Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

popping and whining noises?

Old 02-15-2009, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping and whining noises?

I have a question about something that's really been bugging me lately. I have an alpine face unit going to an aftermarket amp going to upgraded speakers. Whenever I turn the cd player off, the amp stays on and makes loud squealing noises, and makes a very loud pop whenever the cd player is turned back on. The remote wire is hooked up right, the amp cuts off if i unplug it so it's not a problem with the amp. The cd player has done this since the day I installed it. People have told me to check the ground and it seems good. A guy at Car Toys said it has something to do with the old monsoon system and that i need a relay to "delay the signal to turn the amp on". What is going on?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Well, the guy a Car Toys appears to be brain dead. From your description, you have completely replaced the Monsoon system with your own HU, amp, and speakers so how could it be affecting anything? Besides, the Monsoon amp uses signal sensing to turn on so it doesn't suffer from that noise problem like some other factory amplified systems (notably Bose).

It sounds like you have the remote turn-on lead for your amp connected to a constant (battery) power source so that the amp is on even when the HU isn't. Check that the amp turn-on is connected to the blue with white wire from the Alpine HU.

Search this Thread