Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx swap in a Shelby replica body????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx swap in a Shelby replica body????

Well, I see alot of these Ford A/C Shelby replica's around my neck of woods..I've raced a few over the years and have always had my hands full, as they rip...These replica Shelby bodies are extremely light in weight and can be made to go real fast.. This company provides the replica bodies for under $8 grand..

What are your thoughts on these? It looks to me like for around $15 grand you can make one hell of a fast and nice looking LSx powered Shelby repilca...8 grand for the body and maybe $10 grand for the used LS3 engine and tranny and other goodies... Short headers out the side, and that replica would rip and may look decent, no? Probably not a bad investment either as the replica's when done right sell for a pretty penny..

Drop an LS7 in one and I would bet you would have an absolute rocket..

Check this out and give my your thoughts...

http://www.shellvalley.com/Replicas_...Cobra_Replica/

Last edited by JIBBBY; 02-14-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

that would be badass.. i love a/c cobras. DO IT!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a wicked little machine... I'D sport it!!

(davidbakergli, careful with that avatar - someone could lose an eye!)
Old 02-14-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

definitely, but make it carb with a front drive dizzy..
Old 02-14-2009, 02:30 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Someone has a current build thread for a Factory Five here and I remember seeing at least one other Factory Five with a LSx in it.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

lots of guys on Factory Five have LSx powered Shelbys. Lightweight car with a lightweight motor that still makes the power. A little custom fabbing is necessary but they work.

Another monster they make has the Terminator driveline, they are called Super Cobras.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Village Idiot

Hey, I see alot of potential in those Shelby bodies... Cool looking too if done right...

I am working on this Lexus LS3 swap, but as I do this I think wow, the Shelby deal would really be something... Probably weighs 1000lbs less then my SC400...

I will look into this Factory Five...
Old 02-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Yep I'm doing an LS swap into a roadster. Links are in my sig if you wanna check them out. There's a thread here also just do a search. Just drove it in gokart form for the first time Sat.

I know the shellvalley cars are popular with the aussie crowd, plus they love the LS swaps. Either way not a bad way to go for a fun car. Doesn't have to break the bank either..

Tails
Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds Like a great combo to me. Would make for a very fun day cruiser/open track toy. I know I've been kicking around the idea of doing a Total Performance T-Bucket kit as well. Turbo LS1, T56 in a bucket..... Hmmmnn...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by tails8
Yep I'm doing an LS swap into a roadster. Links are in my sig if you wanna check them out. There's a thread here also just do a search. Just drove it in gokart form for the first time Sat.

I know the shellvalley cars are popular with the aussie crowd, plus they love the LS swaps. Either way not a bad way to go for a fun car. Doesn't have to break the bank either..

Tails

That roadster build of yours looks like a big project, is it running yet?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

yeah http://www.factoryfive.com/index.html is top notch stuff! not sure how their prices compare to that shellvalley co but I've seen f5's factory and their products so I'd recomend them any day. I saw a german company online that was selling completed kits with big cube 1000hp engines but that was years ago and havnt been able to find them again since.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

As Tails8 build shows they can we one wicked ride, but I think you better at least double that $15 grand figure for a realistic cost.

Pat
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it will be a wicked machine. I'd rock the hell out of it.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Launching!

That roadster build of yours looks like a big project, is it running yet?
Yep here's the first start vid from last month and the gokart vid from last weekend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZCQ...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a4RU0lnjR8

Like Stu said if you do decide to go this route. That 19k is just for the car. I've had to figure out the motor, trans, wiring, pcm mounting, entire fuel system, etc.., and that added to my cost. Take a look at the blog and pics in my sig. I've pretty much documented every step of the build. It's a big project however if you take your time and tackle one thing at a time you'll be ok.

z_speedfreak posted a link to the factory five website. That's the route I went. I went through and researched pretty much all the other companies out there before starting this. I went the FFR route cause I wanted to actually build my car the way I wanted it. Not to throw money at someone and say build it with their ideas in mind..

Tails
Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
As Tails8 build shows they can we one wicked ride, but I think you better at least double that $15 grand figure for a realistic cost.

Pat
You're probably right... I am learning just how expensive regular engine car swaps can be... It's all the little things the ad up in a hurry...
Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by tails8
Yep here's the first start vid from last month and the gokart vid from last weekend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZCQ...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a4RU0lnjR8

Like Stu said if you do decide to go this route. That 19k is just for the car. I've had to figure out the motor, trans, wiring, pcm mounting, entire fuel system, etc.., and that added to my cost. Take a look at the blog and pics in my sig. I've pretty much documented every step of the build. It's a big project however if you take your time and tackle one thing at a time you'll be ok.

z_speedfreak posted a link to the factory five website. That's the route I went. I went through and researched pretty much all the other companies out there before starting this. I went the FFR route cause I wanted to actually build my car the way I wanted it. Not to throw money at someone and say build it with their ideas in mind..

Tails

Good stuff, thanks...
Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
yeah http://www.factoryfive.com/index.html is top notch stuff! not sure how their prices compare to that shellvalley co but I've seen f5's factory and their products so I'd recomend them any day. I saw a german company online that was selling completed kits with big cube 1000hp engines but that was years ago and havnt been able to find them again since.

Thanks for the link... Interesting.....