Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock Stereo Controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Stereo Controls

I'll be replacing the stereo in the TA soon enough, but in the meantime I'll be using the stock unit.

Which of the buttons do I slide/mess with to adjust the Bass & Treble?
(2000, Trans Am)

Image courtesy of Google:

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 02-16-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: "Image couresty of Google"
Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

im sure it will be the low`s
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our radios have a full equalizer on them. this means you can control different parts of highs/lows to suit your needs.

moving the left up makes more lows, right side is highs. middle is mids and so on.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

My initial response was to chuckle at this question but then I realized there must be plenty of people who haven't used graphic equalizers before.

As pointed out above, the seven sliders on your radio are the graphic equalizer - basically just a fancy tone control. Each slider allows you to increase or decrease the volume of the sound in that particular frequency range. It is called "graphic" because the positions of the sliders form a line graph of the frequency response. The sliders on the left side affect the low (bass) frequencies, the middle sliders affect the midrange, and the right side affect high (treble) frequencies. So, your photo shows lows and highs "boosted" (increased) with "flat" midrange (neither boosted nor cut). This is basically what a "loudness" control would do - boost the high and low frequencies because they aren't as audible at low volume settings.

Here is a good tutorial on equalization with a chart of what sounds fall into which frequency ranges: http://www.dak.com/reviews/Tutorial_frequencies.cfm.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll check it out.