Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Ca Turbo guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ca Turbo guys

How do we keep them legal guys? Whats with the CARB stuff, what all is required? Im having a tough time getting info!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Teching In

I've heard that aftermarket blowers are a big no, no in Ca

you could always move out to texas lol

I'm lucky enough to have my cars registered in a non-emissions county
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
9 Second Club

to pull it off you are going to have to cheat if you know what i mean
im from MI so i run MI plates to get around most of it
Old 02-16-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want a front mount turbo you are pretty much screwed unless you have a connection with someone that will overlook the visual. You will fail the visual because of moving the stock location of the cats, its the same reason all the guys with longtubes fail.

Now, you could get a rear mount turbo. I think STS said they were going to have a CARB number for their set up, but their build quality has been suspect. Although a lot of guys like them. You could look into a company called texas rear turbos (a sponsor here), they seem to have really good packages and I've heard good things about them. I believe they use the STS turbos and put the supporting hardware together in a package themselves.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

CHEAT Thats part of having a turbo car in communist CA.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
CHEAT Thats part of having a turbo car in communist CA.
Yeah, I don't see the issue with relocating the stock cat position. As long as you pass the sniffer, who cares?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
Yeah, I don't see the issue with relocating the stock cat position. As long as you pass the sniffer, who cares?
Ca sucks when it comes to emission laws, now you can't even purchase an hi-flo cat in cali no more. You have to purchase special CA approved cats that cost $500
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Ca sucks when it comes to emission laws, now you can't even purchase an hi-flo cat in cali no more. You have to purchase special CA approved cats that cost $500
Yeah, thats bogus. It has to be OBD-II compliant, even though the non-OBD-II ones work just as good.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am planning on a STS. I would rather do front mount though. If i could do everything but the visual, it will work. There is this really weird older guy who professional build viper race cars. Well, hes a homosexual and he likes me so he never completes the visual lol. Weirds me out but i have long tubes etc for a long time. I should just go ask him what i have to do. After all, his vipers have twin turbos but then again they're legally off road race cars. But he'll pass my car as long as the sniffer works but i dont know if he needs the carb number. STS provides them though
Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I am planning on a STS. I would rather do front mount though. If i could do everything but the visual, it will work. There is this really weird older guy who professional build viper race cars. Well, hes a homosexual and he likes me so he never completes the visual lol. Weirds me out but i have long tubes etc for a long time. I should just go ask him what i have to do. After all, his vipers have twin turbos but then again they're legally off road race cars. But he'll pass my car as long as the sniffer works but i dont know if he needs the carb number. STS provides them though
Show him a little skin and get your front mount turbo past the visual.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Cheat, my friend is driving around in a turbo m3 boosting around 20lbs. Just know someone that will sign you off.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

LMAO my freind said to go in there and dump oil on myself and shake my head in slow motion.

Originally Posted by camarosam22
Cheat, my friend is driving around in a turbo m3 boosting around 20lbs. Just know someone that will sign you off.
IM not opposed, but by cheat what do you mean? Just get someone to sign it without looking? Cause dmv uses that electronic way now, right? The machine goes in the tailpipe and automatically send the info to dmv? Or do you mean tell the machine it my car, then have the guy stick the machine in my KIA? lol
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by evilZO6
LMAO my freind said to go in there and dump oil on myself and shake my head in slow motion.

IM not opposed, but by cheat what do you mean? Just get someone to sign it without looking? Cause dmv uses that electronic way now, right? The machine goes in the tailpipe and automatically send the info to dmv? Or do you mean tell the machine it my car, then have the guy stick the machine in my KIA? lol
My buddy has a friend that owns a smog place. I dont know exactly how he does it but i think he has records saved of what a stock m3 would smog, then just writes it off to him. I know this guy does it for several people. "Or do you mean tell the machine it my car, then have the guy stick the machine in my KIA?". Thats another way that they do it. My cadillac wouldnt smog, so I took it to him and he said it passed, haha. I dont know what he does, ill talk to my friend about it.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarosam22
My buddy has a friend that owns a smog place. I dont know exactly how he does it but i think he has records saved of what a stock m3 would smog, then just writes it off to him. I know this guy does it for several people. "Or do you mean tell the machine it my car, then have the guy stick the machine in my KIA?". Thats another way that they do it. My cadillac wouldnt smog, so I took it to him and he said it passed, haha. I dont know what he does, ill talk to my friend about it.
I'd keep some of this stuff on the DL. Cops are known to frequent these boards.........
Old 02-17-2009, 12:33 AM
9 Second Club

i f---ing hate cops that do that ****
we had that happen to us a one meet cops knew when we got on the highway and off
but sorry off track here
yes keep this stuff on the DL for sure bro
Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Launching!

I'd keep some of this stuff on the DL. Cops are known to frequent these boards.........
I know, thats why Im not releasing any names or info, just my 2 cents.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could pm me names etc if your close! Where is glendale? SOCAL? im due for a visit there anyway!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hmm, someone must know what the OP looks like.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so i spent some time on Google last night. Basically i think as long as you have a CARB number, everything is taken care of. The CARB number itself is a certificate saying the Aftermarket emissions altering part in question has been thoroughly tested in an approved location and has met or exceeded ca emissions laws. So im wondering if its only legal to buy a turbo from the manufactureer and bolt it up, or buy a used one but dont alter it. I am looking at one that has an intercooler added to it. Oh well i think it will all work out now. Even in the next year when i upgrade the turbo, garrett provides CARBS so im thinking CARB approved turbo plus CARB aaproved turbo system equals approved street legal kit.

****, im going to the smog station to ask that guy.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah CARB is always good.

As far as firendly shops.... I have been hearing about the po po frequenting boards... So lets just keep it to ourselves or if you know the person.. We don't want to lose our good stuff because some tree huggers don't understand how performance engines work.

Quick Reply: Ca Turbo guys