Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

no headlight bulb, wtf

Old 02-15-2009, 10:58 PM
01z
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no headlight bulb, wtf

at the risk of sounding like a complete retard, where is the bulb??? one of my low beams is out so i pop the hood so i can see what kind of bulb is in there to buy a replacement and to my surprise its just 2 little prongs you put a connector on. do i need to completely dissasembol these things just to put a new bulb in???
Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01z
at the risk of sounding like a complete retard, where is the bulb??? one of my low beams is out so i pop the hood so i can see what kind of bulb is in there to buy a replacement and to my surprise its just 2 little prongs you put a connector on. do i need to completely dissasembol these things just to put a new bulb in???
Yes they are sealed beams so the whole glass and everything comes out and gets changed. You need to take it out through the front you need to pop up the headlights.. I havent done it in so long or I would give you a better answer sorry...
Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 PM
01z
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Yes they are sealed beams so the whole glass and everything comes out and gets changed. You need to take it out through the front you need to pop up the headlights.. I havent done it in so long or I would give you a better answer sorry...
ok thnx man thats all i needed to know. just when i looked in there i was like WTF lol. guess i have something to do 2maro.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

The 1998-2002 Firebird headlights are sealed beams.
Low Beam: 4703
High Beam: 4701

To change the headlights:
* Open hood (I don't remember if this step is required or not, but it makes it easier to get to the inner screw on the shrouds)
* Turn the headlight switch all the way to the right to open the headlight doors, then turn the **** back left one notch. The headlights will stay up but will be off.
* There are three screws holding the plastic shroud around the headlights (Left, Top-Center, Right)
* Each headlight is held in by a metal trim ring secured by four Torx screws (T15, I think). When removing these screws, hold onto the headlight because it will slide out. You don't have to remove all four screws completely. Unscrew the top two half way and remove the bottom two completely. This way, you can tilt out the trim ring to remove the bulb and save time.
* With the trim ring removed, pull the bulb forward and disconnect it from the harness.
* Reverse the process to reinstall the new headlight.
* Check/adjust the aim of the headlights using the adjustment screws. There are two adjustment screws per bulb. One is on the top and the other is on the left-or-right of each sealed beam. You'll see notches in the shroud which allow access for adjustment while they are still attached.

Last edited by VIP1; 02-17-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Not to hijack but I went to change one of my highbeam bulbs last night, I had no problem getting to it, but when taking one of the screws out my buddy gave it a little too much force and striped it out. ****. no we have no way of getting it out, we tried pliers, needlenose, using a bigger screwdriver, etc. Any ideas?

Search this Thread