View Full Version : GM Disbands High Performance Operations

CaribooLou
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
"Coinciding with the release of General Motors' Viability Plan, the automaker has disbanded its High Performance Vehicle Operations team, the crew responsible for the line V-series Cadillacs, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and the V8 version of the Colorado. According to Vince Muniga, a spokesman for the General, "All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold. The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs." Muniga went on to say that there are no plans for high-performance versions of upcoming plans, but once (if?) GM is in a better financial position, the team could be reinstated."

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/breaking-gm-disbands-high-performance-vehicle-operations/

Ravenous T\A
02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
what no SS Camaro then? Or SS anything?

TriShield
02-18-2009, 05:14 PM
No, it just means there won't be any future performance variants after the current models run their course.

TriShield
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
There went the last reason for me and many others to continue to purchase GM products.

Yes, GM has lagged in many areas but affordable, fun and exciting performance has never been one of them. It’s always been one of GM’s strong suits and something they are good at. So what sense really does it make to disband the PVO team? Especially when SVT just released a refreshed Mustang GT500 and potent F150 Raptor?

Disbanding PVO isn’t going to make a big difference on GM’s bottom line. The move is more political than anything else.

PVO added some shine to GM’s mostly mediocre product portfolio. They took terrible cars like the Cobalt and turned them into something respectable and desirable. They took good cars like the CTS and made it into the machine it deserves to be.

This is just another example of GM not recognizing one good thing about their company and flushing more of their brand equity down the toilet.

With or without PVO GM is done anyway. It’s just a matter of time before the facade crumbles.

95zpro
02-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Poor leadership at the helm; am I the only one that sees this. A company gets their lead from the top and when you have poor leadership any company will eventually deteriorate!

camar0corey
02-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Wow. I don't like almost any vehicles coming out now by any manufacture foreign or domestic anyway, seems like every vehicle has some new trick or something, completely removing any semblance of needing driver skill. Fuck new vehicles.

OK so trying to look green or some bullshit, I'm just hoping I don't live to see the day where they drive themselves and they tell us too fucking bad.

Teal94Z
02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Does that mean no GM stage kit for the cobalt ss?

Sarge_13
02-18-2009, 05:50 PM

That means NO Cobalt SS period, apparently.
And I'm sure that performance orientated cars like the Camaro and Corvette will still be produced

Teal94Z
02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
And I'm sure that performance orientated cars like the Camaro and Corvette will still be produced

this is a sad day for gm indeed:cry:

kevink89
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
it is political just to keep all those global warmin nuts to shut up i find this news very depressing do u guys tink if gm gos under will it completely shut down or will there still be ppl makin chevy and pontiacs and wat not in the factorys just not under the "gm" corporation. like will they break off into smaller companys or just shut down alltogether

beerwhiskeyjoe
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Look at who's signing the checks for the govt. cheese. All they have to do is play the part until they get back on their feet, if they get back on their feet, and everything will be better than before this all happened.

Sinner
02-18-2009, 06:24 PM

There'll still be a Cobalt SS, it just means no Cruze SS, or any next gen performance variants until GM makes money.

If you cruise over to GMI there's a thread about how GM has a Camaro Z28 ready to go, paid for, tested ect but they don't think they can release it in this climate because the general public will cry foul. GM has no choice in closing the performance dept, the average Joe already doesn't like the idea of the bridge loans, to them spending money on performance cars doesn't make sense.

It's not all bad, GM can still farm out those projects to Saleen ect like they did with the 4th Gens and SLP.

The World of Wheels is in town this weekend sponsored by GM, that struck me as odd, you'd think that would have gotten the axe before a lot of other programs.

Sarge_13
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
the automaker has disbanded its High Performance Vehicle Operations team, the crew responsible for the line V-series Cadillacs, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and the V8 version of the Colorado.

There'll still be a Cobalt SS, it just means no Cruze SS, or any next gen performance variants until GM makes money.

Huh?
I'm more sad about the V lineup than anything here.

wabmorgan
02-18-2009, 07:21 PM
the process has begun

:( :( :(

Sinner
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Huh?
I'm more sad about the V lineup than anything here.

The cars are still gonna be produced, they're built on the same lines as the regular versions not in some mystical super factory.

All that is happening is the engineers responsible for designing/testing SS/V cars are being reassigned until GM can be more profitable. Therefore no new models, Ie no Cruze SS, no Malibu SS, no Cadillac Alpha platformed V car.

All existing products will continue until those products run their course.

English is a tough language but come on people.

WSsick
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
HELLO?! DID EVERYONE MISS THIS?

The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs."

didnt they just say they were slimming the GM lineup to Chevy, Cadillac, buick & GMC? Pontiac was supposed to have the axe can they please make up their minds?

On topic, I agree, PVO is a small portion of GM & should still be kept around. get this shitty leadership out now! they dont know what to do these days with anything.

shoemike
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
:soapbox:
The way this company has been run,
I`m surprised it has not gone under years ago.
It`s time to realize that you can not: go in the hole billions,
borrow billions, and reduce output then expect to
suddenly turn around and make a profit.
This company will never overcome the debt they have,
and then compete with all the other auto makers out there.

Eventually they will make cars to order. :disgust:

CrabhartLS1
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
So it seems to me GM has just given me more reasons why not to buy a new GM vehicle.

ElkyRacer
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Didnt Ford 'axe' the SVT program a few years ago? Still quite a few HiPo cars coming out of there stable, even without SVT.

TriShield
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
It's 1973 all over again.

TriShield
02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Didnt Ford 'axe' the SVT program a few years ago? Still quite a few HiPo cars coming out of there stable, even without SVT.

SVT just released a refreshed Mustang GT500 and F150 Raptor.

z_speedfreak
02-18-2009, 10:45 PM
im sure this was done to appease the gov't..
idiots!

WECIV
02-18-2009, 11:42 PM
They will be back. We will have our Maro and Vette.

W

Blackened2k
02-19-2009, 12:23 AM
I wish I could be surprised by this news....

MadIceV8
02-19-2009, 12:30 AM
GM should upgrade all there vehicles to the performance models and get rid of the mundane ones. Yet keep the price comparable to the mundane version :). Then there would be no reason to not purchase GM :).

Juicy J
02-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Thats depressing... Its going to be an interesting year for them.

LS1LT1
02-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Disbanding PVO isn’t going to make a big difference on GM’s bottom line. The move is more political than anything else.You may be right, it might only be a political move simply to impress our very fuel efficiency conscious, treehugging president and his team.
But ya know what, if that political move ultimately saves GM, a legendary American icon, then it's fine by me.
We (currently) still have the Corvette line (three separate vehicles worth), the Camaro SS, the CTS/CTS-V, the Cobalt SS, the G8 GT etc so performance is still alive and well at GM for now.

With or without PVO GM is done anyway. It’s just a matter of time before the facade crumbles.C'mon man, you can at least sound a little disappointed/upset about it, a sad face icon, something.

LS1LT1
02-19-2009, 03:26 AM
That means NO Cobalt SS period, apparently.Not necessary true at all. The current Cobalt SS is still being produced and will be for at least a few more years until the Cobalt line gets replaced by the Cruze.
The Cobalt SS is quite the quick little car too :thumb: and can be purchased for under $21k right now if one is willing to look hard enough.

CaribooLou
02-19-2009, 05:45 AM
HELLO?! DID EVERYONE MISS THIS?

didnt they just say they were slimming the GM lineup to Chevy, Cadillac, buick & GMC? Pontiac was supposed to have the axe can they please make up their minds?

On topic, I agree, PVO is a small portion of GM & should still be kept around. get this shitty leadership out now! they dont know what to do these days with anything.

According to GM's economic viability plan Saturn, Saab, and Hummer are most likely to get the axe, Pontiac will be slimmed down and turned into a "niche" brand for now.

WSsick
02-19-2009, 08:06 AM
According to GM's economic viability plan Saturn, Saab, and Hummer are most likely to get the axe, Pontiac will be slimmed down and turned into a "niche" brand for now.

ive seen that but just the other day, there was news in another thread that Pontiac is goin down the pooper too. lemme go find it.

WSsick
02-19-2009, 08:08 AM
here ya go cariboolou: click me (http://http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/automotive-news-media-press/1066364-gm-viability-plan-hummer-saturn-saab-finished-2.html) (post #21)

edit: when i try n click the link it wont work, so just go to the viability plan thread (in this section), post #21.

Urban Legend
02-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Too bad. I guess AMG and M will have to satisfy my performance needs.

Tainted
02-19-2009, 08:31 AM
good-bye gm

I knew their dumbasses wouldnt be able to hold their shit together.

So, who likes them new BMW M3's with the V8?

TT632
02-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Where there is a market, someone will fill the void. Unfortunately, the aftermarket doesn't have the same capability of a GM. On the other hand, they are not held to the same constraints as an OEM, so they can modify a vehicle as they see fit without complying to the constraints of FMVSS or internally mandated tests. Toyota dropped any resemblance of a performance car other than the Corrolla S and did fine.

Shackleford
02-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Isn't the CEO supposed to retire this year or something?

Tainted
02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Isn't the CEO supposed to retire this year or something?

yea bob lutz the putz

maddboost
02-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I understand in business times this is something that needs to be done but it does suck. Im in the market for a new truck and have really closely been looking at a Toyota Tundra. They are pretty quick, the few people I know who have them like them, and when they do need to go to the dealer its not a problem getting a loaner. Getting a service loaner out of my Chevy dealer for something that takes more than a day is like pulling teeth. My dad goes to his Toyota dealer and if its anything more than a few hours of work they give him a loaner no questions asked, and its never a model below what he brings in for service.

Plus Toyota offers a factory option TRD supercharger that doesnt void the warranty.
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0811_2008_toyota_tundra_trd_supercharged_test/index.html

Jakes Dad
02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Poor leadership at the helm; am I the only one that sees this. A company gets their lead from the top and when you have poor leadership any company will eventually deteriorate!

The truth of matter is GM is no longer running GM. Nancy, Harry, Tom, and perhaps a Dick or two are ie OUR GOVERNMENT

GM isn't good enough to sell the idea of needing a High Performance Car group to the government.

With the government running the auto industry expect electric cars as a requirement, real soon.

But don't worry the high performance auto industry didn't exist in 1962 either. You bought a Nova, you changed the rear to a 4:10 4:11, dropped a 327 into the car with two 4's. You installed a four speed. You bought soft recapped tires. Learning how to do something is always more fun than having a car company hand a finished product to you.:D:D

:angel: Jakes Dad

LS1LT1
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
So, who likes them new BMW M3's with the V8?I like them.
But I like torque more. ;)

LS1LT1
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
But don't worry the high performance auto industry didn't exist in 1962 either. You bought a Nova, you changed the rear to a 4:10 4:11, dropped a 327 into the car with two 4's. You installed a four speed. You bought soft recapped tires. Learning how to do something is always more fun than having a car company hand a finished product to you.:D:DTrue :nod:

Fulton 1
02-19-2009, 01:16 PM

It is my understanding (from discussion with a vendor that has been in contact with GM directly this morning) that the LNF Cobalt SS turbo upgrade package is still a go. Apparently they are being built for GMPP so that means they are unaffected. Kits are supposedly still a couple of months out due to certification, validation, etc.

jmurray87
02-19-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-safe-from-hpvo-shuttering/#comments

When General Motors made the announcement yesterday that it was shutting down it High Performance Vehicle Operations, a few questions surfaced about what would happen to the models that haven't hit dealers but are still in the pipeline. While the answers seemed obvious to us (development's done so they're still on the way), GM spokesman Vince Muniga sought to address the concerns of enthusiasts.

Muniga told InsideLine that the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS is coming out and "is not threatened at all." Furthermore, and just as obvious, the Cadillac CTS-V, Cobalt SS and HHR SS will soldier on until their production run ends, and vehicles like the Camaro SS, Corvette ZR1 and Z06 – all of which were developed as regular production models, not through HPVO – are safe.

The 60 or so engineers behind the HPVO team are still receiving paychecks with Wagoner's signature and have begun working on everything from passenger vehicles to crossovers. According to Muniga, "We're not going to let those talents go to waste."

JUICED96Z
02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
The move is more political than anything else.

Yep, they can't ask for money when they still are investing money into cars that don't sell alot... lets face it......... they sell a lot more base cobalts then ZR1's....

Its like them showing up to ask for money and the fly in in corporate jets... it does not look good.

TriShield
02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
It's good they clarified the news. What they produced will continue through it's life cycle, just nothing new for the forseeable future.

95zpro
02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=Jakes Dad;11087091]The truth of matter is GM is no longer running GM. Nancy, Harry, Tom, and perhaps a Dick or two are ie OUR GOVERNMENT

Now GM is being run by the government but not before it was run into the ground by the current executive staff.

But don't worry the high performance auto industry didn't exist in 1962 either. You bought a Nova, you changed the rear to a 4:10 4:11, dropped a 327 into the car with two 4's. You installed a four speed. You bought soft recapped tires. Learning how to do something is always more fun than having a car company hand a finished product to you.:D:D

The good old days when engine bays actually had space to work in (you didn't need a lift to work on your car) and cars where fairly simple!

BTTM
02-19-2009, 06:18 PM

Bottom line

Fulton 1
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Yep, they can't ask for money when they still are investing money into cars that don't sell alot... lets face it......... they sell a lot more base cobalts then ZR1's....

Its like them showing up to ask for money and the fly in in corporate jets... it does not look good.

Look at the hybrid sales numbers (http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009/01/hybrid-sales-crater-amidst-lower-gas-prices.html) for 2008 - they ain't been sellin' a lot either. Base cobalts, sure, but do we really need this top notch engineering talent designing these cars? Maybe I'll start a corporate account with Enterprise...

Regarding the private jet "issue", the execs should have never showed up to "ask for money" - that was their first mistake. Private jets serve a great purpose and help support a decent amount of infrastructure. Its getting old to hear the uneducated public bash anything and everything dealing with "corporate greed and CEOs" and then lamenting the lack of leadership in the same breath. Think about it.

Hell, now we have the .gov "designing" cars. The same geniouses that brought you the __________ crisis {insert crisis of your choice} will now be telling you what you ought to be driving. :eyes:

nickate
02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
And don't forget....

They're giving NEW MORTGAGES to people that didn't pay their OLD Mortgages!!!

What the _______ makes ANYBODY think they're going to pay the new one??????

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Here comes change alright....

z_speedfreak
02-19-2009, 11:52 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-safe-from-hpvo-shuttering/#comments
well some good might come out of this.. if all the hi-po engineers and designers get shifted over to working on the normal/mundane cars, maybe they wont be so normal after all:devil:
And don't forget....

They're giving NEW MORTGAGES to people that didn't pay their OLD Mortgages!!!

What the _______ makes ANYBODY think they're going to pay the new one??????

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Here comes change alright....
yeah say goodbye wellfare reform too:bang:
o and whats that we're going to need another $4trillion for another bail out for the banks:mad: cant we all just say no and ask for our share which would be over $300,000 per SSN

nickate
02-20-2009, 08:34 AM
well some good might come out of this.. if all the hi-po engineers and designers get shifted over to working on the normal/mundane cars, maybe they wont be so normal after all:devil:

yeah say goodbye wellfare reform too:bang:
o and whats that we're going to need another $4trillion for another bail out for the banks:mad: cant we all just say no and ask for our share which would be over $300,000 per SSN

I'm runnin' to my mailbox RIGHT NOW!!!!

It's all about the control... PUT A HOLD ON PAYROLL TAXES FOR 12 mos.
Oh. but non-workers wouldn't get any. (People drawing unemployment as well as welfare WOULD see it, though.)

Seriously--- shoot a quick email to your congressman.... IF YOU DON'T do anything you have 0 right to bitch.... I'm learning that now with a lot of other bill paying responsible people...

phirepower
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
FLD report (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViGrzLKU2Jc&feature=subscription)

phirepower
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Country is dying. Be happy most of you don't live in MA were Deval Patrick is ruining life to the Nth degree

bearcatt
02-20-2009, 12:23 PM
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

z_speedfreak
02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Seriously--- shoot a quick email to your congressman.... IF YOU DON'T do anything you have 0 right to bitch.... I'm learning that now with a lot of other bill baying responsible people...
argh I just had to type everything out twice since there was some sort of bs error the 1st time but I did email my reps

Teal94Z
02-21-2009, 02:35 AM
It is my understanding (from discussion with a vendor that has been in contact with GM directly this morning) that the LNF Cobalt SS turbo upgrade package is still a go. Apparently they are being built for GMPP so that means they are unaffected. Kits are supposedly still a couple of months out due to certification, validation, etc.

i hope so cuz i am buying one in the next few weeks and i want a warranty still

DropTopBird
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Im still a little confused on this. Does this mean if GM lasts through the trouble that theyre in there will only be base models of vehicles? Since the v8 Camaro is technically the SS, does this mean it will be canned if it lasts through its current design phase? With the corvette, is it only the ZR1 thats getting the boot or does that include the Z06 too? If they take those out, who is going to want to buy a base model vette or a 6banger camaro?

Edit: Haha not knocking anyone w/ a base vette in that....its still prob faster than my TA :P

SSNISTR
02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Country is dying. Be happy most of you don't live in MA were Deval Patrick is ruining life to the Nth degree

I'd be more concerned with the dumb ass Red Sox fans LOL.:secret2: