LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Running Rough, Need Group Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Rough, Need Group Analysis

Car is a 1995 Impala SS 154,XXX miles. Ive owned it sense Jan 2008. I'll do my best to describe what its doing...

It will start fine, run fine for about 2-3 mins till it gets warm and finds true idle. Then it starts to "choke". Some cylinders aren't going off. The car wont die, and when you jump on the throttle it will go in and out, like run fine for 2 seconds then all the sudden im without a couple cylinders. I can turn the car off let it sit for a minute or 2 then turn it back on and its fine for 2-3 minutes, then it does it again.

I just got the car scanned at pep boys to see if i could pull a code and none came up.

I have about 41lbs of fuel pressure, and didn't find any leaks down the intake piping.... Im thinking its a sensor due to the fact it wont act up till it gets warm, and i can turn it off and its fine for a minute or 2. But don't know for sure.

So need some ideas for all of you on what it might be, money is tight so i don't wanna replace something that isn't the issue.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FearTheDeer
Car is a 1995 Impala SS 154,XXX miles. Ive owned it sense Jan 2008. I'll do my best to describe what its doing...

It will start fine, run fine for about 2-3 mins till it gets warm and finds true idle. Then it starts to "choke". Some cylinders aren't going off. The car wont die, and when you jump on the throttle it will go in and out, like run fine for 2 seconds then all the sudden im without a couple cylinders. I can turn the car off let it sit for a minute or 2 then turn it back on and its fine for 2-3 minutes, then it does it again.

I just got the car scanned at pep boys to see if i could pull a code and none came up.

I have about 41lbs of fuel pressure, and didn't find any leaks down the intake piping.... Im thinking its a sensor due to the fact it wont act up till it gets warm, and i can turn it off and its fine for a minute or 2. But don't know for sure.

So need some ideas for all of you on what it might be, money is tight so i don't wanna replace something that isn't the issue.
You need to test your ICM and coil. Also clean your MAF and get your car scanned to see if your o2's are oscillating with in the required range. You could also unplug your MAF and o2's and take your car for a spin and see if any of your symptoms disappear.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Was a bad plug wire, and 2 others about to fail
Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FearTheDeer
Was a bad plug wire, and 2 others about to fail
That's why the first thing I asked you a long time ago was how old are your wires and coil...glad you got if figured out.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
That's why the first thing I asked you a long time ago was how old are your wires and coil...glad you got if figured out.
Well my answer to you was idk.... LOL

Quick Reply: Running Rough, Need Group Analysis