Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me piece together a 4L60 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Help me piece together a 4L60 build

In the next few weeks I will be pulling the transmission on my 50,000 mile Trans Am to install its new Yank SS4000 converter. While the transmission is out, I'm interested in upgrading its internals to make it a little tougher and handle the additional power it will be making. A friend of mine who works at a local shop in town has offered to do the labor at a very reasonable price. I'm no expert on automatics so any help will be greatly appreciated. Not looking to break the bank but I would really like to fix some of the common failure points of a 4L60.

Mods:

Vengeance Racing VRX5 cam, and full bolt ons.
Yank SS4000 Stall

Also need to decide on a good cooler, any suggestions?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is whats it the apf trans I bought:

New electronics, Hardened pump rings, Servo D ring kit instead of Teflon rings, New Accumulator Pistons, New Valve Body Spacer Plate, Modified Pump Assembly, Oversized Boost Valve, Transgo Hi-Rev Release Springs, High Quality Overhaul Kit, Frictions and Bushings, Transgo Shift kit, Borg Warner dual cage 29 element Input Sprag, Corvette 2nd gear Servo kit, Wide rear sun gear bushing, Heavy duty sun gear shell "The Beast", High Energy 2-4 Band High Energy 7 friction clutch pack with full thickness Kolene Steels, High RPM Transgo pump slide spring, Teflon Pump Bushing

most run a B&M 24K cooler
Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My transmission has all stated above^^^^^ with slight differences in brands most likely. For instance "The Beast" sunshell, i have a "Monster" sunshell, only difference is mine has other optional bearing uses. All mentioned are good upgrades, you mentoned getting a cooler, which is great since you have a stall. I have a cooler made by hayden. I would also look into getting a deep pan. Extra fluid capacity is nice when needing to dispurse extra heat caused by the convertor.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bret@EFIAlchemy
My transmission has all stated above^^^^^ with slight differences in brands most likely. For instance "The Beast" sunshell, i have a "Monster" sunshell, only difference is mine has other optional bearing uses. All mentioned are good upgrades, you mentoned getting a cooler, which is great since you have a stall. I have a cooler made by hayden. I would also look into getting a deep pan. Extra fluid capacity is nice when needing to dispurse extra heat caused by the convertor.
what size of hayden cooler do you have? dave at yank recommended me i believe an oc-1670, but I cant cross reference that part number to jegs or summit. a link perhaps?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by streetassasin
this is whats it the apf trans I bought:

New electronics, Hardened pump rings, Servo D ring kit instead of Teflon rings, New Accumulator Pistons, New Valve Body Spacer Plate, Modified Pump Assembly, Oversized Boost Valve, Transgo Hi-Rev Release Springs, High Quality Overhaul Kit, Frictions and Bushings, Transgo Shift kit, Borg Warner dual cage 29 element Input Sprag, Corvette 2nd gear Servo kit, Wide rear sun gear bushing, Heavy duty sun gear shell "The Beast", High Energy 2-4 Band High Energy 7 friction clutch pack with full thickness Kolene Steels, High RPM Transgo pump slide spring, Teflon Pump Bushing

most run a B&M 24K cooler
where o where can i buy a KIT with all this in it...i have a buddy thats builts trannys....he's not the boss..so he'll just do the labor...
and How much????
thx's...
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by geovett
where o where can i buy a KIT with all this in it...i have a buddy thats builts trannys....he's not the boss..so he'll just do the labor...
and How much????
thx's...
good call....its a lot to comprehend. and definitely a lot to shop for. itd be really nice if someone sold a little package that could mildly improve the longevity of the 4L60. eventually I'll spring for an actual built tranny but for the time being, i'd really like to do this if i can get away with it for 300 dollars or so.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

^ PMed both of yall
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by streetassasin
^ PMed both of yall
Got it.............thx's
Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattl31
what size of hayden cooler do you have? dave at yank recommended me i believe an oc-1670, but I cant cross reference that part number to jegs or summit. a link perhaps?
I have a "Rapid Cool" from this link, haydenauto.com ran me about $55, easy to install and did not hack up the car in any way. So in the event of a future 6 speed swap i will be able to remove it without being damaged. I believe its a 2400 series.

http://www.haydenauto.com/products/t...il-coolers.htm