Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need help selecting a camshaft and supporting modifications for my 08 LS3 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help selecting a camshaft and supporting modifications for my 08 LS3 Corvette

For those that have knowledge and first hand experience with replacing camshafts, especially on LS3 equipped vehicles, your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Below is a summary of my car and what is currently installed:

2008 LS3 MN6 Z51
Kooks 1 3/4 headers, catted 3 x 3 midpipe, Borla multi-core cat-back, Callaway Honker CAI, and a tune. The car put down 428 RWHP SAE and 417 RWTQ SAE on a dynojet WITH CALIFORNIA'S WONDERFUL 91 OCTANE FUEL.

I want to replace the cam, but need your assistance to come up with the best specifications for my needs. I do NOT track the car or autocross it. I mostly enjoy it during WOT runs in the highway from around 40 MPH on forward. I like to go well into the triple digits, and want to use the entire power band. I never really go from a dig, or dump the clutch.

This is my daily driver, and I am not willing to make ANY sacrifices in drivability. I want a cam that will not affect the reliability of the car or motor. I would like to have a 'sleeper" type of cam that would be friendly to a service department, if I need to take the car in. I do not want any more lope than what I currently have with the stock cam, no bucking, surging, or stalling, and want to be able to idle at around 750 - 800 RPM max (stock is 650 RPM). I do NOT want to sacrifice low-mid range TQ. I am basically looking for a cam that will provide gains throughout the ENTIRE power band. If FAST releases the new 102 manifold soon, I will also use it, when swapping the cam. I want to be able to fully use 6th gear, and be able to drive around at low RPM's (1.200 - 1.300) with no ill effects of the aftermarket camshaft. I would also like to be able to pass the sniffer smog in California. I also do not want to sacrifice my gas mileage.

Based on the above criteria, what type of cam would you all recommend? Am I dreaming with all of these requirements? Does such a "perfect" cam for my needs even exist? I want a cam that will provide enough of a gain to at least justify the cost of performing the swap. I am considering a Lingenfelter GT-11 or similar cam, since it has a stock-like idle behavior. How would a 224 - 232 .581/590 cam on a 115 LSA or 224/236 590/612 115 LSA behave?

I am most likely also going to get a set of CNC ported LS3 heads, and am leaning towards the ones offered by TEA.

PLEASE help, and guide me in the right direction, when selecting a cam. What lobes should I select? I will obviously use dual springs, pushrods, etc... With all of the timing chains failing lately, I will use the Katech C5-R chain, and will not use the ASP pullies, due to possible harmonics issues.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will probably end up with a custom grind cam, just my .02 - someone will chime in and tell you who the best are to talk to.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Teching In

I know that there are several proven grinds for the LS1 and LS2, but have not seen much posted for the LS3. I know that a little more exhaust duration is needed. I have ot put a lot of thought into this, becasue I want to do it right the first time around, especially becasue heads and cam is very labor intensive, and I want a bullet proof set-up, and not worry about the motor going south.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:05 PM
FormerVendor

If you want a sleeper cam that works well, drives like stock the go for a LPE GT-11. LPE has used them in the LS2 cars and it has worked great. I have used them in the LS2 cars in my shop and with headers and a ported heads, intake and TB, the LS2 cars come in at 440 to the wheels on my Mustang Dyno. You can expect about 470+ with the LPE package which consists of their ported heads, intake, headers and the cam. LPE claims 525 BHP or crank hp for their package and I have found them to be very close to their claims in the past.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tjwong
If you want a sleeper cam that works well, drives like stock the go for a LPE GT-11. LPE has used them in the LS2 cars and it has worked great. I have used them in the LS2 cars in my shop and with headers and a ported heads, intake and TB, the LS2 cars come in at 440 to the wheels on my Mustang Dyno. You can expect about 470+ with the LPE package which consists of their ported heads, intake, headers and the cam. LPE claims 525 BHP or crank hp for their package and I have found them to be very close to their claims in the past.
Mr. Wong, have you installed the Gt 11 on an LS3 Corvette? ALso, have you tried out the Lingenfelter CNC ported LS3 heads yet? It seems that the GT 11 is more for cars with stock manifolds, and not long tube headers? The only thing that concerns me with than cam is the huge lift. How long do the best valve springs last with mid-600 lift on the intake and exhaust? Below is my current list of modifications:

2008 LS3 MN6 Z51
Kooks 1 3/4 headers, catted 3 x 3 midpipe, Borla multi-core cat-back, Callaway Honker CAI, and a tune. The car put down 428 RWHP SAE and 417 RWTQ SAE on a dynojet WITH CALIFORNIA'S WONDERFUL 91 OCTANE FUEL.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS2 and LS3 are going to like totally different cams to work well. Do you intend to meet CA's emmissions after the cam? That's going to make a difference. You're not going to pass with LT's but they are a lot easier to change at emmissinos time than a cam.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WKMCD
The LS2 and LS3 are going to like totally different cams to work well. Do you intend to meet CA's emmissions after the cam? That's going to make a difference. You're not going to pass with LT's but they are a lot easier to change at emmissinos time than a cam.
I would like for the cam to pass the sniffer test. I know that the long tubes will not pass the visual, but will pass the sniffer with cats. It would be too much work to remove a cam to pass the sniffer test. The car is new, and I believe that it does not requre a smog check for seven years. I do not keep my cars too long though. Usually 1 - 2 years and then I sell them, but we will see how the market is at that time.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

I have a few specs in mind. Shoot me a pm and I'll help you out.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ragin Racin
Hi Shawn, yes please PM me with some ideas.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:48 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

You using some Crane profiles over at your shop Shawn?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

I use both. Comp and Crane. I have had crane make some proprietary lobes for us on some of our cams.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:59 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I use both. Comp and Crane. I have had crane make some proprietary lobes for us on some of our cams.
Cool. LSHS stuff I take it or little more aggresive?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM Sent
Old 02-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WKMCD
PM Sent
Thanks.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 PM
FormerVendor

PM Sent
Old 02-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Teching In

PM Sent
Thank you.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

With your car having nice long tube headers you won't need much benefit from much more than a 6 degree split in duration. You'll want an LSA of around 114-116. For an off the shelf type grind the Comp Cams XER273HR might be in the range of what you're looking for. It should drive very well if tuned right. It will peak hp at around 5900-6000 and carry well into 6400 or so before falling. The lift is under .600 so valve spring life should be within reason.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zippy
With your car having nice long tube headers you won't need much benefit from much more than a 6 degree split in duration. You'll want an LSA of around 114-116. For an off the shelf type grind the Comp Cams XER273HR might be in the range of what you're looking for. It should drive very well if tuned right. It will peak hp at around 5900-6000 and carry well into 6400 or so before falling. The lift is under .600 so valve spring life should be within reason.
What are the specs on the cam that you suggest? Wouldn't I be better off peaking a little higher in the RPM range, assuming that FAST releases their new LS3 manifold?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my cam and it's drivability characteristics too.

Comp LSL Lobe Cam 227/235 .61x/.62x 114 +2 NO HEAD WORK.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brasil
What are the specs on the cam that you suggest? Wouldn't I be better off peaking a little higher in the RPM range, assuming that FAST releases their new LS3 manifold?
With the fast on there you may pick up a few hundred rpm just from an increase in airflow alone. Keep in mind that as you raise peak hp up, your idle and low rpm torque will suffer. I wouldn't go over a 230 duration with the goals you have for the car. Bigger cams will drive fine, but you want a stock like idle and you aren't going to get that with a bigger cam.

Quick Reply: Need help selecting a camshaft and supporting modifications for my 08 LS3 Corvette