LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need help quick...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help quick...

ok well some of yal have been keeping up with the camaro i bought for 2500 with an oil problem.....well i took off the valve covers becasue the rockers were clicking bad

...when i did most of the rockers were so loose you could turn them ...the first 2 pushrods had bent and rubbed around on the head and tore the guides all to hell..... gasket was trash....

well the oil sending unit was broke ...i replaced it and it showed oil psi but idled bad ect so i shut it off....well when i did pull the covers off there was no oil at all at the rockers. now reads 0 again.....i still owe the guy 500 but im really debating if i should becasue we think something internal is wrong ....(brady and james).

also the air foil was not included
the rockers and pushrods were stock ...

so some of the stuff on the reciepts were bogges ...

heads are lt4 and the intake im not sure yet...

whats everyones opinion ..what should i do ...and where sould i start...Replacing the pump or go ahead and look for a new short block and use my cam ect....
Old 02-17-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what were the terms of purchase?
have you contacted him about this matter before addressing it here?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

i bought the car based on what i was told it had ....he said it was the oil pump.....but newho the car was most of what he said....the headliner was missing i didnt know that ..the tranny slips..the above was wrong with it and something inernaly could be wrong with it ....the cam could be bad ...we are pretty sure sthe are a few bad valves...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

you bought the car AS-IS, used. with no implied warranty. i'm pretty sure you wont be able to give it back to him, legally.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i didnt say i wanted to give it back i just dont think i should pay the extra five hundred.....if everything woould have been like he said even if it wasnt the pump i would be fine but...the rockers are diff than told the trans slips the headliner was gone the airfoil the cam came up as a hot cam with 494 lift instead of 525 lift wich i have no idea why ....but its 400 to 500 on parts that i didnt know about plus maybe a 700 rebuild
Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just wannt to wats right so we both win....
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if the guy lied about it i would ask for the money back and give the car back. otherwise i would say you should have inspected the car before taking ownership. not to be a dick but it sounds like you didnt have the extra 500 and now are just looking for a reason to not have to pay.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you still owe him the $500.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mthegodfather
I think you still owe him the $500.
+1

you can ask him about it, but i'm gonna go ahead and say he's legally entitled to that $500. if he's a nice guy, he might let you slide on it after you explain.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats what im saying tho .... he worked with me and i worked with him and i want the best possible outcome ... i do have the money but not to pay him....im just saying do i have a reason to even talk to him to work it out or should i just leave itt be...the guy needed the money to move andi sent him 2000 asap and then got the car .. and inspected it because im so far away...
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

im not trying to get out of it becuase i dont have it becasue its up to him if i send it or not not me if that makes since ...becasue that was the agreement
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's also legally entitled to tell the potential owner everything they know about the car, and if he said it had aftermarket rockers and they aren't on there, then he removed them and that'd be almost stealing. Given how the rockers are, it's a good bet he did and then just threw on the rockers 'tight' where ever the piston was, which is why they're so damn far out of alignment.

It's ironic that the guy in the other thread who said we're ******* nuts for mentioning to part it out, and I countered with how bad the motor could be and the hundreds more it could cost to get it running and look where we are It sucks being right sometimes, but this isn't an "I told you so" to you 93blk

Considering the condition things are becoming, I'd say you're more than entitled to an extra $500. How you go about that though, I can't even begin to offer a suggestion :\ I feel your pain though, as I was sold a boat anchor for a transmission and was told it's good and was just rebuilt etc. Faaaar from the truth as it had a cracked case unlike anything the rebuilders I took it to have ever seen (due to the location) and the 'rebuild' was just new clutches with old steels. Anyways, I'll stop ranting, but I think you should tell him that there's far more than $500 in repairs that'll need to be done. The trans alone, if you rebuild it and not swap in a TH350 or something, will cost $600 easy.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just talk to the guy and see what he says.
I think the lift for the cam came up different because 525 is with 1.6 rockers instead of stockers.
Sorry about your situation, I cant stand when someone sells something and lies about it, its just like stealing money out of your pocket.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

well the guy is a great guy dont get me wrong....the guy sounded knowledgable and everyhtning and said he has the reciepts ...some but just some of the stuff just wasnt right ...weather he didi it and knew about it or had no idea...but he still played off as if he did and was confident with proof wich is his bad ..he should have been sure before he said it cam with so and so ..
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

another thing is..he said the car huled *** and ran great before the oil problem ....well i dont see how that could be.....when i got the car it idled bad the rockers were so loose it couldnt have ran good in anyones eyes it would have been cutting and and robbed of powere ....
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You pay him $500 period. You still got a good deal if they are in fact LT4 heads as verified by the casting number.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

some of the valves are jacked
Old 02-17-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, consider the engine trash. Beings that you're finding all kinds of goodies wrong with the engine it isn't worth it to take a chance. Take it out, start tearing it down, and start from scratch using the good parts (LT4 heads, etc.).
Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would of course show him things before you start to fully tear down the motor. If he's willing to give you your money back (unlikely, but one has to keep up hope) and you want to do that, then you'll not want to give him back the motor in pieces lol I'd still keep it and go with the part-out option at the very least. I wasn't aware it had LT4 heads originally.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

no he had his bills do this weekend and i gave him the money and he got them paid ...i want to keep the car but not for the extra 500 ..plus i had an extra 100 on sending the money ....so yea and ive already started pulliing it apart to fix it i went broke on getting this car with every bit of my money...and came up with the rest by borrowning it ...but no i would also have to come up witha lot more that i didnt know about untill it got here...