PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth upgrading to EFILive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is it worth upgrading to EFILive?

I have the standard AT1 Autotap cable and run the Dos Autotap software. I will probably be getting LS1edit in the near future. Is it worth it to "upgrade" to EFILive with the Pro cable?
Old 10-12-2003, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is it worth upgrading to EFILive?

I decided (today) to make the same transition. I've been running DOS AutoTap for a couple years now, and am ready for a change. My understanding is that EFILive can be configured to log data MUCH faster than AutoTap DOS. I hate only getting a couple frames per second of data when running the 1/4 mile.

I'm getting in on the GP from Thunder that's going on right now.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2003, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm getting in on the GP from Thunder that's going on right now.

Andrew
Yeah, that my plan. Probably sell my AT1 cable and get in on the GP.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:45 PM
blownerator

wont the AT1 cable work with the efi live?
Old 10-12-2003, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

My understanding is that EFILive can be configured to log data MUCH faster than AutoTap DOS. I hate only getting a couple frames per second of data when running the 1/4 mile.
You will be pleased. In 10x24 mode, you get 10 frames per second with 24 pids selected. Just make sure your laptop is fast enough or you'll drop frames. Mine was fine with V5, but in V6 I have to keep it on the data view, my laptop is not fast enough for the real time graphs.

Eric
Old 10-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Restricted User

You will be pleased. In 10x24 mode, you get 10 frames per second with 24 pids selected. Just make sure your laptop is fast enough or you'll drop frames. Mine was fine with V5, but in V6 I have to keep it on the data view, my laptop is not fast enough for the real time graphs.
Eric
Eric, you'll be pleased to know that we have improved the chart drawing speed. The charts now plot 2.5 to 10 times faster (depending on how many charts you display).
So chances are you will be able to view charts in real time like you can in V5.
That fix is available in V6.1.6 which is due out soon.

Regads
Paul
Old 10-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Restricted User

Yes it will, but you can't use bidirectional controls with the V1 cable.
Paul
Old 10-12-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool,

Guess the question still remains though. Is the bidirectional controls worth the extra $$$ for the upgraded cable?
Old 10-12-2003, 10:40 PM
Restricted User

Cool,

Guess the question still remains though. Is the bidirectional controls worth the extra $$$ for the upgraded cable?
You can buy the Standard software license (for about $145) and use it with your V1 cable.

If you find that you want the bidi controls in future you can upgrade your cable to V2 (about $100) and upgrade the software to Pro (about $60)
Which is still cheaper than buying the Pro version straight up. (unless you get a good group buy discount).

See this page for upgrade details:
http://www.autotap.com/upgrades.html

Paul
Old 10-12-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

IMHO before buying 1st look at the Ease GM enhanced Personal scanner.
http://obd2.com

For the same price as other laptop scanners you now get bi directional for free and the newest release of 3.0 has a Warp speed mode that only Ease has since they are the only scanner vendor to be a tier 2 supplier to GM and be certified for EPA smog test shops.
They also are the only ones to get direct updates from GM as to each car and truck model year as GM adds, moves, or renames PIDs in the PCM.
It is also the only of the scanners to allow adding the body/chassis functions so that you can also monitor all other modules in the car/truck.
They also now are already supporting the new GM CAN GMLAN protocol in their interfaces for OBD-III

Old 10-12-2003, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Ease looks like a good program, but I'm not sure if alot of people have it. I'd hate to have something no one could help me with.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Ease body/chassis monitoring is WAY overpriced, according to their website its only in the professional version.

How fast is the Warp speed mode? I have yet to see any metrics on it.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:24 AM
Restricted User

John,

What is the difference between Eases "Warp Speed" and EFILive's "GM Fast Dynamic" scan mode?
I'm happy to provide the tech specs on EFILive's high speed logging mode for comparison.

Can you provide metrics as 66ImpalaLT1 requested?

I would also be interested to see you explain the technical specs of Warp Speed. Without contradicting the many emails you posted last year about how EFILive's high speed data logging was impossible.

I am sceptical that data can be logged faster than EFILive's 24 channels at 10 frames per second - since those restrictions are programmed into the PCM - we know, we've decompiled the software in the LS1 PCM.

Regards
Paul
Old 10-13-2003, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

I too am very interested in hearing how Ease get the 'warp speed' communications. For those that actually understand the PCM's internal workings know that the Communications routines only get serviced every 'x' amount of times per second anyway.
EFILive already (and has done for a while), use the fastest mode available (Same as Tech2).
So what gives Ease boys
Old 10-13-2003, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.

Yes it will, but you can't use bidirectional controls with the V1 cable.
Paul
I tried to order the efilive for v1 hardware, then the lady emailed me that they needed the cable serial number. So I emailed them a screenshot from efilive where it displays the sn during connection. Then she said the software won't work with v1 hardware. I told here that picture was taken from efilive while running, and that it does run (only 5 seconds for unregistered) on v1 hardware. She said they are having a tech look into it....
Old 10-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Isn't Team ZR1 the same dude that got a permanent ban from LS1.com?

Regardless, and in full disclosure, I have assisted with EFILive V6 during beta testing, and have found it to be a stable platform. The cable requirements are dictated by licensing arrangements thru B&B, who make Autotap, and the program extracts the "enhanced" data as fast as possible from the PCM's in the LS1 and LS6 engines, as well as performs basic OBDII scan tool modes for most other GM models.

Keep in mind that "officially" from B&B only EFILive V5 is offered. This is being addressed, and so some of their people may not be fully "up to speed" on V6. Cut them a bit of slack, and by all means double check the www.efilive.com site. That's the quickest way to get information as to the status of what works and what doesn't, latest version, possible workarounds, etc...

MRK

Old 10-13-2003, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Isn't Team ZR1 the same dude that got a permanent ban from LS1.com?
LOL.. you just described half the staff of this board

Anyway, BACK on TOPIC.

What are the true difference between having the bidirection cable and not?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Bi-directional operation allows you to overide certain functions of the pcm while the laptop is hooked up tp the computer. In v6 Bi-directional controlls allow you to raise IAC, raise idle rpm and perform a cylinder balance test, etc. In v5 it allows you to overide spark and fuel maps.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Ease body/chassis monitoring is WAY overpriced, according to their website its only in the professional version.

How fast is the Warp speed mode? I have yet to see any metrics on it.
It is not overpriced as to the functions your getting.
People confuse the fact options can be added to both Personal and Pro versions and as for Pro version unlike other brand scanners my Pro allows me to connect to ALL GM cars and light trucks (1983 to present)that are OBD I, OBD-II, generic OBD, GM enhanced and soon OBD-III, plus allows my pocket PC scanner to be used as a data logger and then move to the recordings to the Pro version so Pro has a lot more use then other so called Pro versions.

Last month Ease had a special that allowed existing owners or new owners of Personal (not Pro )version to add body/chassis and some other options for only $100 but this forum deleted my post so that others would not read it so thank them for missing out on that Ease special.
Those that did hear about it went with the special and are very happy they did and will also get V 3 which has even more features.

As to Warp mode, I have been testing it for over 1 year with hundreds of GM cars and over 3,000 PCM recording and its speed is way beyond what people are being told by other scanner vendors. You get the EPA standard of 10 F/ps with as many as 50 PIDs concurrently, switch to 20 F/ps or 40 F/ps.
I frankly can care less what scanner people use but I do think they should look at the ONLY GM and EPA certified scanner which is from Ease for it makes our job easier when you have the right tools in tracking down a problem or are tuning the PCM.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

The Ease looks like a good program, but I'm not sure if alot of people have it. I'd hate to have something no one could help me with.
You may not see Ease mentioned a lot because of forums being bias against nameplates and as you notice any time another brand is mentioned people get personally attacked just for giving their view of the scanner they use.
Ease is the largest vendor of PCM scanners for the personal and professional use. It is the only one of the laptop types used by those on these forums that is approved by GM and EPA to where some states mandate Ease being using for smog testing so that assures your using it that you would get the same results as the smog shops.
Ease has not won several product design awards for having a product no one uses.