LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Throttle Body Selection Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Throttle Body Selection Question?

I have 93 LT1 Formula 6-speed, and i'm looking for the right throttle body.
I'm pretty set on getting the BBK Throttle Body.

My question is, would it be worth it to go with the 58mm TB on the stock manifold or is that too much TB for that manifold without porting.

I dont have the money for porting right now and I dont know if the 58mm TB will function correctly.

The problem is I dont wanna go with the 52mm and waste money if I could go with the 58mm
Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I have 93 LT1 Formula 6-speed, and i'm looking for the right throttle body.
I'm pretty set on getting the BBK Throttle Body.

My question is, would it be worth it to go with the 58mm TB on the stock manifold or is that too much TB for that manifold without porting.

I dont have the money for porting right now and I dont know if the 58mm TB will function correctly.

The problem is I dont wanna go with the 52mm and waste money if I could go with the 58mm
What are your current mods. I would NOT get a bigger TB until you have a:
CAI
Headers
full exhaust
1.6 rr's.

When the time comes for a TB, the intake opening is a 52/54mm (I've heard of both) but a 58 would be too large. Personally, I think a 58mm TB is overkill until you have heads and a large cam. I put a 52mm TB on my cam-only build, but it was more than likely, unnecessary.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll have to enlarge the TB holes in the manifold for a 58 (while they are larger than the stock TB they are smaller than 58mm. 54?)

But its not a show stopper its pretty easy to enlarge the holes
Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odds are, unless you are working on a pretty radical set up, you're wasting money on any throttle body. My car came with a 58 mm throttle body. I sold and went to a stock one and used the money toward going faster. I lost nothing in the 1/4 by going back to the stock throttle body.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
Odds are, unless you are working on a pretty radical set up, you're wasting money on any throttle body. My car came with a 58 mm throttle body. I sold and went to a stock one and used the money toward going faster. I lost nothing in the 1/4 by going back to the stock throttle body.

Yeah I guess that does make sense, especially because my car is stock yet, I guess whats the point of spending $400 on 10 more mm's of air when I dont have the cam or other bolts on to support it.

I just ordered a Suncoast Creations Predator hood and Ram air box, that should be plenty of air.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah I guess that does make sense, especially because my car is stock yet, I guess whats the point of spending $400 on 10 more mm's of air when I dont have the cam or other bolts on to support it.

I just ordered a Suncoast Creations Predator hood and Ram air box, that should be plenty of air.
Good, intake is key. Next is headers!

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Selection Question?