Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Are there any ported aftermarket LS3 heads that are worth upgrading to for an 08 LS3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any ported aftermarket LS3 heads that are worth upgrading to for an 08 LS3?

Hi, I have a 2008 Corvette LS3 MN6. I currently have Kooks 1 3/4 headers, catted 3 x 3 midpipe, Borla cat-back, and Callaway Honker CAI with a tune. The car put down 428 RWHP and 418 RWTQ SAE on a dyno jet.

When attempts were initially made to port the LS3 heads, most were only reporting around a 6 RWHP gain and even a loss in TQ in the midrange, but this was around a year ago. Recently, I have read several tuners and companies posting around 30 - 40 RWHP gains by porting the LS3 heads. Vengeance Racing and ECS posted a couple of threads with these results from TEA Stage 1 heads. Can anyone post other numbers and confirm this? If I add a cam, I want to be sure that having the heads ported will yield at least 30 - 40 RWHP and similar TQ numbers, in order to warrant the added cost of labor and porting service as well, since the initial posts about a year ago where not very promissing, and did not justify the cost, but other recent posts have me thinking and revisiting the possibility of getting my stock LS3 heads ported. I am looking for real gains, without taking into account milling the heads, and this would be used with a mild - moderate sized cam.

Last edited by Brasil; 02-14-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out April issue of GMHTP magazine. There is a full article on an 08 C6 LS3 using our Stage II LS3 Camshaft and adding WCCH Stage II LS3 Cylinder Heads. The C6 made 482rwhp with our camshaft and made 518rwhp with the addition of CNC WCCH Cylinder heads.

If we can help you out with either dont hesitate to give me a call.

Also, we have used quite a few sets of TEA Stage I Cylinder Heads and made 500+ everytime.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Check out April issue of GMHTP magazine. There is a full article on an 08 C6 LS3 using our Stage II LS3 Camshaft and adding WCCH Stage II LS3 Cylinder Heads. The C6 made 482rwhp with our camshaft and made 518rwhp with the addition of CNC WCCH Cylinder heads.

If we can help you out with either dont hesitate to give me a call.

Also, we have used quite a few sets of TEA Stage I Cylinder Heads and made 500+ everytime.
Ron, so are you now in favor of using the WCCH over the TEA's?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

They both work well. Both are priced about the same. Both seem to make relatively close horsepower. We work closely with TEA and WCCH. I dont think you could go wrong with either.

Give me a call if we can help you out.

BTW, the C6 that was modified in the article referenced above was completed by RedLine Motorsports.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Teching In

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this one. I think what Brasil is asking is; are there any aftermarket heads that would warrant a change from the LS3's that he has already? Meaning is a change to aftermarket heads an upgrade or is he better off sticking with the LS3's which can be ported and made even better than they already are?

I'm curious on this also.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
They both work well. Both are priced about the same. Both seem to make relatively close horsepower. We work closely with TEA and WCCH. I dont think you could go wrong with either.

Give me a call if we can help you out.

BTW, the C6 that was modified in the article referenced above was completed by RedLine Motorsports.
I think the porting technology has gotten better as well as camshaft profiles in the last 6-7 months. Ron's cam happens to be a nice match for these types of flow characteristics.

Ron, I think that article hasn't hit the newstand yet!! We got an early look!

Howard
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote WCCH.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I vote WCCH.
Why do you prefer them over the TEA's?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mdstitt
I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this one. I think what Brasil is asking is; are there any aftermarket heads that would warrant a change from the LS3's that he has already? Meaning is a change to aftermarket heads an upgrade or is he better off sticking with the LS3's which can be ported and made even better than they already are?

I'm curious on this also.
I think you need to re-read his post, Doesn't look like this is what he was asking and what he was asking got answered pretty darn good.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Brasil
Why do you prefer them over the TEA's?
I've run Richards heads on my 346 and now the 403. I must have spent several hours on the phone talking about the L92's. He's got a great track record.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

WCCH is the way to go
Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

What are the WCCH and TEA flow numbers as opposed to the unported LS3's? What are the stock 2008 Corvette LS3 heads equipped with in valves, springs, retainers and such? Is it possible to upgrade the stock LS3 heads to the LS7 titanium intake valves, springs, and retainers? How will the porting/aftermarket heads effect the low rpm tractibility? And lastly, GMPP produced LS7 stage 1-3 cams specifically for use with this type of head. Although the LS3/L92 heads flows VERY well, the intake outflows the exhaust by enough (apparently) to warrant a 233/276 degree @.050, 107 lsa stage 3 cam with about 42 degrees of overlap for them. Every time I ask about this cam anywhere, I get the stupid look or I get shined on. Somebody has GOT to know something about it, how it helps these heads breath (theory), and some kind of history or intended use.
Not trying to bogart the thread, but I think these questions support the OP and will clear up a LOT of the mystery.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by formula17
I think you need to re-read his post, Doesn't look like this is what he was asking and what he was asking got answered pretty darn good.
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the original post. Won't happen again!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned above stay tuned for the newest GM HiTech. Redline and Vengance combined to make a potent LS3 head and cam package. Nice work fellas.

A while back I posted a thread with stock L92 flow data. You can view it here: L92 flow data
We have ported flow data posted on our website here: WCCH ported flow data.
Our CNC program finishes the ports approximately 10cc larger than stock.

Feel free to call us with any questions.

Richard
Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

We have also had excellent luck with the factory casting. Our focus is similar to the other nice LS3's available - don't go crazy racing the bench. Making power is easy, it is the trade-off that we concern ourselves with

There is much we need to add to our website, but we do have some basic info up at present moment Here

If you have a local shop do the work, you should go with what they recommend and have experience with in most cases. LG, among others, is also one of the leaders in this arena & has had great results with the LS3 we cut. Being road racers they're well aware that trade-offs in throttle response, off idle drivability, and mid-rpm area under the curve often bring down the net end result. Louis' own C6 was used for testing a couple different top-end setups. In the end, they managed to come up with an excellent balance that not only achieved their power goals, but alleviated prior sacrifices elsewhere in the powerband.

This was the result without adjusting the tuning from the last head that was on the car. The probability is that inlet/manifold work & fine tuning would show some gains.

You are fortunate to have several good choices that will surely satisfy what you are after. Pick a shop with a good reputation, lay out your goals and budget, and allow them to put together what they know works. You will end up happy

Take Care,

-Phil
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok... stock LS3 to L92to LS7 parts interchangability issues? How about the titanium valves, springs, and retainers to lighten up the valvetrain for more reliable rpm potential? Would loading the bigger titanium valve in these heads induce shrouding issues? I have heard reports of L92 heads' valves breaking under only nominal loads because they are two piece designs. Are the LS3 valves, being the hollow performance pieces any more reliable from a performance perspective? Without joining the benchracing crowd, how much more flow can we induce with porting without hurting the characteristics (speed, continuity of cfm, swirl, etc.) of said flow?
Lastly, again, what is the deal with the LS7 stage3 cam and how does its design help the LS3/L92 flow balance situation? I'm aware that GM knew what they were doing in designing the LS3/L92 head. The rest of us out here in performance land need to know what they were doing in designing them in order to make educated decisions with our performance builds. Ergo, my questions.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Teching In

I spoke to Richard today at WCCH. His customer service is IMPECABLE. I sent an e-mail to WCCH, and Richard replied even on President's day, and was available for an INDEFINITE amount of time when I called him Today. In retrospect, I have e-mailed TEA since 02/09, and requested to get a response from Brian Tooley, and up to this date, no response to any of my e-mails.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 108dragon
Without joining the benchracing crowd, how much more flow can we induce with porting without hurting the characteristics (speed, continuity of cfm, swirl, etc.) of said flow?
This is the reason why I have stock, milled heads on my car. And per my builder I have a close split cam (contrary to the experts opinions) with stock valves which is according to his theory suppose to reduce shrouding.

I am very happy with my results.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Teching In

I left a voice mail at TEA yesterday, and still have not received either a return call or e-mails from 02/09 and a few thereafter, so I am loosing hope in hearing back from TEA all together.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Brasil
I spoke to Richard today at WCCH. His customer service is IMPECABLE. I sent an e-mail to WCCH, and Richard replied even on President's day, and was available for an INDEFINITE amount of time when I called him Today. In retrospect, I have e-mailed TEA since 02/09, and requested to get a response from Brian Tooley, and up to this date, no response to any of my e-mails.
Now, I'm not the kind of guy so say "I told you so" but......

I told you so.

Quick Reply: Are there any ported aftermarket LS3 heads that are worth upgrading to for an 08 LS3?