LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anybody done their rear brake lines all the way from distribution block to caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody done their rear brake lines all the way from distribution block to caliper?

Looking at the kits, seems they're just for the rubber sections with the banjo bolt. I wanna go from the distribution block out to eliminate the hard line. Someone have a solution or do I need to disassemble and try to figure it out? Would like to put adapters in the calipers and distribution block and just run AN hose.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eliminate the hard line? With what, rubber all the way to the calipers? I have to run new lines since I replaced my rear, but I've yet to get around to that. I'm curious as to why you don't want the steel lines. They'd last longer than rubber, unless you rarely drive it and it doesn't see much of the elements.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I cant really see the point in doing that, most people would just make new hard lines if so inclined. But your right, most 5 line kits, replace the rubber lines, the four that run to the calipers and the one rubber line in the rear. We did that last weekend on my TA with a Kore3 5 line steel braided brake line kit.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I cant really see the point in doing that, most people would just make new hard lines if so inclined. But your right, most 5 line kits, replace the rubber lines, the four that run to the calipers and the one rubber line in the rear. We did that last weekend on my TA with a Kore3 5 line steel braided brake line kit.
What'd that kit run you? I still need 2 lines (only 1 got ordered) for the rear since I'm running LS1 rear now, but then again that'd cause a slight problem for the front since they're still LT1 brakes. Do they sell a 3 hose package?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Well my main reasoning was the original hard line is kinkier than heels in the bed. So I thought some SS braided hose would look nice and be friendlier. I figured this thread wouldn't get much traction so I removed the banjo bolts and the connection at the distribution block to figure something out. I wouldn't have a huge problem with bending new hard line but I really like the idea of a flexible hose in case it does need to bend or move.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Well my main reasoning was the original hard line is kinkier than heels in the bed. So I thought some SS braided hose would look nice and be friendlier. I figured this thread wouldn't get much traction so I removed the banjo bolts and the connection at the distribution block to figure something out. I wouldn't have a huge problem with bending new hard line but I really like the idea of a flexible hose in case it does need to bend or move.
Except that's why they have a flexible hose at the junction to the rear axle and at the calipers.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Blah, it was all kinked up and looked like hell. I'm not satisfied with the stock setup.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula350
What'd that kit run you? I still need 2 lines (only 1 got ordered) for the rear since I'm running LS1 rear now, but then again that'd cause a slight problem for the front since they're still LT1 brakes. Do they sell a 3 hose package?
X2 i want to redo my brake lines. or has anyone ever looked into relocating their abs unit? im trying to clean up my engine bay. i havent got around to the wiring yet but i wanna do all that and clear up the brake lines. and was thinking about relocating my ABS to were the air filter drops down in. and stealing someones idea on here and run my filter down the front of the radiator or coming up with the money to throw on a SS hood and all. (sorry to run off track with the thread but it all ties together i guess)
Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
X2 i want to redo my brake lines. or has anyone ever looked into relocating their abs unit? im trying to clean up my engine bay. i havent got around to the wiring yet but i wanna do all that and clear up the brake lines. and was thinking about relocating my ABS to were the air filter drops down in. and stealing someones idea on here and run my filter down the front of the radiator or coming up with the money to throw on a SS hood and all. (sorry to run off track with the thread but it all ties together i guess)
Any reason to keep the ABS? Deleting it out will save some weight and a headache in my opinion. I don't particularly care for the simplistic ABS in these cars.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

idk its my daily driver so idk hell to be honest im not even sure it works lol. but has anyone ever relocated theirs?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Most people just delete the abs, I have had cars with out it and air bags.

Originally Posted by Formula350
The kit was a 140$, you can source the lines from just about any sponsor that sells brake parts.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
idk its my daily driver so idk hell to be honest im not even sure it works lol. but has anyone ever relocated theirs?
My dad always said that ABS just insures what you're about to hit, you hit it head on. I'll take my chances on locking the brakes--at least it's all stopped rolling by this point.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

ive done thousands of brake lines just put the steel line all the way back, but leave the rubber hose on the rear so it will flex to remove the calipers when doing brake work because if you dont one day that line may snap due to flexing from the weight of the caliper.....or for cool factor you can a nice ss line there if youd like it wont hurt anything.

As for the abs its all preference do you want it or not,you dont need it all but it can and will help you out if you need to stop fast.....its all about is it a daily driver, are you a highway driver, city driver, drive like a jag..do you want them or not is just the main preference.....weight isnt really there like only a 10lb difference....
Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to be making custom brake lines pretty soon for my fab 9" since the stock lines don't really match up well. I would NOT recommend replacing the whole rear brake line with braided hose or rubber hose. Any type of flexible hose like that is prone to expanding under high brake pressure. So basically you could get a spongy brake pedal or never be able to achieve max brake pressure. Do all hard line on the rear axle but do stainless braided flex line for the small section to the calipers.
I've found a decently priced place called "inline tube" that sell straight 6ft long hard line. Just get two of those for each side of the distributor block and bend them.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dhdenney
My dad always said that ABS just insures what you're about to hit, you hit it head on. I'll take my chances on locking the brakes--at least it's all stopped rolling by this point.
And I'm sorry but that makes no sense. The whole point of ABS is to be able to turn and avoid an accident when your braking hard. A non-abs car under hard braking will lock the brakes and skid straight ahead, not being able to turn to avoid anything. Now I will agree a skilled driver in a non-abs car can stop the car sooner and turn the car better than an idiot behind the wheel of an ABS car. But as we know, there are a lot of idiots our there.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey im not an idiot. im no mario andretti but i can somehwat handle my own lol
Old 02-15-2009, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

When I installed my manual brake master cylinder, ran new lines through out the car with RJ Race Cars brake line kit. If you are converting to standard fittings and not the metric crap, this is the way to go.

http://www.quartermax.com/details.ph...e%20line%20kit

Jon
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ralls
Now I will agree a skilled driver in a non-abs car can stop the car sooner and turn the car better than an idiot behind the wheel of an ABS car. But as we know, there are a lot of idiots out there.
That's my line of thinking. The ABS comment was very dry humor.

Originally Posted by Ralls
I'm going to be making custom brake lines pretty soon for my fab 9" since the stock lines don't really match up well. I would NOT recommend replacing the whole rear brake line with braided hose or rubber hose. Any type of flexible hose like that is prone to expanding under high brake pressure. So basically you could get a spongy brake pedal or never be able to achieve max brake pressure. Do all hard line on the rear axle but do stainless braided flex line for the small section to the calipers.
I've found a decently priced place called "inline tube" that sell straight 6ft long hard line. Just get two of those for each side of the distributor block and bend them.
I should have been clearer and indicated I would be using the teflon hose. I don't think it's expanding much. And BTW, I mean distribution block at the rear end.

Last edited by dhdenney; 02-15-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by silver95
When I installed my manual brake master cylinder, ran new lines through out the car with RJ Race Cars brake line kit. If you are converting to standard fittings and not the metric crap, this is the way to go.

http://www.quartermax.com/details.ph...e%20line%20kit

Jon
I can do a standard flare fitting and get a standard distribution block but I didn't know about metric to standard on those banjo bolts. That's my main concern.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Well shortly after, I found these puppies http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...641431&FROM=MG. Some 90* fitting teflon hose like this http://store.summitracing.com/partde...039-24&FROM=MG will do the trick.

Quick Reply: Anybody done their rear brake lines all the way from distribution block to caliper?