Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Cylinder Misfire with a Twist

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random Cylinder Misfire with a Twist

Situation: I have an 01 t/a h/c, and my car throws the random cylinder misfire code weekly.

Twist: My car only throws the code when Im at the beach...yes at the beach. I live at the outer banks monday morning through friday afternoon. And like clock work, my car tuedsay morning will throw the same "random cylinder misfire code", and not until friday when i drive home will it go away. The light will usually go off either as soon as I hit my home town (about 3 hrs away from the beach), or a day after.

Other facts: The car started throwing the code when it started getting cold outside (novemberish), so I assumed it was just tempermental with the weather. Problem, the whole month of december I was back at home with temps in the high 20's, and NO CODE. But as soon as I hit the outerbanks, BAM, random cylinder misfire code.

No matter how long you let the car warm up before driving, when Im at the beach the code comes on either 30 secs or so after startup, or while im driving down the road.

I do know that it is more sensitive to the cold weather. Now that it is getting warmer, it takes longer, but still the code still comes up, within a day of being at the beach.

Could it be from the moisture in the air, since im at the beach...or is my car just home sick?

btw....I am the same guy who's LT1 would only crank every 24 hrs, yep, every 24. You could crank it and it would run like a champ for as long as you want, but if you turned it off it would not crank until 24 hrs later. Not 12, 18, or 20. only 24 hrs or longer...come to find out it was a bad coil....yep bad coil...not CPU or opti...

so with that said, please help...I have the worst electrical gremlins ever

thanks,

Pride
Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Wow. I can't offer you any assistance as I don't know much about LS motors, but that is some weird **** right there. Good luck with it.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a tune issue most likely...... there are some idle misfire tables that need to be altered with a camshaft car, i bet they havent been altered correctly. if not done it will cause the misfire code to pop randomly
Old 02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Teching In

The guy I bought the car from had it dyno tuned, plus after I purchased the car I had it re-dyno tuned and specifically told them about the idling...after the tune the car idled alot better but still flucuates after first start up beteen 800 and 1300 rpms until the car gets warm.

Another problem is, when I take the car to the shop where I had it dynoed...the damn code is gone because its back in my home town...so there is no code and the car dyno's fine

But still why does it only come on when Im at the beach?

thanks,

pride

Last edited by 350pride; 02-16-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: im a idiot
Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First does it just throw the code or does it actually start misfiring? Your car jumps around at idle because your base running airflow tables are most likely wrong and you idle over/underspeed tables are off. But like Ryne said there are 4 tables in the DTC area that need to be addressed. Most likely it is the moisture in the air that is causing it. I would take it back to the tuner and tell him. If you had a copy of hp tuners I could give you a hand.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Teching In

it just throws the code.....Only once did it misfire: when it hit low 20's and I woke up late for an exam. I just throw it in gear and took off dead cold, it misfired (code light flash). other than that nothing just the code...no power lose or anything.

I will call my tuner tomorrow and see what he says

thanks,

pride
Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

My car has the same problem random misfires in the cold and wet.
Pm me if you figure out what the fix.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Have you checked the plugs or wires?The reason I ask is my Ford truck would run like crap anytime it rained or snowed.I ended up being the ignition module but maybe a plug or wire just doesn't work right if moisture is a little high.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Teching In

I dont know what it is....its been going on for a few months...but now its been cold and wet here at the outbanks and no check engine light.....its retarded...."if you want a car to work as intended dont make it work at all" me

its going to be awhile before I can figure something out bc I only go home on the weekends and the place where i take my car closes at 6 on friday and does not open till monday

thanks,

pride

Last edited by 350pride; 02-18-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: im an idiot