LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bad HG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad HG?

hey guys, I was wondering if you could check my diagnoses for me before I start tearing into things here. I fired up my Z today and it started pretty weird. it took a few cranks which is unusual and then it caught so I released the key and it died right out for a split sec and then fired back up on its own and idled fine w/ the exception of my exhaust leaks. when I went to check the oil after letting it warm up I had some white goo in my filler neck along with a bunch of codensation on the sides and the back side of my oil cap has a bunch of yellow gunk on it. I looked into the valve cover and it looked spotless but I havn't popped one off to see the backside of the covers.
so im figuring its a head gasket(s), does that sound about right? I've got a pair of slightly worked heads w/ 918's & new retainers I was going to install early this spring when I have some spare $ to get a cam, RR's, PR's, ewp, timming chain & LPP's but might aswell throw the heads on now if thats the case. one thing I wonder tho, I run the green coolant along with RP oil which is -or was pretty fresh and was still purple-ish when I took it off the road so the colors im seeing is confusing me a bit.
also does anyone have the PN for the coolant cross over tube gasket? its the only thing im missing besides for new valve cover gaskets(but those are ez enough to find)to do the job.

Last edited by z_speedfreak; 02-14-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long was it sitting? You can get condensation inside the filler neck like that if the car sits for a while.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

its been off the road since november but I run it every now and then. the yellow has to be from the coolant although I dont understand why its so yellow w/ the green coolant & purple oil..could the white goo just be from the codensation mixing with the oil?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

what state do you live in?

if you live in a cold climate and dont run your engine a lot then that condensation will build up on the oil filler neck and probably on the top side of the valve cover if you were to take them off. does the oil look milky on the dipstick?

i get the same crap on mine every winter and i know i dont have a bad HG
Old 02-14-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
could the white goo just be from the condensation mixing with the oil?
yes. I work in the field and i see cars all the time with average mileage (like 3000 in 6-9 months), they always have condensation in the filler neck and all around the cap.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

I live in mass and I think this is the 3rd time I've ran it this winter. the oil looks normal in the dipstick. but I've had this car since '04 and this is the first time this gunk has appeared.. I guess theres no rush then if its normal tho so I'll hold off til spring. thanks guys
Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

I am also in the field and if you every look at a VW 2.0 or 1.8 you will see that goo. They actually recommend synthetic now for that reason. If you run your engine only till it gets some heat you will cause the oil to condinsate. If your coolant doesn't need to be added to your good. I think your just looking for a reason to slap those heads on
Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

lol yeah im pretty horny to turn some wrenches especially since im letting a buddy put together a 3rd gen project in my other bay. I've been lending a hand but it just aint the same as working on your own. if only I had some more mula..

Quick Reply: bad HG?