LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car starts.....for 8 seconds.....multiple times

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car starts.....for 8 seconds.....multiple times

The title says it all. Car will start, run for 8 seconds, then die. It doesn't sputter, just dies. All connections are fine. Battery and alternator are good. Fuel pump primes and at least delivers for 8 seconds oil pressure is good. New vacuum lines from intake manifold to fuel pressure regulator. So......what do I do?

No codes either....

In between starts it needs to sit for about 30 seconds.....don't know if that matters, but it won't start immediately after it dies. Smells like its running rich too.....
Old 02-15-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Something sounds like it is heating up. Something electrical. Possibly the icm connected to the driverside cylinder head. I know they have issues sometimes, but never after 8 seconds, that is just really quick.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vatts!!!!!! my car did that exact same thing when i did the swap for me it was the security panel thing whatever by the pass side airbag you have to take it apart and put a new board in. thats what i did atleast. i hope thats not your problem though. lol. but i would look into the security system
Old 02-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
vatts!!!!!! my car did that exact same thing when i did the swap for me it was the security panel thing whatever by the pass side airbag you have to take it apart and put a new board in. thats what i did atleast. i hope thats not your problem though. lol. but i would look into the security system
I thought VATS wouldn't even let the car start if there was a security issue......if that is not the case, I'll just bypass VATS.....selling the car anyway.....
Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joelster
Something sounds like it is heating up. Something electrical. Possibly the icm connected to the driverside cylinder head. I know they have issues sometimes, but never after 8 seconds, that is just really quick.
Over and over again? I can start it as many times as I want, but it only stays started 8 seconds each time.....doesn't seem like electrical to me.....are you sure?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sure sounds like vats to me also but there has never been any codes since this happen or just none right now?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by herronz28
Over and over again? I can start it as many times as I want, but it only stays started 8 seconds each time.....doesn't seem like electrical to me.....are you sure?
No i'm not sure, lol. When current passes through aything electrical it heats up. When it gets too hot poof it shuts off. After it shuts off it cools right back down, hence why it may start again after 30 seconds or so. It's not the vats though, no way. The car would not turn over at all, and the security light would come on if that were the case.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by herronz28
Thats what the car i got did when it had a bad FPR It was getting fuel in the vacuum line.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Unplug your fpr and run it.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Check the coolant temp sensor in the water pump. Only other thing I can think of is the PCM. I had a bad flash once that caused that. The 8 seconds was the time it took for the fuel pressure to bleed down after priming. I could start the car but the PCM did not engage the fuel pump relay but it had enough info to prime it.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Just thought of this too. Over by the PCM, there is a connector that comes out of the harness not plugged into anything. It is a single wire. Apply 12V+ to that wire. That will turn on the fuel pump and keep it on. Start the car and see if it dies.