Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken rev 1116

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken rev 1116

well, after only 4000 miles i broke a valve spring. my rev limit is set at 6600 as well. it's not like i reved to the moon with them. i was affraid it was going to happen since other people had been breaking them too. i was cruising down the highway at 2000rpms about 50 miles from home when my ses light started flashing and it started sputtering. my heart jumped. i got it towed all the way home, pulled the valve covers and the intake valvespring on the #2 cylinder is toast. luckily the inner spring did it's job and held up the valve.

now i've got to decide on some other sort of spring. i'm not going to buy another set of the rev's. 4000 miles and i've only been to the track twice. that dosn't impress me to much. it's just to bad i jumped on their bandwaggon when they first came out and spent over $300 on all of it. i'm thinking about going with just some cc918's because they seem like good springs and i could use my factory retainers which would save some $$$. i just hate the fact that if you break one your hosed (which i'll be paranoid about all the time now). the new cranes also sound tempting, but last time i jumped on the new sping bandwaggon i got these so i'm a little scared to be the guinny pig again. spending $350 for another spring like this one would not make me the happiest customer. maybe i'll look into the combination motorsports springs. i've heard some good things about those too.

anyway, i'm not real happy as i have to buy and change an entire set of valve springs. worst part is that i don't have $400 i can spend right now on springs. maybe thunder will hook me up with some sort of discount since i've bought a bunch of stuff from them and these didn't last but about 3 months. not to mention i now have 16 titanium paper weights.

"don't cry for me, i'm allready dead."
-barney gumble
Old 10-11-2003, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: broken rev 1116

I'm on the new crane bandwagon There's plenty of room, climb aboard
Old 10-11-2003, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately I can't find the link but Combination Motorsports cmotorsports.com was selling a new extreme performance single spring EX616 and retainer kit EX122 for a very good price (a lot less than $400) in the sponsor section awhile back. Supposed to be fine up to .620 lift or more. They're apparently using this spring with really big cams (ex. 234/238 .608/.608) with apparently no problems at all. Sounded like a good deal to me. I think they are a sponsor but I don't see the link on the right---->

The new Crane duals sound good also as was previously mentioned. If you don't want to run a dual spring, or have your heads machined check out those CM springs.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:20 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that sucks . im running the rev duals too, ever since my cam install my **** has been fucked up, its WAY out of tune and the SES light was flashing yesterday and it was stumbling bad. i dont think its a brooken spring though as i only put less then 2 miles on them and before they only had about 2k miles on them. havent pulled the valve covers yet though to check.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

I broke 3 Rev dual springs out of 1 set and the shop I got them from warrantied them out for me, they have had 3 revisions since the origionals that I had and the new springs are chrome lookin now... so far so good! (crosses fingers!)
Old 10-13-2003, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

hmmm, i didn't realize that they had made revisions to the springs. i liked the springs, i mean, i didn't get any valve float and the inside spring did it's job and saved my motor. then i wouldn't have to buy new retainers and seats. has anyone else heard if they have made revisions to the springs?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

....I have them too ...so far, no issues...this blows...

If I were you, I would request a new set....only problem is swapping them out in the car - PITA! I had a handful changing them with the heads off....since they a stout springs - I don't envey you if you need to swap them with the heads on......

WHAT CAM ARE YOU USING; what ?

Me = 220/220, 564/564, 112LSA
Old 10-13-2003, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"REV sucks! Don't buy anything they ever make. Their quality control is horrible! I can't believe they still put out these springs. How can they sleep at night

Oh, sorry fellas. That was the robertbartsch voice in my head casting condemnation on any spring manufacturer that breaks a spring. I apologize for the outburst.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Kit,
When I was thinking about running that cam I had talked to Jason at Thunder. He recommended the 918's. That is what I'm running with my TSP 231/237
Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im buying some new heads and decided to go w/ some manleys w/ tit. retainers.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Cannonball:
I think you should ask Pro Stock to post a general notice at the head of this forum that warns people about the defective REV springs....

...you, know, like John did for the people who own 918s....this was done, by the way, weeks before I posted my view on their lack of quality control...

...then we we will castigate you for any harsh comments that represent your informed opinion....

...then we will ask PSJ to post a message saying we all love these springs and you are the only one who hates them ...
Old 10-13-2003, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, looks like the rev's suck now, bet a buncha G5X-2 ppl are going to be hurting...

this was sarcastic
same **** we heard with the CC's

Someone needs to make a strong spring and some lighter valves, that should solve the problems.
-Steve
Old 10-13-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cannonball
It's Cannibal.

...then we we will castigate
Don't you mean, "castrate"?

Either way it doesn't matter as I was being facetious. There have been just as many REV's break than CC 918s, IMO. Consumers need to do research before they buy or it'll bite em' in the ***. Also, ya'll must realize that when you get greedy with cam lobes/profiles, you need an adequate spring. Instead of doing the easy drop-in route take off your heads and have them machined for Isky 6205s or the like and have a near zero chance of breaking them.

What I know now if I were to get another LS1 to start on when I would do a cam I'd pull the heads and have them setup with Iskys 6205s or CC 987s without question. The extra expense is FAR worth it in comparison the drop-in solutions.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:50 PM
FormerVendor

For what it is worth, I believe most of the 1116 failures as well as the Comp 26918 failures were on cam only vehicles with XE-R or similar (.585-.610" lift) lobes and the installed hieghts are rarely checked. The factory installed heights can vary as much as .050" and make a huge difference in relation to coil bind. Not to blame folks installing their own cams, though installed heights with the more aggressive lobes should always be checked. Several vendors sell these cam packages as a drop in for the most part and most cunsumers assume there will not be an issue and not need to be checked. This is not to bash vendors or consumers but to try to get folks to investigate what really happened before blaming the manufacturer. I have used 1116's for almost 2 years without a failure on all of my XE-R lobed big motors and some have 30,000 miles on them. Just my .02

Mike
Old 10-14-2003, 01:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should ask the cam maker what springs they recommend...usually the most common problem is that springs break because people buy what they think is the right spring...not what rally is the right spring...recommended by the manufacturer...
many things make this descision...lift..lobe type...lobe profile....you gotta remember...just because it says it will handle a .625 lift...doesnt mean it will handle an agressive ramp rate....
dont blame the spring...it may not truely be the right spring for the job...
whoever grinds the cam for TR...call them and find out what they really recommend for that cam...might not be the 1116???
Old 10-14-2003, 01:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

and also .....
heres this food for thought

Valve Spring Rate
R = (OL - CL) ./. (IH - OH)
R = valve spring rate
OL = open load
CL = closed load
IH = installed height (closed height)
OH = Open height
Old 10-14-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

well, i called up thunder and they said to use the 918's. they seem like really good springs and the lightweight beehive design seems real nice as well. i told them i was worried that if one of the 918's broke that it would drop a valve. they said that since the bad batch (even then they only had one break) that they have not had on single 918 failure. i guess i'm gonna go that route.

i also found out that rev has started making their springs out of a new material just recently so maybe they are better now. who knows. i'm just gonna go with what they recomend. they have seen a lot more of these cams than i have. thanks for all the input guys.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

...my only observation on asking the cam manufacturor to recommend a spring is that if you purchase a Comp cam and ask them to recommend a spring, chances are they won't recommend a Lunati, REV or Crane spring; right?

...same thing with sponsors who recommend a certain part; they may have a bunch of inventory that they would like to sell, so they have a vested interest in their recommendation....

...most sponsors are really great people who recommend parts that work well together....just take their recommendations with a grain of salt...
Old 10-14-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

...same thing with sponsors who recommend a certain part; they may have a bunch of inventory that they would like to sell, so they have a vested interest in their recommendation....

...most sponsors are really great people who recommend parts that work well together....just take their recommendations with a grain of salt...
Most sponsors wouldn't last long if they recommended everyone just the parts they sell that didn't work. Most sponsors carry the things that work and will recommend them to you b/c they work.

If we are to take everything a sponsor says with a "grain of salt" then what's the point of having vendors/sponsors? Who are we supposed to consult for advice on component selections, etc? Who are we supposed to watch for R&D, etc?

If this is your rationale then just call the manufacturers and see if they recommend you anything but their own products. Hence if you order a Comp Cam you'd better believe Comp Cam is gonna recommend you a Comp Cam spring, duh. And if you have ever spoken with a Comp Cam "camshaft technician" you'll quickly realize they know next to nothing most of the time.

Most of the sponsors on this board are proven and are very knowledgeable. We rely on them for advice and a somewhat non-biased opinion on combos that work. Without them the aftermarket world would get nowhere.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Agreed!