LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speaking of carb manifolds for LT4's...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:52 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speaking of carb manifolds for LT4's...

Does anyone have an LT4 Carb intake manifold I can borrow (rent) or buy for a reasonable price?

The backstory is that my engine builder insists on putting the new motor on the dyno before it leaves his shop. I understand and respect his desire to make sure the motor is 100% good to go at delivery. However, he mostly works on "old school" carbed motors, not fuel injected ones and his dyno cell is not set up for a late model motor with PCM and FI, etc. He is going to provide the carb and distributor, etc. for the dyno session but does not have an LT4 carb intake laying around.

I am going to need a carb manifold for the dyno session only, so I'd rather not buy a new one at full price.

I'd pay shipping both ways and a reasonable "rental fee" is someone wants to help me out.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry but that's just retarded...

If you have a decent builder, his word should be good enough. Is he testing how much power it's going to put down? Or does he want to make sure it runs? It's not going to make any sense to go through the hassle of doing all of that. Not to mention, I doubt you'll find someone willing to let you borrow their manifold.

JMHO. Calling it as I see it.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I'm sorry but that's just retarded...

JMHO. Calling it as I see it.
I don't think it sounds retarded sounds like his builder wants to go the extra step.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Launching!

when the extra step include's swapping the intake manifold and adapting the engine to old tech. just so he can test it is alittle crazy. Seems to me it would be less work to put it back in the car and test it lol.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you figure it would be less work? There is no intake manifold on it at this point it time by the sounds of it. All he has to do is get a set of gaskets and bolt it on.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

I dynoed my motor before I took it home. Its time and money well spent. If all you need is a manifold, do it. I’m sure your engine builder has a carb and distributor laying around for you to use. My engine builder didn’t have a GM EFI set up in his dyno cell, so we just set it up with a carb for the day. I purchased the GMPP dual plane intake for LT4's, he supplied the carb, distributor, and everything else to run it in on the dyno. We got it to fire it up right away, let it run for 20 minutes. Drained the oil, cut open the oil filter and inspected the filter media inside. The fresh oil and filter installed, and made some pulls to seat the rings. It was really great to know while installing the motor in my car that all of that had been done, and I didn’t have to worry about it once the car was all together. I knew it was going to run good and not leak. No worries about priming the engine before start up, hoping it fired right away before all of the assembly lube was in the pan, well you get the point. Also, if anything goes wrong on the dyno, or something needs to be fixed, you can hold you engine builder responsible for making it right. I say go for it, you will be glad you did.

Nick
Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

LT4 carb manifold is p/n 24502574.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drill a factory intake to work with our heads. Don't think you'll need to do the water jacket BS since it's not going to be running TOO long, then agian I Don't know if you have to monkey with the water jacket either way. I'm sure you can find a stocker on Craigslist for probably $10-20.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:14 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses guys.

Just a few points of clarification:

1. Ramair95, I understand where you are coming from. In the past I have had motors built and the first time they were fired were after we dropped them in my car. However, my builder wants he and I to be standing side by side watching the first fire, ring seating, and a few preliminary pulls. That way, there is little doubt to the initial health of the motor for BOTH of us. If a problem is detected, it will be a hell of a lot easier to resolve than if we wait to discover it after I have spent a half-day installing it in my car (and another half day tearing the car back apart and taking the motor back if something isn't right - God forbid). I agree with his reasoning even though his lack of EFI dyno capability means extra cost for me.

2. Yeah, motor has not been assembled yet. We are not pulling the LT4 EFI manifold off to put a carb version on. The carb version will be installed initially and then pulled off after the dyno session and my EFI manifold will be torqued down.

3. NJLT1SS, yes, yes and yes. Almost exact same situation and thought process.

4. Yeah, I figured most likely I am going to have to buy my own LT4 Carb manifold and then sell it for a loss after using it a few hours. Just thought I would throw this thread out there in case someone had one "for rent". I will probably also post in the parts wanted section to see if I can snag a used one... but there aren't too many LTX motors running around with carbs... some, but not enough for me to count on finding one.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TWS
Thanks for the responses guys.

Just a few points of clarification:

1. Ramair95, I understand where you are coming from. In the past I have had motors built and the first time they were fired were after we dropped them in my car. However, my builder wants he and I to be standing side by side watching the first fire, ring seating, and a few preliminary pulls. That way, there is little doubt to the initial health of the motor for BOTH of us. If a problem is detected, it will be a hell of a lot easier to resolve than if we wait to discover it after I have spent a half-day installing it in my car (and another half day tearing the car back apart and taking the motor back if something isn't right - God forbid). I agree with his reasoning even though his lack of EFI dyno capability means extra cost for me.
I've never had an engine dynoed at a shop before, but I can't imagine the cost being chump change. If cost wasn't a factor then yeah, I can see the reasoning. Sorry for the harsh reply - didn't mean to come off like that.

Quick Reply: Speaking of carb manifolds for LT4's...