let me rephrase that then "If you Have a track only car that you never want to be able to enjoy driving on the street, and dont mind shaking your whole car appart through the traps cuz you dont want to replace a broken rubber mount occasionally Then by all mean have at it!"

Infact I've got a perfectly good prothane mount just sitting here that someone can have for free! Anyone? Local pickup only though HAHA
Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I was not meaning to promote them in any way. I think there should be balance between the two.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

I have a Prothane on my car (for a month or two now) and i am swapping it off....i can't take it anymore. It's like i'm sitting in a rolling vibrating chair. My phone and change bounces around in the car...F it.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ws666
OOOkay well let me rephrase that then "If you Have a track only car that you never want to be able to enjoy driving on the street, and dont mind shaking your whole car appart through the traps cuz you dont want to replace a broken rubber mount occasionally Then by all mean have at it!"

Infact I've got a perfectly good prothane mount just sitting here that someone can have for free! Anyone? Local pickup only though HAHA
must be your car that shakes violently because mine doesnt at all, not at all i drive it on the street and trap 130 and dont feel one vibration out of the norm.

good for you that you found your vibration though, could be something wrng with it or something like that even though that is hard to imagine.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camscam02
must be your car that shakes violently because mine doesnt at all, not at all i drive it on the street and trap 130 and dont feel one vibration out of the norm.

good for you that you found your vibration though, could be something wrng with it or something like that even though that is hard to imagine.
Yea Whats up camscam I've met you before btw. Your car and a couple others must be the exception to the rule. I know I have a slight amount of flexplat runout that is just slighly noticable still, and will still be adressed thats why I said it fixed 95% of my vibes and not 100% but the fact is the prothane mount amplifies any vibrations X1000 and most auto's apparently have "some" vibrations...
Old 02-14-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

I switched to a Prothane mount on my LT1/T56 car and didn't notice a thing? Its been in there since September of 07 and the car has no notable vibrations beyond whats normal. I have to wonder if its a thing with the A4 cars. Whatever the case, im glad your problem is fixed.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ws666
Yea Whats up camscam I've met you before btw. Your car and a couple others must be the exception to the rule. I know I have a slight amount of flexplat runout that is just slighly noticable still, and will still be adressed thats why I said it fixed 95% of my vibes and not 100% but the fact is the prothane mount amplifies any vibrations X1000 and most auto's apparently have "some" vibrations...
didnt even notice you were from modesto? hmm did i meet you when you had a car out at sac maybe? i have a horrible memory but i would remember a maroon ta. hmmmm... but yea mine and other must be, but i didnt notice difference when i switched mounts. so idk.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a prothane mount too. the vibrations were definatly more but the car didn't really shake. i didn't have problems going fast either. change in the cup holder would vibrate and such but that is about it. i went with a gm rubber mount and it is more pleasurable.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

wow i know a guy who has prothane motor and trans in a M6 and he seems very pleased. no unusual vibes either....im not getting the trans although i do have the motor mount but i can tolerate them.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm I don't mind mine at all. I guess to each their own.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

I broke 2 energy suspension mounts....went back to stock mount and havent had a problem since.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mounts don't CAUSE vibrations. The job of an engine or transmission mount is to positively locate the driveline in the vehicle AND to isolate the body from vibration and noise to some extent. Also, for someone looking to transmit as much power to the ground as possible, solid mounts would be ideal, followed by poly mounts, then lastly stock rubber mounts. As stated above, there are tradeoffs for any performance enhancment. The stock rubber mount's job is to MASK vibrations in your drivetrain. Just because you don't feel those vibrations anymore, doesn't mean they aren't there...

Shane
Old 02-14-2009, 03:57 PM
8 Second Club

I have the Energy Suspension poly mount, and it great. But as stated , I have never had a vibe issue that would be worse with the poly.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Launching!

So sounds like the six speeds and th400 guys and some auto's Dont have as much as a vibration issue as me and some others...

I just really needed to rant because I've been dealing with this **** for a year now just trying to make my car driveable on the freeway again and all I needed was a 20 dollar rubber mount! I'm pretty sure 90% of people would feel the same after dealing with everything I have, and spending all the money I have....

I know this didnt fix what was causing me to fill all the vibes through the poly mount, Like i said it just reduced 95% of the vibration I can feel in the car and I still have prothane motor mounts in there and their staying...

But if your car does have any drivline vibrations the prothane mount makes them feel 100X worse inside the car! like I said I couldn't go over 80 without it feeling like it was going to fly appart and even at 60-70 was hard to see out my mirrors cuz they were vibrating so bad! So basically at least I can drive my car pleasurably now until I can get a new sfi flexplate in it and my vibes should be 100% gone...

Even when they are gone I'm not putting the prothane mount back in! I'm just going to go with UMI's torque arm relocation bracket to reduce stress on the tailhouse and prevent ripping the rubber mount in half. I've read several posts from people who went this rout and it seems to be the best of both worlds...
Old 02-14-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run solid mounts and a poly trans mount. Havent had a single issue what-so-ever. Car doesnt shake like the OP describes his. It does vibrate a bit more at idle but once you get going there isnt a huge vibration. I think something may still be wrong you just cant notice it.

Quick Reply: F**K prothane tranny mounts!!!